• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Mash Hawk - Web Site

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irpinc

Reaction score
PUT A COUPLE OF VIDS ON THE SITE. I'll add a lot more as I brew more!

ok, I know, but at least its a start.

www.irpinconline.com

I'm working on a tech page too.

Thanks all once again for all the feedback and help. Keep it coming PLEASE!

That is a great start. As somebody who is interested in buying one please let me give you some constructive points of what I was looking for.

-Pictures of the lid
-specs
-shipping weight
-shipping calculator (even if just for reference)
-where this is located
-A paypal gateway

Thanks Man!

Lid - ya thinking images of just the lid and not on the unit?
Specs - just threw a page together a couple minutes ago. PLEASE keep letn me know what else you guys want to know and want to see on that page.
Shipping Weight - we will ship UPS and its the size and not weight that we are priced on.
Shipping Calculator: I'm not sure I'm smart enough to figure that out. lol. I do have some close estimates per region. Maybe I can get that posted.
I'll do some research on the paypal thing.

We are in NE Iowa! and yeah, I should have that on the site. I'll add it to the contacts page.

Is the output valve that high? Or is the inside bottom not the same as the outside bottom? It looks good. I'm not sure anyone would ever buy the base model though. Wouldn't you at least want the valve? Also, there are not prices for every model (I realize you're probably working on it).

The $40 lid that's round is CNC'd to fit the size. Nutn but eye candy. I use the simple square one, but have had a few people ask about having one that fits the circle.

This unit is a short core. The bottom part is basically a false bottom. The core is 100% insulated covered.

The reason we have the base available, is I figured a lot of homebrewers might already have the parts from old igloo coolers or buckets. I think I may have misjudged that cuz most have wanted a full unit ready to rock as soon as they get it.

I got mine this past Friday and was able to mash with it on Saturday. Here are a couple of my observations.

1. Get a lid. Trust me, you don't have anything around your house that will fit. I thought maybe the lid from my 15G boil kettle would fit and it did not. I ended up getting a piece of HDPE cut at a local plastic place.
2. The cooler kit from Bargain Fittings is perfect for this thing. Seals without a problem. It took me maybe 2 minutes to get the ball valve hooked up. The best thing about this is that the hole is already drilled in for the drain. The bonus is that they have flowed plastic in to seal it. There is no exposed insulation in the hole, so even if you don't get a seal right away, you aren't soaking the inside of your new MLT.
3. This thing holds heat very well. I mashed outside at with the temperature at about 30F. I lost 2 degrees over 1 hour. I didn't protect the mash tun all that well either, so you could easily get the loss down to a degree or less with a little forethought.
4. False bottoms. The one I had for my cooler was 12" diameter. I figured it would work on this one too. Unfortunately, it was too big to fit in the bottom recess, and too small to reliably fit on the ledge. I was worried that if I used it, it could get tipped during stirring and dump a bunch of grain underneath. I ended up using the bazooka screen off of my boil kettle. I am considering buying the Blichman false bottom for this. According to Blichman's site, their 10 gallon kettle has a 13.8" inner diameter. The false bottom made for that kettle will fit on the lip no problem. And I'm fascinated by the design.

I have been a proponent of these things blind, and I am very happy that I was. I ended up buying two of them and am going to make one into an eHLT as soon as possible. The only thing I wish it had was the option to have them drill a seccond hole. I don't have any problem doing it myself, but I love that they seal it with plastic when they are done.

Cheers.

Thanks uwjester - I'm gonna ask the engineers about the 2nd hole. If we don't have to butcher the mold, I bet we can get it done.

I don't get it. How is this better than the common cooler conversion? I suggest listing some selling/comparison points on your site about how this is better than a cooler option.

The Mash Hawk allows you to do 10-13 gallon batches while the igloo/gatorade are limited to your 5-6 gallon batches. Good call though. I'll highlight it more on the site. We yapped about it at lengths in the first few threads.

Its a Merchandisers I've been using for a long time now and just wanted to give all the homebrewers the same solution when they make the jump to bigger batches but still want the cooler option for the MT.

The Mash Hawk allows you to do 10-13 gallon batches while the igloo/gatorade are limited to your 5-6 gallon batches. Good call though. I'll highlight it more on the site. We yapped about it at lengths in the first few threads.

Its a Merchandisers I've been using for a long time now and just wanted to give all the homebrewers the same solution when they make the jump to bigger batches but still want the cooler option for the MT.

I have an igloo cooler and do 10G batch just fine. Igloo's come in different sizes. I think he was asking, Why is your $49 base cooler better than say a 52Qt Igloo Cube for $20? Not saying it isn't, just that that is what I think he was asking.

Thats pretty good to get a 10g batch into that size of cooler. I might be doin a little higher gravity.

I've never seen the 52 quart. and for $20, thats quite a deal. I've seen the 45 quart for $42. Let me know where ya get those and I may have to pick some up.

And as I've stated before, I'm just trying to help some people out. Some people want the round shape and the option to get a higher gravity brew in a 12 gallon boil. Hard to get that in the Igloo.

Thanks all for the input!

Igloo Ice Cube 50qt is what I think IP is talking about. It's not hard to find them for $20 or less at many places. I saw that someone said they recently picked one up for like $14 or something on sale, it being the off season and all.

What are the odds of getting them built so the interior bottom is closer to the actual bottom so that the interior volume is more like 25 gallons? That would make this tun outclass most bev coolers out there. You can get 120qt rectangular coolers for $60 but nothing cylindrical like this, which is ideal for fly sparging.

I've been yappin with the engineers about re-tooling one of our molds. Adding more capacity and adding another molded in drain. I'll defin keep ya informed on the progress!

Yeah, I am not downing anybody's idea, but I cant see how this is any better than an igloo Ice Cube. I just got a 60 qt Ice Cube from Walmart for $22, and it has a lid and I have attached a sparge arm to that.

If this is your thing, then I say go for it....

Because the Ice Cube's are absolutely horrible insulators??

That's odd. I lose MAYBE 1-2 degrees over my 60 minute mash in my igloo. This is in the winter. I guess we have different opinions of "horrible insulators".

Agreed with Moose, I'm sure it looks like I'm completely against your product, but I'm not, I'm just trying to see why it's better than a much cheaper option r3eadily available at your local hardware store.

I'm going to ask that we refrain from bashing any Igloo/Gatorade/Coleman, etc. coolers. This is not why I started this thing. I've never claimed our unit works better or different. I've used an Igloo when I was doing 5 gallon batches and it worked great. If ya don't want our Ice Hawk and can find a solution cheaper, GREAT! As I stated from the start, I just wanted to help others out that wanted a larger, round cooler like myself.

Thanks for understanding and lets keep the vibe positive and helpful.

Brew On!

Yes, people need to back off. Jesus, no one has even tried this product yet, and it's being bashed. If you don't like it, go post in the debate forum.

I have one coming today, and will give it a thorough review next week. I for one am tired of my cooler. It was great at the start, now for some reason it's losing 3f to 4f in an hour, which is unacceptable to me. I also want something with a smaller footprint than a square cooler, but with more capacity than an igloo round.

I'm going to ask that we refrain from bashing any Igloo/Gatorade/Coleman, etc. coolers.

Yeah, sorry about that. After I made that comment, I tried to edit it as I thought it was a bit too negative, but my computer wasn't working well with this site (it never does).

We all have equipment that we think works best!

Back