Marris Otter SMaSH and Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelale

Reaction score
Anybody ever have any clarity issues with MO? When I use regular 2-row, my beers typically drop crystal clear after a few weeks in the keg. This MO/Fuggles SMaSH is still just a tad hazy at temperature. Chill haze, just the nature of the malt, or my process?

I am a fan of MO and use it a lot. I whirlpool chill very quickly to 65 degrees and get a nice break in the kettle with Whirlfloc, cold crash post fermentation, use gelatin finings and let it keg condition for 2 weeks at 32 degrees. After all this, I still cannot completely eliminate the chill haze - a slight haze persists. But when I use 2 row malt, I am able to get my beers completely clear using the same methods. So, my experience is the same as yours.

I've had some cloudy beers with MO and some hazy ones... but usually they are hazy because I forget the whirlfoc. My irish red and nut brown are currently quite clear, both made with MO. Try some gelatin.

my MO/fuggles SMaSH has been sitting in the keg for two weeks and after cold crashing and gelatin before putting it into the kegerator it is almost crystal clear... give it a few more weeks and it should be!!!

Definitely not going to give up on this. I did use whirlfloc, but I'll have to check my log on gelatin. I usually add that at kegging, just can't remember. Thanks for the replies.

Back