Manifold slits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PodunkPorter

Reaction score
Ok so I just finished up my cpvc manifold, I used a hacksaw and made some really nice thin slits, it looks to me like it made better ones than a dremel or other tools. Anyway, so I made an octagon for my 5 gal igloo, it has 2 cross section tubes and a tee in the middle where the wort is draw from. So the posts I've see show no slits in the cross section tubes, only in the outer ones. Is there a reason for this? It seems to me like the more slits the better, but I wanted to ask before I went and cut more

image.jpg

I have a square with one across the middle. I also put slits in the middle piece. Works like a champ. It looks like you have the slits down, if so then well played. I think a manifold just might be better than a false bottom. I'm sure you will be pleased.
Happy brewing!

Looks like you did a good job with it. I would run with it like this for a batch or two and see how you like it. If you want a few more points of efficiency after that, then add more slits to the center pieces.

Thanks guys! We used a washer hose last time, and I ganked it up by stirring the mash and friggin out gettin mad from my stuck sparge. I already like this more, and it was cheaper than one washer hose haha!

Well if it makes you feel better NickTheGreat, it's not my design or idea haha. but I used 2 45 elbows to get the inlet spout down to the height of the spout of the cooler instead of heating the cpvc and bending it. I personally think that's a bad idea

Nice job!

Not sure if your dead space will be larger than it can be because of the CVPC "bridge." As soon as it loses prime during the last few inches of lautering, you won't be able to get it flowing over the hump again.

I'd use a piece of 1/2" silicone tubing to connect the center tube directly to the spigot. 1/2" cpvc pipe fits inside 1/2" silicone tubing.

nice job!

Not sure if your dead space will be larger than it can be because of the cvpc "bridge." as soon as it loses prime during the last few inches of lautering, you won't be able to get it flowing over the hump again.

I'd use a piece of 1/2" silicone tubing to connect the center tube directly to the spigot. 1/2" cpvc fits inside 1/2" silicone tubing.

+1

I just finished up a batch last night, came out to about 75ish efficiency. It worked really well though! I'm never using anything else. Oh and I did cut slits in the middle

Sounds good! Next will be getting your grain milled to just the right crush. I was able to get and maintain mid 80s for my mash efficiency with mine. I tried a bazooka tube on this last one to see how much of a difference it makes... I lost about 7% on my mash efficiency, so my CPVC manifold is much better. If you have your own mill, try double milling and if possible, pre-condition your grain. I saw an increase from 75-76% to 83-87%.

Back