Maple "off" flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junebug

Reaction score
Hi folks...
I've had my amber ale in bottles almost a week now, and I decided to sample a wee bit of it. It is getting some carbonation and looks lovely. The flavor isn't bad, but there is a definite hint of maple. I don't really know what an amber ale is supposed to taste like, so I don't know if this is what is considered an "off" flavor, or if everything is as it should be. I'm certain that a few more weeks of conditioning can only help matters. It was an extract kit and I used 1 oz. of fuggles hops at the beginning and finished with kent goldings hops (1/2 oz. at ten minutes before flame off and 1/2 at 2 min. before flame off). The temperature in my basement for the first week was steady at 61 degrees. After the first week, the temps have remained pretty steady between 64 and 68 degrees, no really crazy fluctuations. Don't get me wrong...I'll be drinking this brew, it's not the worst I've ever had. Any information about this maple-y hint would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Annette

I had a friend tell me that about one of my beers. I don't think it has anything to do with fermentation, more likely it has to do with ingredients or boiling. I think LME can give maple-y flavors due to carmelized sugars. Also it seems to have something to do with specialty grains due to the roasting process and carmelization there. I know I don't have any of that flavor in my wheats made strictly from DME with no carmel malts.

Doing bigger boils will help with carmelization of the malt extract as will switching to DME.

However, an amber ale should be closer to the malty/sweet side, so bumping up the hop rate can help balance a beer out for your future brews. I seem to always under-hop and get maltier beers than I'm shooting for. 1 oz of Fuggles seems low on the hopping, as Fuggles have about 5.0% AA (?).

Levers101 said:
I had a friend tell me that about one of my beers. I don't think it has anything to do with fermentation, more likely it has to do with ingredients or boiling. I think LME can give maple-y flavors due to carmelized sugars. Also it seems to have something to do with specialty grains due to the roasting process and carmelization there. I know I don't have any of that flavor in my wheats made strictly from DME with no carmel malts.

Doing bigger boils will help with carmelization of the malt extract as will switching to DME.

However, an amber ale should be closer to the malty/sweet side, so bumping up the hop rate can help balance a beer out for your future brews. I seem to always under-hop and get maltier beers than I'm shooting for. 1 oz of Fuggles seems low on the hopping, as Fuggles have about 5.0% AA (?).

Thanks for your reply, Levers101. I scoured the guide for "off" flavors and their causes and this maple hint just doesn't appear at all, so I think your explanation is spot on. I'm going to stash some extra hops in my freezer for the next time I make an amber ale. It's actually not bad for a first attempt, my gf really liked it. I think a couple more weeks of conditioning (at least) will work wonders for it.

It could be something in your recipe, so it is hard to say without knowing for sure.

However, I tend to agree with Levers101 on this one. All of my extract batches with a concentrated boil definately have a bit of that taste. Maple-y is a good description, I've always described it as carmely or raisiny.

From your description, it seems like you had good fermentation temps so off flavors from that would be less likely.

I've found that the taste you describe mellows some but never quite goes away. Again Levers101 hits it on the head. Once I moved to full boils, that characteristic seemed to disappear.

weetodd said:
It could be something in your recipe, so it is hard to say without knowing for sure.

However, I tend to agree with Levers101 on this one. All of my extract batches with a concentrated boil definately have a bit of that taste. Maple-y is a good description, I've always described it as carmely or raisiny.

From your description, it seems like you had good fermentation temps so off flavors from that would be less likely.

I've found that the taste you describe mellows some but never quite goes away. Again Levers101 hits it on the head. Once I moved to full boils, that characteristic seemed to disappear.

Good to know, weetodd...guess I'll be moving right along to full boils very soon...:)

I concur - carmelization is the likely culprit. A full boil will help as well as a late extract addition. Be sure to adjust your hop rate when adding the extract late in the boil.

Back