Mango pineapple sour: should i add hop tea or lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
Should add a hop tea to this? What kind?

Should I add lactose?

Thoughts?

It tastes awesome now! Perhaps i will fast carbonate 3 glasses worth with a carbonator cap and taste test.

————-
Originally i had ingredients to make a German Hefeweizen. I decided i wanted to sour it though and add fruit. So this recipe is the result of that. I followed co-pitch/post fermentation method discussed in modern fast sour technique stickied thread.

————
Fermentables:
6 lbs white wheat malt.
4 lbs 2 row.

Procedure:
1. Mashed at 152 deg for 90 mins.
2. Cool to 70 deg and pitch yeast starter.
3. Fermented for about 24 hours until 50% attenuation then added 8 oz of Goodboy probiotic juice (l.plantarum).
4. When SG was within a few points of FG, increased temp to 72.
5. Once hit FG and gravity stable for 12 hrs, added fruit.
6. pH was still 4 after Fruit fermentation, so made a probiotic starter and ramped temp to 85 deg F. When i went to add starter 1 day later, pH was 3.6.
7. On day 8 post mash, pH is still 3.6.
8. Plan to keg, carbonate, and cold condition for 5 days.

A866XOE

https://imgur.com/a/A866XOE

Ended up doing a taste test.
a: no hops, no lactose
B: +hops, no lactose
C: no hops, +lactose
D: +hops, +lactose

Converted amounts down to 8oz assuming 1lb lactose/5 gallons and 0.5 oz hops/ 5 gallons. Hop tea was made with 0.5 saaz boiled in 300 ml water for 10 mins.

——-
Wife preferred C when she was blind testing them. Then she switched to D. Then decided it was a coin flip. She said C is almost like a sour mead and D is more like a sour beer.

I can’t tell much of a difference between C and D. Both our delicious imho.

3.6 isn’t overly low of a ph and you still want it to be sour so I wouldn’t add lactose(I do add lactose). If you do choose to, I wouldn’t add more than .75lb. I hop all my sours to help head retention and to enhance flavor. I vote for b

Back