March pump mad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
I decided to have a look around for a march pump. I don't know if I want to buy one immediately, but I wanted to see about availability. So the first place I decide to check out is eBay. Keep in mind that this is the Canadian version that uses the .ca domain name.

So I see a couple of pumps that advertise free s/h in their titles. I'm all excited because pumps are heavy and as a result they are expensive to ship. The price seemed good too. When I got into the body of the listing, they wanted a whole bunch of money for s/h. ??? Apparently the free s/h is to the US only. Despite our close ties, the US is a foreign country to anyone using eBay.ca so advertising free s/h to the US or to Zimbabwe or anywhere else is pretty useless. Is this the new eBay scam? List everything for $1.99 and free s/h but to East Timor only? :mad: Pricks.

So I go to the March website and follow the distributor links. They even have distributor link for homebrew shops that carry the pumps! Not one single one in all of Canada. There are exactly four distributors of their products and none of them are anywhere near me.

Anyway, does anyone know another source of these things that doesn't require a significant investment in transport infrastructure to get it to me? I may have to bite the bullet and order one from Forrest at Austin Homebrew Supply during one of their sales, but it will double the price just to have it shipped.

Well since you mention AHB, I recall seeing something recently that they are having a sale on March Pumps in fact. Not sure how much shipping is, though I thought in the past they would ship stuff via USPS making it cheaper to get it to you up north.

I suspect AHB is the cheapest you can find one from an authorized seller

Edit: Here is the post where AHB announced their sale https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/austin-homebrew-supply-march-pump-sale-80801/

I had morebeer.com ship mine to Canada recently; the Vancouver distributor didn't have them in stock and charged more. Prompt, good people on the phone who know the score, with fast email response.
The key is that they ship using USPS - not UPS, which will incur vast customs charges that would obliterate any savings you might find on the interweb. (definitely get a pump!!)

I've ordered lots of stuff from Austin Homebrew Supply and have been very happy with their products and service, but that $6.99 shipping isn't available to me. It costs much more to ship to Canada so I have to pay actual costs. Everything else I've ordered has been fairly light so the shipping wasn't too bad, but those pumps are heavy. I'd pay through the nose for one. Some things just aren't worth shipping across the border.

I had morebeer.com ship mine to Canada recently; the Vancouver distributor didn't have them in stock and charged more. Prompt, good people on the phone who know the score, with fast email response.
The key is that they ship using USPS - not UPS, which will incur vast customs charges that would obliterate any savings you might find on the interweb. (definitely get a pump!!)

How much did they charge you to ship?

I've ordered lots of stuff from Austin Homebrew Supply and have been very happy with their products and service, but that $6.99 shipping isn't available to me. It costs much more to ship to Canada so I have to pay actual costs. Everything else I've ordered has been fairly light so the shipping wasn't too bad, but those pumps are heavy. I'd pay through the nose for one. Some things just aren't worth shipping across the border.

The pump is 6 pounds. You can request USPS in the comments section and we will adjust the price. If you find a better price let me know before you order. I don't think you can find a better price for this model.

Forrest

fingers if you have it shipped to canada only use usps. They are the best for brokerage fees. If you can convince them to label it as a gift you shouldn't have to pay any taxes.

I once bought a camera lens for $50 it was shipped by hdl (or something like that) they brokerage fee was $80 plus all my taxes. It turned a good deal into drastically overpaying.

Now I ship everything to family in Tonawanda NY and pick it up it costs a few dollars in gas but its a good excuse to visit.

I feel your pain in getting stuff across the boarder and wish you luck

The March Pumps are on sale right now for the lowest price they will ever be from anyone.

Here is a link: Austin Homebrew Supply

Just slip it into your shopping cart and pull the trigger.

Forrest

Pulled the trigger on one last night. By far the cheapest price I was able to find, but I don't have to worry about shipping over the border. I can darn near see it but am on the cheap (shipping) side.

Now if it will just get here in time to use this weekend...

fingers if you have it shipped to canada only use usps. They are the best for brokerage fees.

I know that. In fact, I was the one who requested that Forrest offer that option to us Canucks. Because of that I try to give him as much of my cross border brew shopping as possible. In this particular case I was trying to find a good deal on eBay because the bulk of my brewing expense is going towards filling my containers for winter. In another two months it will be hell to brew so I want to have as much in the kegs/clearing tanks as possible. Forrest is offering a good price but it's still more than I can afford for a system I haven't built yet. Heck, I haven't even installed the Ventmatics I bought from him!

Ahoy hoy,
well, unless Im really mistaken, the March pump they sell at Williams is the same as the one at Austin, and, is 3 bucks cheaper. I just bought one and got it yesterday. Appears to be the same model as Austins.
TRANSFER PUMP @ Williams Brewing
Anyways, FYI
I bid you all a great day

I hear the fall colors are beautiful in North Dakota and Minnesota this time of year. Maybe it's time you check-in on that old P.O. Box you have there.;)

Ahoy hoy,
well, unless Im really mistaken, the March pump they sell at Williams is the same as the one at Austin, and, is 3 bucks cheaper. I just bought one and got it yesterday. Appears to be the same model as Austins.
TRANSFER PUMP @ Williams Brewing
Anyways, FYI
I bid you all a great day

Not when you take into account it's $14 to have it shipped.

Ahoy hoy,
Oh, I did take that into account. Austin doesnt give us slackers in the North the nifty 6.99 shipping. They want about 40 bucks for ups or fedex to send that pump up here, and sorry, they dont do priority mail. But, Williams does, and 14 bucks would be a good shipping rate to me up here. But since I had ordered about 800 bucks of stuff from them, and got it all for about 45 bucks shipping, I figured, I did ok.
For you guys down there in the land we call the lower 48, think about your ol pard up in Alaska when you start to let shipping get you down. You haven't been postage raped until you try to get anything shipped up here.
Anyhow, that is the reason I see it as a better deal. I can see why you folks would go for the all you can eat for 6.99 deal.
I bid you all a great day!

Just bought a march 809 hs for $120 with delivery from Ebay. Keep a close look, and you can find a deal. Try craigslist too.:mug:

Latest posts

Back