Marzen yeast choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschoeffler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m planning 2023’s version and I am closing in on a version that appeals to me. It’s basically 70/30 barke pils and barke munich mashed at 146 and 158, tettnanger to 23IBUs and WL833.
I’m contemplating changing yeasts to get a bit more attenuation (last years finished at 1.016 despite big starter and O2).
What strains authentic German strains would you suggest?

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of Omega Yeast. I've tried a few of them, and have been disappointed. The one exception was Bayern Lager strain. I didn't make a Marzen with it, but I noted on the beer I made with it that it had a nice clean malt taste to it. Looks like Omega's website suggests it for a Marzen, too.

https://omegayeast.com/yeast/lagers/bayern-lager

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of Omega Yeast. I've tried a few of them, and have been disappointed. The one exception was Bayern Lager strain. I didn't make a Marzen with it, but I noted on the beer I made with it that it had a nice clean malt taste to it. Looks like Omega's website suggests it for a Marzen, too.

https://omegayeast.com/yeast/lagers/bayern-lager
That looks great but I tend to ferment a little colder, 46-50F.

Fermintis 34/70, Lallamand diamond lager or cellar science german lager have all been good dry yeast choices for me.

WLP833 is hard to beat for a great marzen. Everything else being equal, WLP830 and the likes will probably get you a point or 2 drier but will not necessarily make a better Marzen IMO. Aside from the fg number, did the perception of the beer seem sweet, thick, etc.? Not knowing og, I would look at recipe again if the beer perception needs tweaking assuming that the mash regimen on the last beer was to get you the driest beer possible.

OG was 1.062 with 60 min at 146F, 20 min at 158F, a profile that normally gets me below 1.010. The mouthfeel was heavier than expected, not sweet by any means. My personal palette tends towards drier beers. This was not one I could easy drink by the liter, as the style was intended.

Fermintis 34/70, Lallamand diamond lager or cellar science german lager have all been good dry yeast choices for me.
I just bottled an amber lager fermented with cellar science German lager. 1.044-1.009 and tastes great.

OG was 1.062 with 60 min at 146F, 20 min at 158F, a profile that normally gets me below 1.010. The mouthfeel was heavier than expected, not sweet by any means. My personal palette tends towards drier beers. This was not one I could easy drink by the liter, as the style was intended.
If it were me, the first lever I would pull to get the marzen where you want it is to drop your OG by at least 6 points. 1.062 is a quite high for the SG of a marzen. 2 points outside of the upper end of the BJCP range in fact. 1.054-1.056 OG with the right mash schedule should get you close to 1.012/1.013 which I think is a good target for a robust but well-attenuated marzen.

Back