Maple-Jack Recipe Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkotRamathorn

Reaction score
There is a TLDR at the bottom since I know I can be super rambly.

So my wonderful SWMBO suggested an idea to me during a long drive home after going to a family gathering. Recently I made some apple jack and stopped it around 30% abv (ish, I'm taking a guess based on volume) and she ended up loving it since its a sour apple schnaap without all the sugar (almost).

So with winter coming, she asked if I could try making a maple/rum/eisbock-jack sort of thing. In other words a maple-molasses-bock-braggot (I'm still trying to figure out a decent name to give it). I have a pretty good idea how I want to go about this, it won't be a true lagered bock so that removes a level of difficulty. Though I am hoping to elicit discussion or previous experiences making freeze distilled beer-jack (beersky perhaps?). Also any suggestions on recipe as well are welcome.

The things listed below are what I am pretty positive about (grain bill is limited by my BIAB system and this is for a 4.5 gallon recipe the sugar additions should displace it up to the 5-5.25 gallon area).

8#Pale Ale malt (I have pilsner but I figure that would be too delicate in this monster)
1# Flaked oats (given a good strong toasting in the oven)
8oz Biscuit malt (contemplating going up to 12 or 16oz)

The rest of the grist I am still trying to figure out what sort of specialty malts I want to add. I think a small addition of 4-6oz of pale chocolate would elevate the recipe with some chocolate character and the barest amount of roast, I have midnight wheat malt on hand as well so maybe a 2-4oz addition of that. I don't want to get too crazy but I feel like a crystal malt addition is needed as well with how dry this should end up fermenting (I have a tiny bit of 120L, a bunch of special B, and some UK Medium crystal as well).

Bitter to 15-20IBUs. Does this sound too high for something that will be freeze concentrated?

I'll be fermenting with 1007 German Ale yeast and probably feed an additional big starter once fermentation just barely starts to tail off, and a bit of sugar as well. Then give it a long low temp conditioning period on the yeast cake.

As for the sugars I will use 4lbs of maple syrup and 1lb of molasses added as soon as the lag period ends and the yeast start kicking off.

TLDR: Mainly looking for critique on the grain bill and bittering, any suggestions on the sugar (maybe caramelizing a portion of the maple syrup?). The long low temp conditioning period should make sure the fusel alcohols are broken down correct?

Back