Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy **** balls, man! I've been reading this thread for a week...reached page 150 and figured I was almost done...then hit "LAST" and discovered I'm only a fraction of the way through!

I've got 10 gallons of the stuff in 2 better bottles.

My first batch I screwed up purchasing (damn Wal Mart and their 3-quart bottles! And expecting us to be entirely sober whilst doing the math...) and ended up with only 4 gallons of apple juice. So I added what I had on hand...a quart of organic cherry juice and almost 3 quarts of white grape-peach juice. 2# corn sugar plus Montrachet yeast. Took off immediately at 76 degrees, smelled AWFUL for the first 3 days, but not sulfurous (rotten egg farts) at all, just very, very sour (like badly oxidized red wine). 2 weeks in, I've just taken a sample and it's at 1.004, but still bubbling every 7-10 secs and very cloudy.

I poured the hydrometer sample over ice and tasted it...spit out the first mouthful. Took another, so I could take notes. And then another. By the end of the glass I was buzzing my a$$ off, and marveling over the minute peach notes and the dark overtones from the cherry juice.

There's another 5 gallon batch (apple juice, 2# corn sugar, Lalvin 1118) 4 days into fermentation in another better bottle. This one took off immediately also, at 76 degrees. Bubbling constantly. No sulfur smell, of course, because it's EC 1118, but I did have quite a bit of blowoff filling the airlock after 24 hours. I removed, cleaned, sterilized, and replaced and the krausen has subsided. It was dark on the top, and stark white where it met the must.

I'm serving dinner for 50 on December 18, so I think this weekend I'll acquire a few more carboys and toss a few more batches together. I updated the count thread and we're only 10 gallons away from 9,000 gallons.

That is a lot of apfelwein. :drunk:

But still only enough to fill a 4' deep pool that's 14' x 22'. So let's get brewin'!

2.5 Gallons of 100% Apple Juice (White House)
1# Dextrose
3 Grams Red Star Montrachet Yeast
OG: 1.066

I sure can't wait to bottle this stuff. I normally use 1/2L flip top bottles but I guess I should go with 12oz for Apfelwein!

this has prob been answered already in this thread but that is a ton of pages to read.. will red star pasteur champagne yeast be ok for apfelwein?

this has prob been answered already in this thread but that is a ton of pages to read.. will red star pasteur champagne yeast be ok for apfelwein?

Not sure, but your question gives me a great idea... we need and apfelwein wiki / FAQ thread... cut out all the BS from this thread and collect the good hard data and compile them into one document.

Sounds like a great idea! I am getting ready to give it my first go and would like to have all the mistakes out of the way before I get started.:ban:

That's what the first post was meant to be. It was edited to include questions from the rest of the forum.

Been a while though, so maybe someone wants to add some more of the popular questions to the post?

I just jumped on the Apfelwein bandwagon!

5gal of Meijer brand apple juice, 2#'s of dextrose
and Red Star Montrachet yeast.

apfelwein.jpg

Has anybody used Coopers Ale Yeast for Apfelwein?? I pitched almost 72hrs ago and still no activity?? I know I bought probably the cheapest ale yeast but im thinking of getting some Notingham tomorrow and re-pitch? anythoughts
This is what I Used

5-gal Meijer Brand Apple Cider
2lbs Corn sugar
Ground Cinnamon
Coopers Ale Yeast

Put all in fermenter mixed Vigoursly
Pitched Yeast

S.G. 1.065
Ferment Temp 65deg
Im thinking its the poor choice of yeast

I am going to prime 1/2 and leave the other 1/2 flat for a taste test. Do I simply bottle the "Un-primed" half then mix in the sugar with the remainder? Or do I need to boil water and mix sugar into it before adding to the must?

I just got some priming drops for that, so I took the easy way out.

You could always calibrate your bottling bucket with marks on the outside. So after bottling up some still wine, you could see how much was left and prep the right amount of sugar to mix in with it.

Would still be the safe thing to boil your water and sugar to make sure you don't introduce anything into it.

I am going to prime 1/2 and leave the other 1/2 flat for a taste test. Do I simply bottle the "Un-primed" half then mix in the sugar with the remainder? Or do I need to boil water and mix sugar into it before adding to the must?

I boil my sugar with a little water. It will help the sugar dissolve and mix evenly. I do the same thing with every batch of my Apfelwein, half still, half sparkling. My bottling bucket(Ale Pail) is graduated as well, with MY measured markings, not the ones that came on it. Just make sure you stir gently, but well.

Can I carbonate and put it in champagne bottles with beer caps? The champagne bottles can stand the pressure, right?

Anyone use Musselman's apple juice from WalMart?

I saw some there today and it was 100% pasteurized juice and I believe ascorbic acid which I believe is vitamin C. Didn't see any other ingredients and the price was right at about $3.98 a gallon.

I don't have a Sam's membership but do have a BJ's membership. Proble there is that their $4 a gallon juice has additives that will kill the yeast. (potassium sorbate IIRC)

Yeah I just picked up a 5 gallon jug from Wal Mart and I'll be going to Costco tomorrow for the juice. The only thing I couldn't find was the airlock, I asked at Wal Mart and Albertsons and water stores and everything but nowhere near me seems to have it. Does anyone know if there's a good inexpensive one I can order online?

Alas, it is finally time for me to unsubscribe from this fine thread. Good luck to everybody and congrats to Edwort, who's name is likely legendary in many prisons and Frat houses.
I'm sure many-a-panty has fallen to the evil beverage.

KD

Just bottled up my first batch of this stuff. Holy crap you can def feel the alcohol in this stuff, I drank half a pint and could feel it in seconds. Can you say dangerous!!:mug:

Started 5gals. for my first time.
Can't believe it only cost $17 for the 5g. of juice + yeast.

I used Langer's applejuice though. I figure if I like the taste better than other applejuices before then i'll like it better afterwords. And it was 3.25/gal compared to 5.25/gal for treetop!

Is a starting gravity of 1.06 about right?

yeah.. I used ec1118 yeast.

I can't really tell you how it tastes because its only been 2 weeks. I'll let you know in a couple months. But from what I've read, its drier and gives it more of a champagne taste.

But from what I've read, its drier and gives it more of a champagne taste.

Taste, Yes, Dry...no. The Montrachet will consume ALL of the available sugars, leaving it at 0.996 all the way down to 0.990 depending on how the juice attenuates. I dont' think I can tell the difference between a .996 and a .994 product as far as sweetness. The other yeast isn't going to go any dryer. you may see a point or 2 difference, but you're going to see that variation in batches of juice anyway. I suggest that you make some side by side, and report your findings after about 4 months.
Most of the "T-Whang" of apfelwein comes from the Montrachet and the Corn Sugar. Those are the first 2 things people want to change when they mess with this! I've done it too, But I must say that I make it Ed's way now, and I keg and carb 100% of my Apfelwein.

Will ascorbic acid prevent the yeast from growing? Every type of apple juice I've found contains it.

Alright, I found a couple posts that say this will not hurt, can anyone confirm for me before I go buy it?

from what I've read, ascorbic acid is basically Vitamin C.....

hi! first time poster (and practically first time brewer).
my airlock stopped bubbling about 4-5 days into fermentation! i haven't taken a gravity reading. i'm pretty sure there were no sulfites in my juice, and the OG was 1062.

should i stir the lees?

Man, after reading all of this I'm going to start on sanitizing my equipment and making me a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein. I cant wait to till its ready!
:ban:

hi! first time poster (and practically first time brewer).
my airlock stopped bubbling about 4-5 days into fermentation! i haven't taken a gravity reading. i'm pretty sure there were no sulfites in my juice, and the OG was 1062.

should i stir the lees?

Welcome....NO

Leave it alone....when it's clear then you can give it a taste!

You did use Montrachet?

Welcome....NO

Leave it alone....when it's clear then you can give it a taste!

You did use Montrachet?

yah, definitely used a packet of montrachet. and 4 days of fermenting then nothing. total silence in the airlock. i don't think my fermenter (brew bucket) is seeping CO2, or if it is, i don't know why it would start suddenly after 4 days.

is this common for montrachet?

OK, I've read about 30 pages of this thread and I haven't seen this discussed - why the use of dextrose vs. regular or brown sugar?

OH IT"S HERE! Over and Over. 30 Pages isnt' even 10% Silly!

On the top Right side in the tan bar there is a "Search This Thread" function. it will help you search out Brown Sugar.

FWIW I didn't like it when I tried it.

Back