Mangrove Jack's - My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenTown

Reaction score
Hi All!

I am just making my first batch of home brew - Mangrove Jack's Munich Lager. I have been trying to find info in general and on this one and can't seem to anywhere! I can't wait to try it once conditioned. I even bought myself 3 dozen glass swing tops to make cracking that first badboy a real nice experience!

Anyway.. I have a couple of questions about this beer and brewing in general.

Specific: I forgot to take OG readings and I was wondering if anyone who bought this kit knew what the ABV was once finished or the average SG before bottling? It was made from the Copper Tun starter brewery so I added 1kg of enhancer and beer finings 48hours before bottling. Then carbonation drops at the bottling stage (2 per 750 ml bottle). Also does adding finings remove the yeast, therefore mean the carbonation drops wont be digested?

General: I want to learn how to make delicious beers, ales, summer lagers, and how to effectively enhance kits. Currently I'm not in a position (time-, space- and equipment-wise) to do all my own grain and spend hours on it so kind of need to stick to kits with simple mods. Are there any simple ways to enhance kits or customise them - such as just adding dry hops to the fermentor, or will adding honey give an ale a sweeter honey-ish taste? How can I enhance a kit to make a nice thick wintery stout to warm the cockles.. Things like that.. Base don that I only have the starter kit (1 fermentor, 3 dozen bottles) so secondary fermentor conditioning might not be an option.

I have read many threads here and there seems to be a bit of animosity towards those looking to make a higher ABV brew. I know beer is much, much more than ABV. But there are a lot of reasons to make a high ABV brew, especially the challenge of making a tasty one! Also maybe a batch of devastating monster beer to keep at the back of the cupboard and crack out for stupid fun - especially when someone claims to be a 'hard' when it comes to beer. Either way, do you guys have any advice of kits that require not much more than 'kit beer effort' that I can add to to achieve something like that. Would using 2 kits in one 23 litre fermentation achieve this? Or add more dextrose, enhancer pack(s), honey, etc?

Like I say, I am very new to this, but I already feel hooked! I don't want to make enemies or annoy people with high ABV questions. It's a part of the fun and experimentation for me - i dont want shed loads of different beers all 10% abv. But from time to time, spontaneously cracking out a 7-8%+ monster from the depths of the pantry, almost as a challenge with mates, and then falling asleep face down in the garden is just stupid and fun. 99% of the time I want nice tasty beer that I am properly proud of... Plus a weighty, strong stout or ale in front of the fire in winter is unbeatable.

Anyway I am babbling, your help would be much appreciated!!

:mug:

1st brew and your already lagering?

This, while snarky, is an important question.

You should first learn the difference (if you haven't already, no offense intended) between ale beers and lager beers. Lagers require fermenting at very low temperatures (around 50F) with very large amounts of lager yeast (actually a different variety of yeast than ale yeast), followed by a short warmer ferment (the diacetyl rest) and then a very extended period of cold-conditioning called lagering, which helps to remove many of the off flavors and aromas created by cold fermentation, as well as develop the flavor.

Naturally, fermenting cold and lagering requires a fair bit more space, equipment, and investment than ale making even if you're not going grain-only. It may be something to explore after you've gotten your process down making tasty lagers, that is pitching the correct amount of healthy yeast (learning to make yeast starters), controlling the temperature of your fermenting beer (remembering that fermentation creates heat and will be much warmer than ambient- ales like to ferment in the mid-low 60s F), learning the boil, hop additions, wort cooling, and aeration steps, and how to properly package your beer in bottles or kegs.

The best thing you can possibly do is read read read these forums. You will begin to notice other noobs asking the SAME questions OVER and OVER again- learn from the replies, and read ALL the stickies.

Welcome to a great hobby with fantastic culture and community!

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, the Munich Lager was the beer that came with the starter kit I bought. It comes with the kit yeast, which I'm guessing is an ale yeast, thus this is an ale. But that's the name of the kit.

I have been reading a lot on these forums (like the difference between beers (lagers ales etc.), temperature, yeast choice) and they are very helpful, and although it's my first brew I don't feel like I am going in completely cold. I guess I feel like I have reading knowledge but no practical experience as yet.

I was just hoping maybe that someone could give a relatively quick answer that amalgamates the info.. I couldn't find any simple modifications to kit beers that doesn't require a great deal of effort. Like, I dunno, adding other ingredients to the primary fermentation. I read the ingredients to a St. Austell beer once called Cloudy Yellow, that had a couple of different herbs in too...

I am going to experiment with adding different ingredients, but as we all know (even most of the newbies) making a bad brew is a waste of at least 5-6 weeks patience. So was maybe looking for a nice little tester recipe.

It wasnt supposed to be snarky. I was actually more impressed that its your 1st brew and your going for a slightly more ambitious style of beer. I still dont have the necessay equipment to lager. Good luck

No prob mate, I should have clarified it was a kit. In NZ I think Brewcraft is branded Copper Tun and Mangrove Jack's.

For the instructions to your kit does it describe actual 'lagering' meaning you drop the temperature to usually below 50 degrees and condition for at least a few months?

You should first learn the difference (if you haven't already, no offense intended) between ale beers and lager beers. Lagers require fermenting at very low temperatures (around 50F) with very large amounts of lager yeast (actually a different variety of yeast than ale yeast), followed by a short warmer ferment (the diacetyl rest) and then a very extended period of cold-conditioning called lagering, which helps to remove many of the off flavors and aromas created by cold fermentation, as well as develop the flavor.

+1 missed your post. Look into this if you want a real lager taste... you don't want that corny taste. Unless it is a particular style of pilsner taste desired.

I am just following kit instructions - ale yeast in the kit, fermenting for 7 days below 24 degrees C, add finings and leave for 48 hours, then bottle.

Wow... really those are instructions for kit beers? Where did you pick up this kit from? That would be 75 deg Fahrenheit!!!

Even for ales you don't want to do that usually. Condition longer and you would be happier. This is your first beer so I want you to have a good one. Since you are in New Zealand and this is summer for you try to atleast get it to 72 deg F max (search for Celsius lazy), Leave in primary for atleast 2 weeks, then bottle and condition for a week to 2 weeks. A month in total from start to finish with a 5% abv beer is standard practice.

... maybe even a week longer if you really want to blow your friends away :D . Make sure everything is sanitary and the airlock has star san water mix or cheap alcohol and nothing will mess with your beer.

Yeah, thems the instructions! Mines been stable at about 68F for most of the time though. I have spent the last week or so reading like hell on this and other forums, and a book I have, and looks like this isn't the best way.. but it's started now, so no biggy.

This is a Brewcraft Kit. I posted a question on another thread too, I don't know if you would be able to help on that front... I have added gelatine finings to settle it out, but it's started throwing out the odd bubble again after a day.. should avoid bottling? Would finings effect leaving it in another week?

Cheers again for the help!

When did you add the gelatin and how much? You don't want to do it during fermentation because that drops the yeast out of suspension (makes it harder for them and longer to convert sugars to co2 and alcohol). (I'm a little drunk so maybe I missed something) I wouldn't fuss with it and leave it for atleast 10 days from when you pitched the yeast and take an SG reading with your hydrometer, everything sanitized thoroughly during this. Depending on the strain of yeast you have should finish around 1.014-1.017 any higher I would leave it.

I too am brewing Mangrove Jack's Munich lager as my first brew. Airlocks stopped showing signs of fermentation for a day or tow and I've taken an initial SG- a little high at 1016, but I guess I will be patient and take another reading after 48 hrs or so- if stable I will then fine for 48 hrs then bottle. Hopefully the FG will be lower- nearer the 1008 as specified in the Copper Tun kit instructions.

If not, I'm assuming the lager will be fairly low strength- 3.5+ but I tto would like to know what the usual OG is for these kits up to the 23 litre fill.

Does anyone know?

If it does come up a little under on the alcohol (4.5-5 would be fine for me) then I'll try a 20/21 litre fill next time with maybe abother 500g of glucose/dextrose :eek:).

I'm in progress with my brewcraft munich lager (first brew ever). Inital was 1.041. after 5 days it's sitting at 1.017, will check tomorrow what it's at. hopefully ready to bottle, I'm impatient, and I want to distill some to practise with my still.
My next brew is going to be a Wort in a bag Mexican Lager. Hopefully the cold weather continues and I don't have to worry about cooling it.

One thing is that my instructions say add the finings 'just' before bottling. Why would you wait 2 days?

Latest posts

Back