Hop schedule opinions? EKG pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashdar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3x 1.05oz packs of EKG pellets, and lots of MO. I was thinking about doing a smash, or possibly adding a touch of special B (2oz?). Probably 8-10 lbs MO @ 155 and S-04.

Any opinions regarding hop schedule? 60 20 flameout? Or maybe FWH 60 flameout?

I mostly do dark malty beers, so I'm a bit lost. I suspect ideally I'd use 4-5 oz, but I'd rather save the drive to LHBS.

edit: totally thought I was in recipes. Apologies.

Last edited:
++ on no “special”. If you’re looking for something “extra” from your MO, try a 120-minute-or-more boil to develop color and flavor.

For hops, I’d go nuts with 60 and 10 minute additions, plus a hopstand.

Thanks! I brewed last night and tried the 60 15 hopstand w (although I may have continued to drop during stand). 10 lbs MO - probably going to be a bit sweet, but that'll suit me fine.

Coming back to homebrewing after years off, the hop techniques sure have changed!

I like a touch of B in my dark beers, but you're right that all by itself would be a bit odd. This is Crisps 3L, not the super light one - I just let it be itself.

Bottled yesterday. On the sweet side, as expected. 1.052 to 1.015. (Maybe I should have mashed lower.) Flavor contribution from carbonation is going to be significant for this one.

I will definitely stock more hops in the future for a more normal profile.

Latest posts

Back