March 809HS tubing size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianNorth

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have an electric brewery setup. Recently, I upgraded to a basic RIMS setup, using coolers. My wort is transferred through Pex plumbing pipe.

The pump I used was a cheap ebay pump, and it served the purpose. Alas, recently it passed away. The excitement of brewing must have been too much for it.

I purchased the recommended March 809. However, I am wondering about the tubing size. I have heard you should have an inner diameter of 1/2" for inlet and outlet on the March. While my pex is 1/2" it is certainly not 1/2" on the I.D., and the connectors are even smaller.

Should this be a concern? ((and yes, I have a ball valve on the out connection of the pump))

Thanks!!

being a magnetically driven pump, you can restrict flow anywhere from 0% to 100% with no danger to the pump. so no- using smaller diameter piping will not damage the pump. it will just reduce max flow rate.

Back