Mango Habenero IPA - I left the peppers in too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_sell31

Reaction score
Or added too many to start. Either way it is too hot. My question is did I just ruin 5 gallon of beer? Will the heat mellow over time? If so how long should I secondary it?

My first thought is to secondary another few weeks to a month? Add in a few more mango's to try to balance it out and add another oz of hops to dry hop it(had not planned on dry hopping at all).

Any other thoughts suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I think that people who put habanero in anything should be forbidden from asking, "Did I put too much habanero in?"

Make a second batch of beer - you know, that stuff with barley, hops, and water - and blend them.

Oh, and welcome to HBT. Cheers!

I agree with blending it with another beer before bottling/kegging.

But yes the habanero should fade over time, I've only ever brewed with cayenne peppers and jalapenos.

Personally, I think that people who put habanero in anything should be forbidden from asking, "Did I put too much habanero in?"

Make a second batch of beer - you know, that stuff with barley, hops, and water - and blend them.

Oh, and welcome to HBT. Cheers!

Haha, Thanks for the honest feedback!

Out of curiosity, how many peppers and how long were they in there? Were they whole or chopped? Seeds too?

The heat might mellow some with time, but with it being an IPA, so will the hops (unfortunately).

The thing about brewing with peppers is that it's better to start with a little and work your way up in future batches than to start with a buttload and get stuck with 5 gallons of napalm.

Sent from my iThingy using a series of tubes.

I've only used jalapeño but it faded very much like hops do. Mine started out super spicy. I had it on tap and would blend it with the same non-peppered beer (about 50/50). In a couple weeks, it lost half it's spiciness and tasted as if I had already blended it. It kept mellowing from there even...

I have used habs in a few saisons. I found that the throat burn will fade, but the pepper flavor will intensify. I add one, sit for a day and test, then add another. A cool idea if you keg, and I suppose this can work for any spice:

Put your peppers in a cheap hop bag and tie some fishing line to it. Drop it into the keg and taste every day. Pull it out once you achieve what you are looking for, or add more.

I also made a beer that was too hot to drink. It was a dark beer. I dont drink any of it cuz it will burn your mouth, but it is fantastic in a pot of chili.

I added 4 peppers halved and deseedid for 3 days

Yikes!

You can also roast them a tad on a grill. This will neutralize some of the heat in them as well. It can/will change the flavor a bit too, but something to consider for next time.

Or u could man up Sally
:D

I make a maceration in a pint jar with vodka and habanero peppers. Once the heat is good (appx 2 weeks) I take the habaneros out and filter through a coffee filter. You can take a small, measured sample of your brew and add a very small (syringe, dropper, etc) measured amount of the vodka for taste tests. Once you determine the correct ratio, scale it up and add the vodka to your beer. As you already determined, habanero can get potent FAST. The amount of vodka you add will be negligible so that it will not affect the flavor or abv of your beer.

This works well for many types of flavor additions and the vodka sterilizes anything you put into it.

I made a pepper beer using 2 tablespoons of crushed red pepper, cayenne?. I added it to the boil with 5 minutes to go. It seemed to me that both the flavor and the "heat" increased with time.

Blending seems the best bet to me.

Maybe it's just me, but why would anyone want a hot spicy beer ??... I can understand eating peppers with your beer, but why put them in the beer ??.........

:D

I make a maceration in a pint jar with vodka and habanero peppers. Once the heat is good (appx 2 weeks) I take the habaneros out and filter through a coffee filter. You can take a small, measured sample of your brew and add a very small (syringe, dropper, etc) measured amount of the vodka for taste tests. Once you determine the correct ratio, scale it up and add the vodka to your beer. As you already determined, habanero can get potent FAST. The amount of vodka you add will be negligible so that it will not affect the flavor or abv of your beer.

This works well for many types of flavor additions and the vodka sterilizes anything you put into it.

Awww ****!! What a great idea!!! I'm def doing this for some winter time porters n barley wines!!! <3

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did it with a Chocolate Habanero stout. There was a fine line between "detectable" and "too much" so we had to figure out a way to prevent ruining it. As an awesome side effect, you can put a few drips of this habanero vodka on oysters... it's excellent! Or in your bloody mary.

Did you take out the seeds and membranes on the inside of the peppers? They contain the highest levels of capsaicin in the fruit. I made the same mistake with a Serrano pepper beer and it became too hot. Next beer with peppers will be done better...

Did you take out the seeds and membranes on the inside of the peppers? They contain the highest levels of capsaicin in the fruit. I made the same mistake with a Serrano pepper beer and it became too hot. Next beer with peppers will be done better...

I intentionally did not remove seeds or membranes. I very much enjoy extremely hot foods. This vodka is extremely hot.... even 1/4 shot is difficult to drink. But, that way it works well even in small doses and lasts a long time. I'm serious when I say to use a syringe to add this stuff to anything. I make a bloody mary with regular vodka and add 2-3 drops of this for heat. For people who don't want the extreme heat, removing the seeds and membranes is a very good recommendation.

the bad part of peppers, Is some times you can get one that is just hell bent on being one spicy SOB... BUT to guage, look at the veins towards the stem, the more veins the hotter. BTW habanero? WHY WHY WHY?!

Update: Made 5 more gallons and left out the Habaneros. Blended the two and I have a damn good beer(and a damn lot of it!). Had two with a burger tonight, it was great.

Back