Mango IPA, Looking for any input on this recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehuntmaster

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking to brew a super tropical fruity IPA. To add to the tropical notes, I would like to age the beer on fresh mango and guava in secondary. Any input would be much appreciated!!!

Cheers and thanks

Mark

Batch Size: 18,9 liters
Estimated OG: 1.073
Estimated FG: 1.017
Estimated Abv: 7,5%
Estimated Color: 7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 75 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

5kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter
500g Cara-Pils/Dextrine
500g Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L

38g Centennial (60min)
30g Amarillo (25min)
30g Citra (25min)
20g Amarillo (10min)
30g Citra (7.5 min)

25g Amarillo (Dry Hop 14 days)
60g Citra (Dry Hop 14 days)

Yeast: California Ale

Throw in some Nelson Sauvin hops, they blend fantastically with the grapefruitiness of
the amarillo and the mango.

I was thinking the same thing.

I was also thinking of Citra before I even opened the page, so that sounds good as well. Im surprised no cascade, though I admit I am not incredibly familiar with amarillo

Throw in some Nelson Sauvin hops, they blend fantastically with the grapefruitiness of
the amarillo and the mango.

Where would you put in the Nelson? What would you take out?

Nelson are one of my favorite hops! I guess the litchi character they have would go well with mango!

I'd remove 5 minutes from each addition after 60. e.g. 25 mins becomes 20, 15 becomes 10, ... for a more forward hop flavor/aroma profile.

So this is a little different but I would replace the centennial and amarillo with Calypso, one of my repeat brews that I pretty much always keep on tap because I get huge compliments from it, I use a combination of Calypso and Citra. Comes out great, the Citra will blend best with the mango but the calypso gives a more balanced bitter and fruity aroma that I found last a little longer.

I also agree with ShinyBuddha and do less time to get better flavor and aroma, if you want more bitterness with it just add a little more. Also with the citra you arent doing it but just in case you modify stay away from boiling over 30min with the citra hops, they have been reported to give a bad flavor for long boil times.

For the fruit, if you havent worked with fresh fruit, this is my suggestion, if you want the flavor of the fruit, transfer onto a fruit puree or chunks and let sit for about half a day to a day max and then cold crash to stop the yeast, if you let the yeast eat all the sugar you wont get much fruit flavor and get a dry alcohol flavor (not bad just might not be what you want). Cold crashing after a little bit lets the yeast eat some of the sugar to mellow out the flavor some but then stops so you get a nice hint of flavor. Ive done it both ways and if Im going for a good fruit flavor I use this method. Also use a ton of fruit, more than you think you need, I typically use 4-5 pounds for a 5 gallon batch and that just barely adds a hint of flavor

I definitely think hops are the way to go. A buddy of mine used about 5 pounds of mango and passion fruit and the flavor is very subtle. I made a wheat with Sorachi boil and then a Sorachi and Citra dryhop and it smells like Hi C Mango punch.

If I were to go all out, I'd use the fruit, citra hops (late and dry hop), and a less attenuative yeast to try to keep those fruit sugars from fermenting out.

Back