Marris Otter vs Weyermann BOHEMIAN FLOOR PILSNER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo007

Reaction score
Hi all,
Having trouble locating malts where eI'm located.

I normally use as base malt Marris otter for my pale ales as it seems to give amazing results. I can't get this anymore and the sales chap is saying that Weyermann BOHEMIAN FLOOR PILSNER malt is the same more or less.

Anyone had any experiences with this? Am I going to see a big change if I change to this base malt?

Thanks,
Rob

I have not worked with the pilsen malt....but I can assure you they are not the same.
For starters, it's recommended to do a 90 minute boil with pilsen malts due to the DMS in it. Pilsen malt is toastier, lighter....sounds like someone was trying to make a sale.

Hi all,
Having trouble locating malts where eI'm located.

I normally use as base malt Marris otter for my pale ales as it seems to give amazing results. I can't get this anymore and the sales chap is saying that Weyermann BOHEMIAN FLOOR PILSNER malt is the same more or less.

Anyone had any experiences with this? Am I going to see a big change if I change to this base malt?

Thanks,
Rob

It is not the same. Excellent in its own right but in no way a direct replacement IMO. Any good quality UK pale malt (brands like Crisp, Munton's, Thomas Fawcett, etc) would be your best bet as a sub for MO or Weyermann's Pale Malt if that is easier to find.

BTW Maris-Otter is a type of barley, not a brand or malt in itself. Many of the UK maltsters offer a MO malt but non-MO malts products from barley such as Pearl as still very good and there are other "artisinal" types like Golden Promise if you want to try that route. :mug:

There are some major differences between the two. It fact, they are more different than alike.

The Weyermann floor malted Pilsner is produced from either Bojos or Tolar barley, descendents of the 19th century Czech variety Hana. Hana was the first malt variety used in Czech Pils.

It is not highly modified. It is malted to be as similar to the original Pils malted barley as possible. To get the most out of it, it should be used in a decoction or at least a step mash. It will convert in an infusion, but you will not get the greatest efficiency. The color is 1.9-2.3 L

There are at least 5 maltsters using the Maris Otter variety of barley today. Some are floor malted and some are not. Baird's, Crisp and Simpson's are pneumatically malted in large lots. The Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter is floor malted, by hand in small lots. So is the Thomas Fawcett and Warminster brands. All of the Maris Otter malts tend to be in the 2.3-3 L range. They are all fully modified and designed to be used in single infusion mashes. They all give a slightly nutty, toasty flavor to the beer.

The Pils malt is very clean with little to no nuttiness or toast.

Use the Weyermann for Continental or Czech Pils or similar styles. The Marris Otter is great for almost any English style and a rather broad range of American styles.

Wow, that guy is as full of crap as a Christmas goose! I would say those are polar opposites! As mentioned above, the guy was just trying to take your money!

Thanks for all your help... Yeah the sales guy seemed to have given me the wrong information :D

I'll stick the Crisp Marris Otter I think. I've just located a place that can supply it so back to brewing..

Cheers,

Rob

There are some major differences between the two. It fact, they are more different than alike.

The Weyermann floor malted Pilsner is produced from either Bojos or Tolar barley, descendents of the 19th century Czech variety Hana. Hana was the first malt variety used in Czech Pils.

It is not highly modified. It is malted to be as similar to the original Pils malted barley as possible. To get the most out of it, it should be used in a decoction or at least a step mash. It will convert in an infusion, but you will not get the greatest efficiency. The color is 1.9-2.3 L

There are at least 5 maltsters using the Maris Otter variety of barley today. Some are floor malted and some are not. Baird's, Crisp and Simpson's are pneumatically malted in large lots. The Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter is floor malted, by hand in small lots. So is the Thomas Fawcett and Warminster brands. All of the Maris Otter malts tend to be in the 2.3-3 L range. They are all fully modified and designed to be used in single infusion mashes. They all give a slightly nutty, toasty flavor to the beer.

The Pils malt is very clean with little to no nuttiness or toast.

Use the Weyermann for Continental or Czech Pils or similar styles. The Marris Otter is great for almost any English style and a rather broad range of American styles.

That's some impressive malt knowledge :mug:

Back