marked improvement in my beer quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
All I changed was to buy my hops from a local microbrewery - I was using hops 15 months old. The aroma as I bottled the beer was superb and an early tasting indicates I have brewed a winner.

Bob, I buy mine from Hopsdirect right after the harvest. They smell really fresh, and you can really feel it in the beer. It's wicked cheap too, buying a lb at a time. Just get a vacuum sealer and buy a year's supply at one time.

Bob, I buy mine from Hopsdirect right after the harvest. They smell really fresh, and you can really feel it in the beer. It's wicked cheap too, buying a lb at a time. Just get a vacuum sealer and buy a year's supply at one time.

Do you notice a falloff on the last brew of the "year"? Do you keep the hops in the freezer? I just bought a couple lbs of hops and a foodsaver and I threw a bunch in the freezer. I agree that the hops are much better fresh, from my last IPA!

Vaccuumed and frozen, I don't find any deterioration. I also find whole hops to just be better than pellets. It could be all in my head, but pellets just don't feel right to me.

i'm still finishing up last year's crop of magnum pellets myself, also vacummed and frozen and they still taste great. granted, i use them exclusively for bittering so it would be pretty tough to tell if they've gone south or not.

aroma seems to fade in mine which are vacuumed sealed and stored at -10 F

I used some vacuum packed and frozen 2008 hops in a brew recently and they still smell awesome. However, I *do* increase the quantities my additions for older hops.

Yeah, I have some hops that are 1yr old and I just increase the amount by 25%... it tastes about right though I obviously haven't measured

Back