March pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamrd

Reaction score
I'm designing a HERMS system and I'm wondering does anyone have a problem
With the recirculating pump running dry (like stuck sparge) ? I'm planning to put
The temp probe near the recirc. Valve and control the mash temp by turning the heat
Source on and off as needed with continuous recirculation.

you would only have problems if you were trying to (incorrectly) cycle the pump on and off to control temperature as some people do.

the march pump is magnetically driven, so even if your grain bed compacts or the output slows to a trickle for some reason, nothing else really happens (as long as there are no air leaks in your system). continuous circulation is the way to go.

I set my HLT with the HERMS to 175 and open my ball valve on the output of the pump about half way to start, after the grain bed gets set I open it slowly a little more so I don't get a stuck sparge.

My probe is at the bottom near the output so when it hits the target temp I know the entire mash is at that temp.

Back