Marris Otter SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushingblackdoom

Reaction score
10# MO
2oz EKG
What's up, y'all? Any suggestions?
I was thinking 1oz@60,1/2oz@20, 1/2oz@5...
Tis my 1st SMaSH brew, for my wedding, thinking of a good session brew that may appeal to the few BMC drinkers that will be there. Any suggestions and opinions are all greatly appreciated!

Try doing a FWH (first wort hop) add hops while doing your run off into the boil kettle, and skip the 60 min addition. Im a huge fan, rarely ever do 60 min additions anymore. I think it leaves a more balanced bitterness, not so upfront than a 60min.

Try doing a FWH (first wort hop) add hops while doing your run off into the boil kettle, and skip the 60 min addition. Im a huge fan, rarely ever do 60 min additions anymore. I think it leaves a more balanced bitterness, not so upfront than a 60min.

I have been doing that as well, I think it has improved session ales.

Really enjoying a pint of my own MO SMaSH (latest batch) right now. I ended up with 9 gallons into kegs (first batch recipe is in my list). The batch on tap now is only 5.7% where the first was 6.7%. I wanted the second to be more summer enjoyment ready, so a lower ABV.

Second batch recipe

Thanx guys! Supercool! I think I'll do the FWH instead of the 60 min addition. And imma stick to my grainbill & hops, 10# MO/2oz EKG, unless maybe i need more hops to balance the MO?

I am on the last few pints (kegged) of a 5 gal recipe: (not a SMaSH, but even w/o the 60L this would be a nice beer)
10lbs MO
1lb crystal 60
3.5 oz EKG (1.25 @60, 1.25 @20, 1 @5)
US 05
60min mash, 90 min boil

Fantastic beer. Going to brew it again very soon.

I just did a SMaSH MO/EKG. Then again, I just did a SMaSH Rarh Pale 2-Row/EKG, a Vienna/EKG and a Munich/EKG as well. Basemalt experiment! So much work even with one gallon batches....

So I just did my first BIAB!

10# MO
1 oz ekg @ 60
.5 oz @ 15
.5 oz @ 5

OG: 1055
Currently at 1022, it's been 5 days. Been reading the same for a couple days.

I underestimated absorption / boil off rate and ended with 19L including the yeast cake, and mashed in pretty hot.

Can't wait to see how my first all grain turns out :) Thanks for the recipe crushing (Also gold, I think I read another thread with you two talking about the hop timing)

Back