Maple Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
I noticed one of my kegs was getting low so decided to have a brew day. Don't have time later in the week so couldn't wait for grains to ship. This meant I had to make something with what I had onhand.
I've been meaning to make a stout, and while my wife and I were on a mini vacation last week I had a Maple Oatmeal stout at a small brewery and really liked it.

So I set out to make something similar. I have no idea what the mash bill was but looked online and tried to make something similar to existing recipes with what I had onhand.

Mash bill:
4000g 2 row
600g rolled oats
570g dark chocolate malt
500g crystal 60L
250g red ale malt
230g carafoam
575g light maple syrup (Late addition)

1oz chinook (60 min)
1 oz cascade (20 min)

Lalbrew Nottingham Ale yeast

I had 30L of "spring water" in jugs from a local grocery store onhand, and some RO water.
Heated up 17.4L of spring water to 165, pumped into my mash tun and stirred.
Setup my recirculation system (false bottom, pumps through a copper coil that is immersed in hot water, with a sous vide machine keeping water at target temp).
Recirc at 155F for 60 minutes, then added in 15L more water at 165F and recirc at 165F for 10 minutes. Then pumped into kettle.
60 Minute boil.
Boiled with 1oz Chinook for 60 minutes, added 1oz cascade for final 20 minutes. These were both from my own hops, dried and vacuum sealed. Found out my hop spider can only handle 1oz of leaf hops, so the cascade went into a brew bag.
Added the honey for last 10 minutes of boil.
Let it all cool on it's own, took about 7 hours to get to pitching temp. Drained from kettle into fermenting pail. OG 1.064, have almost 21L.
I plan on putting 2L of this into one of my 2L mini barrels that currently is aging some 120 proof wheater bourbon.
The rest will be kegged in a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_20201020_212500.jpg
    IMG_20201020_212500.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 14
I noticed one of my kegs was getting low so decided to have a brew day. Don't have time later in the week so couldn't wait for grains to ship. This meant I had to make something with what I had onhand.
I've been meaning to make a stout, and while my wife and I were on a mini vacation last week I had a Maple Oatmeal stout at a small brewery and really liked it.

So I set out to make something similar. I have no idea what the mash bill was but looked online and tried to make something similar to existing recipes with what I had onhand.

Mash bill:
4000g 2 row
600g rolled oats
570g dark chocolate malt
500g crystal 60L
250g red ale malt
230g carafoam

1oz chinook (60 min)
1 oz cascade (20 min)

I had 30L of "spring water" in jugs from a local grocery store onhand, and some RO water.
Setup my recirculation system (false bottom, pumps through a copper coil that is immersed in hot water, with a sous vide machine keeping water at target temp).
Recirc at 155F for 60 minutes, then added in 15L more water at 165F and recirc at 165F for 10 minutes. Then pumped into kettle.
60 Minute boil.
Boiled with 1oz Chinook for 60 minutes, added 1oz cascade for final 20 minutes. These were both from my own hops, dried and vacuum sealed. Found out my hop spider can only handle 1oz of leaf hops, so the cascade went into a brew bag.
Let it all cool on it's own, took about 7 hours to get to pitching temp. Drained from kettle into fermenting pail. OG 1.064, have almost 21L.
I plan on putting 2L of this into one of my 2L mini barrels that currently is aging some 120 proof wheater bourbon.
Let me know how this comes out. I tap maple so always have it on hand, but have had little luck brewing with it, it just all ferments up and leaves little flavor behind. I have contimplated killing off the yeast after a late addition to maintain a bit more flavor but just couldn't bring myself to it.

Will do.
PS - I'd love to tap our Maple tree but it's not the right type.

This was down to 1.020 and holding, so kegged most of it, and put 2L in the mini-barrel. I'll let that rest in the keg for a couple of weeks then keg it and compare.

i think it turned out well, will know better in a couple of days when it's carbed and cold. I definetely still got some hints of maple.

Mash bill:
4000g 2 row
600g rolled oats
570g dark chocolate malt
500g crystal 60L
250g red ale malt
230g carafoam

1oz chinook (60 min)
1 oz cascade (20 min)

60 Minute boil.

Let me know how it went. I am wondering whether in this case adding some english hops instead of Cascade might work - more earth to the woody chinook and maple syrup.

I have tried to brew with maple syrup only ones - not very successfully - but years ago in Quebec I had some maple suryp beer. Not sure what was its name, think it had a lumber jack on the label? The syrup left almost no sweetness, but added beatiful woody character.

I was really happy with how this came out, will make again.
I aged 2L of this in a ex whisky barrel, and love it. one of my best beers.

Back