Mash efficiency and ph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven85

Reaction score
Can pH effect mash efficiency? I've been getting horrible efficiency for the last 5 brews or so (under 60%), and I've tried different sparging techniques (fly and batch) and well as a 90 minute mash. My temp remains fairly constant at 152F for the duration of the mash. I'm running out of ideas, so now I'm examining my water profile. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

what is your water profile?
ph test strips are cheap and better than guessing
when in doubt,, add 1 teaspoon gypsum per 5 gallons water

I'm actually mashing right now, pH strips are saying the mash water is 5.8-6.0. Beersmith is saying it should be closer to 5.0. Would this cause any efficiency issues?

I have some gypsum, would a tsp help bring it down to the right pH? And would a mash at 5.8 affect efficiency?

Maybe later you could post your grain bill, and your preboil gravity reading, and preboil volume. If you don't have a false bottom, I wouldn't attempt a fly sparge. Enjoy your brew day!

Are you mashing out? I'm new to all grain but I was told to mash out raising the grain bed to 170 when batch sparging to help dissolve the sugars.

Clem

American Wheat

6.5 lb White Wheat
4.5 lb American 2-row

Mash for 90 minutes at 152F
Mash out at 170, rest for 10 minutes
Batch sparge with 170F water, rest 10 minutes between each sparge

Beersmith 2.0 estimated OG 1.063 at 75% efficiency

I took pH readings the entire time. Beginning of mash was 5.8-6.0, at 80 minutes pH was 5.4. The beginning of sparge pH was 6.1 and an OG of 1.083, end of batch sparge pH was about 6, with an OG 1.022.

My final amount was 6.1 gallons at 1.044 with a 63.8% efficiency. Best efficiency so far. Does anyone see any potential problems with my process? I'm shooting for 70% efficiency, but I always seem to be in the 50-60 range. Any help would be great, thanks!

I've been doing AG for about six months now and haven't heard of anything ph- or water-related that would have that deleterious an effect on your efficiency.

How many steps in your sparge process? What's your mash tun situation? Are you using a braid or a manifold?

slothorentropy said:
I've been doing AG for about six months now and haven't heard of anything ph- or water-related that would have that deleterious an effect on your efficiency.

How many steps in your sparge process? What's your mash tun situation? Are you using a braid or a manifold?

I challenge that statement somewhat. If your ph was far off, which in his case it was not, then PH could possibly affect efficiency. Different levels of PH will favor the enzymes to activate along with temperature to breakdown the long chains of starch into sugars. Now this is not the posters problem, but in extreme cases I think it is plausible.

Can pH effect mash efficiency? I've been getting horrible efficiency for the last 5 brews or so (under 60%), and I've tried different sparging techniques (fly and batch) and well as a 90 minute mash. My temp remains fairly constant at 152F for the duration of the mash. I'm running out of ideas, so now I'm examining my water profile. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You said your last 5 brews. Does that mean that beforehand you got much better efficiency? Or that you've done 5 AG batches and they've all had about 60% efficiency.

If you've done more than 5 batches, you must have changed something. If you took good notes or have a good record in BeerSmith see if you can pinpoint the change.

If you've only done 5 AG batches, what is the dead space in your Mash/Lauter Tun? You can potentially leave a LOT of sugars behind with deadspace. [EDIT] I also second looking into getting a finer crush.

Hope you can figure out your issue! :mug:

I challenge that statement somewhat. If your ph was far off, which in his case it was not, then PH could possibly affect efficiency. Different levels of PH will favor the enzymes to activate along with temperature to breakdown the long chains of starch into sugars. Now this is not the posters problem, but in extreme cases I think it is plausible.

Word; I only said that I'd never heard of it. Can ph problems really drag you down like twenty points if they're bad enough?

slothorentropy said:
Word; I only said that I'd never heard of it. Can ph problems really drag you down like twenty points if they're bad enough?

To be honest, I can't say for sure, but knowing what PH does to a mash, it could be possible. By the way, wasn't trying to step on your comment. Just adding my thoughts.

To be honest, I can't say for sure, but knowing what PH does to a mash, it could be possible. By the way, wasn't trying to step on your comment. Just adding my thoughts.

I agree 100%. If your pH is far out of spec (5.8-6.0 is far out of spec), the enzymes will not be active and you won't get full conversion. This will definitely effect efficiency. Remember pH is a log scale, so a pH of 5.0 is 10 times more acidic than a pH of 6.0. That is a big difference.

I agree 100%. If your pH is far out of spec (5.8-6.0 is far out of spec), the enzymes will not be active and you won't get full conversion. This will definitely effect efficiency. Remember pH is a log scale, so a pH of 5.0 is 10 times more acidic than a pH of 6.0. That is a big difference.

Hit the nail on the head, Higher the pH the worse the efficiency.

Make sure you have a good bed established before using your wheat. It has a tendency to get very sticky. Anytime you have a recipe with more than 50% wheat in your grain bill you might want to consider a protein break with just the wheat before the rest of the grain as well.

I'd recommend reading through http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting_Brewhouse_Efficiency and http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.ph...ity_and_efficiency_in_single_infusion_mashing. Yes, it's a lot, but it really helped me and explains things rather well.

I suggest determining if you have a conversion efficiency or lautering efficiency problem first. If you used a mash water ratio of 1.25 qt/lb, you had about 87% conversion which doesn't sound too bad. I found moving from 1.25 to 1.5qt/lb helped my conversion a lot.

To answer your original question, yes, PH does effect conversion efficiency. See if you actually have a conversion problem though.

I'm sure someone will chime in with it...but at some point I got a spreadsheet (or was it a website) that had you record readings at several different points...like each run off...and once done could tell you pretty well where your effciency is dieing.

Can't for the life of me find it though.

The biggest problem with mashing near a pH of 6 is the sparge will be higher (without some kind of adjustment.) I doubt it would have much effect on efficiency but will not make the best beer. The problem is poor conversion and probably form poor crush.

I know this is an older thread, but I ran across this while searching, and wanted to add an additional comment. Wheat malt is smaller than barley malt, so if they are crushed using the same mill setting, you will not get a good crush on the wheat malt. Since over half of the OP's grist was wheat, this would explain the low efficiency, even in the absence of any pH effects.

I've had the same problem on the only two beers I've brewed with a high percentage of wheat (an American Wheat and a Wheat Wine). On these beers I only hit 55-60% efficiency. With all my all- or mostly-barley grists, I hit 72-74%.

Back