Maple syrup and wines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been looking at information about Maple wines.

Wines that would benefit from the use of maple Syrup vs granulated sugar. Rhubarb, Sweet Potato and Strawberry.

Spices you can add to flavour Maple Syrup Wine: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger, Thyme and Cardamon

Nuts/fruit you can use to ad flavour to Maple Syrup Wine: Dates, Raisins, Pecans, Almonds and Walnuts.

To be honest I have made a sweet wine from maple syrup diluted down to reasonable sugar levels (to get the alc and RS i wanted). I can't recall what dilution ratio i used but i then added a bit of acid for balance and went from there. but sometimes it is fun to play with things and see what you can get from it.

PS.. Make notes.. the difference between science and screwing around is recording data.

I've brewed a couple beers with maple syrup in them. For calculation purposes, I treat it the same as amber candi syrup, though maple of course has a lot of variation in gravity.

I made sure that all the Maple syrup was at the ball point of 36 at 60C.
I've got a notebook on the go and I'm planning on using some maple syrup to make some beer.

I have ferment/etc logs that I would hang on my ferments all put into a binder.. always keep records so you know what you did in the past ferments.

This is interesting. Looks like all three maple wines will be different colors. I wonder what the differences in taste will be.

Interesting. Was the gravity of each the same when you pitched the yeast? And I see that you posted another point ein a different thread. This is sap and not syrup? So how much sugar is in this? You MIGHT want to taste this before 12 months have passed. In my opinion, wine making is not really very different from cooking. You want to constantly taste what you are making to make sure that what you are making is what you thought you were making and not something very different. Tasting is not the same as drinking for pleasure.

Interesting. Was the gravity of each the same when you pitched the yeast? And I see that you posted another point ein a different thread. This is sap and not syrup? So how much sugar is in this? You MIGHT want to taste this before 12 months have passed. In my opinion, wine making is not really very different from cooking. You want to constantly taste what you are making to make sure that what you are making is what you thought you were making and not something very different. Tasting is not the same as drinking for pleasure.

The ball point for all three, at 60F, was 36; which converts to a specific gravity of around 1.158 ; No, I made syrup from the sap. Sap looks like water

Last edited:
Back