Maris Otter SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawleyFarms

Reaction score
Going to have 4# Maris Otter left after my English Braggot recipe is brewed. Decided I'd like to do a 1 gallon or 3 gallon SMaSH.

I have these hops:

4oz Centennial (12%)
1.5oz Whitbread Goldings (4.3%)
1oz Sterling (6%)
.75oz Liberty (4.3%)

I'm not looking for a crazy bitter IPA, but I would like a nice hop forward nose. With all 4# of Maris Otter, in a 3 gallon I'll be looking at about 4.31%. With 1.5# in 1gal 4.85%, 2# 6.46%.

I'll even do two 1 gallon SMaSH recipes to compare hops.

Any suggestions?

I would do two 1 gallon batches. A DIPA with 2.5# MO and all four ounces of the centennial. And then an English pale with the rest of the grain and the goldings.

MO/Whitbread

1.5#MO (4.85% abv)

.25oz @60
.1oz @20
.25 @5
.25 @FO
.25 Dry Hop

MO/Centennial

1.5#MO (4.85%abv)

.1oz @45
.1oz @20
.25oz @FO
.25oz Dry Hop

Both will end up around 35 IBU's.

I would do two 1 gallon batches. A DIPA with 2.5# MO and all four ounces of the centennial. And then an English pale with the rest of the grain and the goldings.

Not a huge fan of DIPA's. 4oz is a crazy amount of Centennial. What would your hop schedule look like for this? Looking at 8%abv.

Do two 1 gal batches. One with the centennial the other with the goldings. You'll have an American and British SMaSH to contrast.

I like it. Got one for each that will bring me to around 35 IBU's each. Should be nice.

Not a huge fan of DIPA's. 4oz is a crazy amount of Centennial. What would your hop schedule look like for this? Looking at 8%abv.

I haven't run any numbers but it would probably be 1.5-2.5 put in at 180 for a whirlpool and then 1.5-2.5 for the dry hop. No bittering additions, I don't use them in my IPAs. I use flame out and whirlpool additions only in the kettle.

I haven't run any numbers but it would probably be 1.5-2.5 put in at 180 for a whirlpool and then 1.5-2.5 for the dry hop. No bittering additions, I don't use them in my IPAs. I use flame out and whirlpool additions only in the kettle.

Interesting. I still have 2# of pale malt and 1/2# of Munich malt. I might give something like this a shot.

What kind of utilization are you getting starting your whirlpool at 180 and for how long are you using the whirlpool?

Back