Mango juice fermentation won't start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosko

Reaction score
Hi guys
Trying to ferment Mango juice (from extract, no preservatives).
1.2L juice, total 10L after added water, extra 500gr sugar.

OG 1.057
Threw in some SafCider (5gr), sitting closed at 20c...

and after 72 hours, nothing. no bubbles in the blowoff cap, gravity is still 1.056, a bit of CO2 in the liquid itself when I taste it...

What could be the issue? How can I push it to start?

Thanks.

Mango extract fermentation is not complicated if yeast is viable and ph is correct. Can you confirm. You can also make a starter and repitch. Did you oxygenate the must?

Mango extract fermentation is not complicated if yeast is viable and ph is correct. Can you confirm. You can also make a starter and repitch. Did you oxygenate the must?
I gave it a good stir before pitching the yeast, don't know if it counts as a good oxygenation.
Pitch another 5gr? how to starter it?

also, perhaps a nutrient would do?

tnx

Nutrient would help. I usually make starter with a handful of crushed raisins in 4-500 ml water, boil it, add some Himalayan pink salt, couple of spoons of jaggery and after cooling, rehydrate yeast and shake well. Yeast takes off within half an hour, I pitch in less than 2 hours and fermentation happens very fast. Good luck.

I make a Lime-Habanero cider (crowd favorite!) that is more acidic than my usual cider. My first few batched were made with S-04 yeast and did just fine, if a stitch slower than normal. Then I switched to SafCider and I found that the SafCider was VERY VERY VERY slow. Wondered if it was because of the acidity of the lime juice. IF so, you may be experiencing the same thing as mangos can be very acidic.

Hey Kerryon, any chance you'd be willing to share your Lime-Habanero recipe?? I have a Mango Habanero that is just finishing up primary ferment right now. I'm pretty new at all this so fingers crossed that it will be decent!
Thanks,
Stretch

I make a Lime-Habanero cider (crowd favorite!) that is more acidic than my usual cider. My first few batched were made with S-04 yeast and did just fine, if a stitch slower than normal. Then I switched to SafCider and I found that the SafCider was VERY VERY VERY slow. Wondered if it was because of the acidity of the lime juice. IF so, you may be experiencing the same thing as mangos can be very acidic.
IF acidity is the issue, how do I fix that? What is a good PH anyway?

SafCider is listed to ferment starting at PH 3.3, so I find it hard to believe that this is the problem

Nutrient would help. I usually make starter with a handful of crushed raisins in 4-500 ml water, boil it, add some Himalayan pink salt, couple of spoons of jaggery and after cooling, rehydrate yeast and shake well. Yeast takes off within half an hour, I pitch in less than 2 hours and fermentation happens very fast. Good luck.
Well, nutrients alone didn't help much... Going for a fresh dose of yeast with a starter.

Hey Kerryon, any chance you'd be willing to share your Lime-Habanero recipe?? I have a Mango Habanero that is just finishing up primary ferment right now. I'm pretty new at all this so fingers crossed that it will be decent!
Thanks,
Stretch
Pretty simple recipe... just ferment a plain apple base then rack to other container(s). Add fresh harbanero and let sit till you get the spiciness you want. For me that is just a few days. I've done separate containers... one "hot" and one "mild". I "sanitize" the whole habaneros in starsan then slice off the stems and cut them in quarters and take out the seeds. I leave in the membranes though. Then I stain out the habaneros and let sit for awhile.... or not ;). When I'm ready to bottle I add 10oz frozen limeade concentrate (and a pinch of wine yeast if I used Safecider yeast in the primary b/c I found it wouldn't carbonate well otherwise). Note: I used to put limeade in the primary but had problems with fermentation when switched to safcider yeast, so switched to adding at bottling. Actually like taste better adding it at bottling.

Pretty simple recipe... just ferment a plain apple base then rack to other container(s). Add fresh harbanero and let sit till you get the spiciness you want. For me that is just a few days. I've done separate containers... one "hot" and one "mild". I "sanitize" the whole habaneros in starsan then slice off the stems and cut them in quarters and take out the seeds. I leave in the membranes though. Then I stain out the habaneros and let sit for awhile.... or not ;). When I'm ready to bottle I add 10oz frozen limeade concentrate (and a pinch of wine yeast if I used Safecider yeast in the primary b/c I found it wouldn't carbonate well otherwise). Note: I used to put limeade in the primary but had problems with fermentation when switched to safcider yeast, so switched to adding at bottling. Actually like taste better adding it at bottling.

Thank you! I will definitely give this a try!
Stretch

Back