Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is really a matter of personal preference. 'Backsweetening ( if that's a word) to taste' is exactly that, sweeten it to what you prefer. You can add concentrate, apple juice, corn sugar, etc. You said you were going to keg, so it is up to you. Somewhere between 1-3 cans of concentrate, or 32-64 oz of juice, or a pound of sugar, into the keg, seal it up, cool it down and put the CO2 on it.

I'd say add some form of sugar until you get a taste you like, then seal the keg and keep cold.

If you did NOT do something to stop the yeast ( Camden tablets), then the yeast will eat thru whatever sugar you add to sweeten if kept at room temp. If you put the keg in a cooler ( 40ish degrees ), you will be ok for months, but if you leave the keg at room temp, the back sweetened sugar will just turn into alcohol.

This is a start, thank you. I don't plan on placing it in the kegerator right away because it's only 3 months old (I need the carboy), so I guess I'm going to have to look into the camden tablets before I back sweeten.

George

How do you sweeten it?
Many folks back sweeten it with Wine Conditioner. Wine Conditioner is a blend of sucrose and sorbic acid. The addition of 2-4 oz. per gallon adds sweetness and prevents renewed fermentation. It can be purchased as any LHBS that caters to wine makers. Others will use Splenda or lactose (other non-fermentable sugars). Germans who prefer it sweet (or Suß as they say) will add a splash of Sprite or 7up to a glass. This is the easiest method as you don't have to make a whole "sweet" batch that way.

Maybe if I just reread the original post I would have found the simplest answer!

Doh!

George

Ive only been brewing about 6 months now.I find its best at my level to read as much as I can find..and take notes..lots of notes...im trying to nail down what sweetness level I prefer by specific gravity..so I can brew up a batch and if im making it sweet instead of fermenting it out I can stop it at about the right sweetness for my tastes..

Thanks for the link, it was helpful! I guess I was looking for "this works to achieve this" and so forth, but now see that it may be more difficult to find that..... Hmmmm...... Maybe I'll start a new thread.... LOL

George

That would be awesome! We could use a good thread on back-sweetening. If you do make it, would you post it here, or message me the link? I am currently looking for some video guides I would like to post!

OK Guys,
My batch is just over 3 months old and I need some room..... So, I plan to keg it this weekend, but my sample last month was a bit dry for me. I would like to backsweeten it. What is the best method for my situation and should I fully carbonate it or just push the headspace out?

George

I prefer to backsweeten in the glass. So far I have tried apple soda, V8 Splash and Torani syrups. The cinnamon syrup was my favorite so far.

I've made several batches of the original recipe, as well as with adding a lb or two of honey to the primary, and very much like the results. now getting curious about playing around a bit, just started a batch and it has been fermenting for a week. Has anyone ever added fresh cherries to the primary? I have six lbs I picked up from Costco, and I'm curious what their impact would be.

Maybe if I just reread the original post I would have found the simplest answer!

Doh!

George

So my LHBS didn't have a wine conditioner. He told me to pick up campden tablets (1/gal) and potassium sorbate (1/2tsp/gal), wait a couple days and then back sweeten with anything I like.

I've done that and now am thinking of going the juice concentrate route. I'm thinking 1 can of cranberry or an apple cranberry blend..... Thoughts? Will 1 can knock the "dry" out of it? I don't want it to be too sweet.

George

I'm going to whip this up tomorrow and I have a couple of questions. Once it has fermented for 4 or 5 weeks, I plan on backsweetening with some concentrate, and I want it to be bottled and carbonated. If I bottle it immediately after backsweetening, it will carb up just like beer correct? And how do I keep the yeast from burning through all of it and drying up too much, or is that not a problem? Would pasteurizing the bottles be ok after it carbs up?

I'm going to whip this up tomorrow and I have a couple of questions. Once it has fermented for 4 or 5 weeks, I plan on backsweetening with some concentrate, and I want it to be bottled and carbonated. If I bottle it immediately after backsweetening, it will carb up just like beer correct? And how do I keep the yeast from burning through all of it and drying up too much, or is that not a problem? Would pasteurizing the bottles be ok after it carbs up?

I'm not saying you can't do that, but it is very tricky and has a high likelihood of over carbonation/ bottle bombs. Most people say the only reliably safe way to get the combo of sweet/carbonated is to force carb in a keg.

But someone else may have other ideas.

The process Ive heard is to kill the yeast (potassium sorbate I think), then backsweeten, keg, carb, then fill bottles if u like.

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

That will work. I would bottle one in a plastic bottle. When it is firm, you know it is time to pasteurize. It isn't without risks though.

Go to the cider forum and look for the sticky called stove top pasteurization. There you'll find step by step instructions. I've done it several times with no mishaps. Not even a broken bottle.

Thanks for the replies. Got 5 gal chugging happily away in a ferm chamber right now. Ended up using brown sugar instead of dextrose.

Go to the cider forum and look for the sticky called stove top pasteurization. There you'll find step by step instructions. I've done it several times with no mishaps. Not even a broken bottle.

That will work. I would bottle one in a plastic bottle. When it is firm, you know it is time to pasteurize. It isn't without risks though.

That's what I had in my mind to do, glad to get confirmation that it'll work.

The process Ive heard is to kill the yeast (potassium sorbate I think), then backsweeten, keg, carb, then fill bottles if u like.

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Wish I could do that, don't have room for a kegging setup right now. Maybe in the future

So a year ago, June 2013, I set a 6 gallon batch of this down except I used Saflager S-23 yeast and fermented at about 12 degrees celsius (53-54 F) in a modified freezer... I bottled it still from primary late June 2014... Wow... Absolutely delicious...

The lager yeast only took it down to 1008 from 1060 giving me an ABV of about 6.6% which is more than ample - even if it doesn't blow your socks off...

so about a week and a half ago i whipped it up and its done fermenting. Its still going to sit a while yet so I was wondering if i back sweeten and prime it will I need to pasteurize it?

EDIT: nevermind. saaw above posts.

so about a week and a half ago i whipped it up and its done fermenting. Its still going to sit a while yet so I was wondering if i back sweeten and prime it will I need to pasteurize it?

EDIT: nevermind. saaw above posts.

Unless you back sweeten with Splenda, Stevia or such...

I'm planning on staying my first batch today off apfelwine. Is there any reason to specifically use a carboy? Can I just ferment it in my regular beer fermentation pail?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Is there any reason to specifically use a carboy? Can I just ferment it in my regular beer fermentation pail?

Since this is usually aged longer, I prefer carboys to minimize air space. I hold back 2 quarts for the crazy fermentation to complete and top it off right to the neck.

I'm planning on staying my first batch today off apfelwine. Is there any reason to specifically use a carboy? Can I just ferment it in my regular beer fermentation pail?

If you're doing a large batch and there won't be a lot of headroom, you should be OK.

I see. I'm doing the full five gallon batch. I can top it off to more if I need to minimize air space. Thanks.

So I'm about a week or so into making this and it still has a slow ferment going on and real cloudy. I decided to give it a taste because I was curious. Wow, awful bitter taste and just off. Could that be from yeast still being in suspension or dissolved co2 or something representative of a young unfinished wine or does it sound like something went wrong? I'm not really worried about it or anything just curious, as I'm still learning.

we jumped the gun on bottling but oh well. fermented out to .990. back sweetened and primed. waiting to pasteurize. very exciting!

So I'm about a week or so into making this and it still has a slow ferment going on and real cloudy. I decided to give it a taste because I was curious. Wow, awful bitter taste and just off. Could that be from yeast still being in suspension or dissolved co2 or something representative of a young unfinished wine or does it sound like something went wrong? I'm not really worried about it or anything just curious, as I'm still learning.

This early in the game you have nothing to worry about.

I started some Apple Cider yesterday. It's the first thing I made in nearly 3 years. I did deviate from the recipe by substituting the sugar with 2 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate. I made a 3 gallon batch. 3 gallons juice and 2 cans of concentrate gave me a 1.059 gravity reading. I know it will turn out quite dry which is fine by me but my better half likes sweeter. Any recommendations on yeast and/or ways to add sweetness to it? I'm quite excited its fermenting away quite nicely.

So this is my first time doing any home brewing, I love cider and figured i'd give this a try. Ran into a snag lol, forgot to buy a Funnel haha. So I used the "Pipe transfer" thingy (you pump it to get it started). I made sure to sanitize it first as well.

That being said I followed the basic recipe listed. But is carbing really necessary? It seems like everyone is doing it?

Also...Was I supposed to hydrate the yeast? I used the Montrachet...but just poured the dry stuff in there and shook it a little bit. Oops if I was supposed to.

That being said When can I taste test it? And how.....since Im using a Glass Carboy with Airlock, how would I taste test it without possibly infecting it?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is my first time doing any home brewing, I love cider and figured i'd give this a try. Ran into a snag lol, forgot to buy a Funnel haha. So I used the "Pipe transfer" thingy (you pump it to get it started). I made sure to sanitize it first as well.

-I think you're talking about an auto-siphon. Yes, it is fine. The benefit you'd get from a funnel is aeration, but you can shake your carboy to aerate (probably not really a big deal if you shook it in the bottles to dissolve the sugar).

"That being said I followed the basic recipe listed. But is carbing really necessary? It seems like everyone is doing it?"

- I carbonate Apfelwein because I like it that way. Other people don't. Totally a preference issue.

"Also...Was I supposed to hydrate the yeast? I used the Montrachet...but just poured the dry stuff in there and shook it a little bit. Oops if I was supposed to."

-Ideally, yes. It will probably be fine though. Don't stress too much about it.

"That being said When can I taste test it? And how.....since Im using a Glass Carboy with Airlock, how would I taste test it without possibly infecting it?"

-Sanitize a wine thief or turkey baster and go from there. You'll probably be disappointed though. Like the other guy said, waiting is best. I think the first page says something like "6 months and it hits its stride, 9 and it will blow your mind". Pretty true, but realistically you probably won't have (m)any bottles left at 9 months. I find it is decent after a few months.

"Thanks!"

-Good luck!

I see. I'm doing the full five gallon batch. I can top it off to more if I need to minimize air space. Thanks.

I ended up stopping by the brew shop and buying a 5 gallon carboy to use. I started my batch Saturday 07/05. The brew shop did not have Montrachet yeast specifically and recommended I substitute a Montpellier yeast instead made by Lalvin (K1-V1116). It's bubbling away nicely still. Looking forward to giving it a taste for Christmas.

I have 6 gallons that was transferred off of the yeast in August of last year. It's going on a year now! I have a batch of Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio that has both been sitting for 8 months. I plan on bottling them first so my Apfelwein may not even be bottle until well after a year. The airlock has been filled the whole time. Is this going to be awesome or is there any way it went bad?

I have 6 gallons that was transferred off of the yeast in August of last year. It's going on a year now! I have a batch of Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio that has both been sitting for 8 months. I plan on bottling them first so my Apfelwein may not even be bottle until well after a year. The airlock has been filled the whole time. Is this going to be awesome or is there any way it went bad?

Always possible. However, if you were diligent in sanitation and storage, chances are that you're in for a tasty beverage.

I am going to assemble this tomorrow. I bought the goods for a three gallon batch using Adam and Eve 100% Apple juice with vitamin c added no other preservatives.

Note: the half gallon jugs were $2.18 each the full gallon jugs in plastic were $4.48 each. Watch your price labels per quart it was cheaper to buy the half gallon jugs.

The montacharet yeast was .85 cents

I'm going to use 2 pounds of brown sugar couldn't get dextrose.

Does the montacharet yeast have to be temp controlled.

What temp do I pitch at?

I am going to assemble this tomorrow. I bought the goods for a three gallon batch using Adam and Eve 100% Apple juice with vitamin c added no other preservatives.

Note: the half gallon jugs were $2.18 each the full gallon jugs in plastic were $4.48 each. Watch your price labels per quart it was cheaper to buy the half gallon jugs.

The montacharet yeast was .85 cents

I'm going to use 2 pounds of brown sugar couldn't get dextrose.

Does the montacharet yeast have to be temp controlled.

What temp do I pitch at?

I always just ferment at ambient temps which are normally anywhere from 60-75. Cooler than 65 just takes a little longer, same with brown sugar too.

I'm looking forward to having an easy day tomorrow a batch of apfelwein and a postal partial mash wheat.

Good Morning and thank you for all the information in this thread and of course the wonderful recipe. The first batch I made, I back sweetened with splenda and keg carbed (it turned out great). My current 6 gallon batch I thought I would stabilize with 1/4 teaspoon Potassium Metabisulfite and 3 teaspoons Potassium Sorbate then back sweeten with 4 cups of regular sugar (simple syrup) and eventually keg carb. So yesterday I did just that and popped the airlock back on and this morning I have some bubbling (maybe one bubble every minute or two). What do I do now? Add more Potassium Metabisulfite and/or more Potassium Sorbate? If so, how much of each? Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

I also have a question. I assembled my batch this morning and would like to know if I can bottle it in two weeks and let it age that way so I can have my carboy back?

I also have a question. I assembled my batch this morning and would like to know if I can bottle it in two weeks and let it age that way so I can have my carboy back?

You might be able to get it done that quick if you use yeast nutrient. My last batch took about 7 weeks to get to FG but I didn't use any nutrient and I think I underpitched the yeast.

You might be able to get it done that quick if you use yeast nutrient. My last batch took about 7 weeks to get to FG but I didn't use any nutrient and I think I underpitched the yeast.

I used the whole five gram package of montacharet for three gallons.

What about amylase enzyme. Will that speed it along?

If I bottle at two weeks. And Not add priming sugar will it just carb up and age in the bottles?

Back