Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
use better juice. if you can find apple juice that has more flavor in the beginning then it finishes out with more flavor

I used frozen apple juice concentrate to give my last couple batches of apfelwein a better body and it really seems to work fine..
Just put in your next batch a 12oz can of thawed frozen apple juice concentrate* in addition to the gallon of juice (5 gallons juice with 5 12oz cans frozen apple juice concentrate) it really enriched the flavor quite a bit, but it did make it a bit more "hot" tasting so it is probably going to take a bit longer to age, but we have drank some at the 3 month mark and it is much better, and I hope to have some left at the 6 and 12 month marks as it should be great then!:D

I made a cyser with one gallon apple juice with the added 12oz can AJ Concentrate and 2lbs honey and it tasted hot but great when i racked off the lees.
Also when I get more equipment and more ingredients I plan on a 5 gallon batch of the apfelwein with 5 cans of the apple/raspberry frozen concentrate.
Should be yummy.
*Do not dilute the concentrate just pour into the gallons after using some of the gallon to shake it and get some air in there.

I hope this might help with your wine feeling "watery" without having to add anything chemical to it to add body. EM

I just finished reading the ENTIRE thread before I posted...I promised myself I'd do it...and I did.

:drunk: I think my eyes are bleeding slightly...

ANYWHO...

I've got 2 batches in process right now. First one was pitched on 11/20/09, the second was pitched last week (12/3/09), just about exactly 2 weeks later per EdWort's directions. I've already taken a couple of samples of the older batch (which is surprisingly clear already!)...

HOT DIGGITY DA-YUM!

Both batches are original recipe. The older of the two tastes fantastic. Nice and dry, with a good bit of apple flavor remaining (though I'm sure that will fade out with the rest of the sugars). Can't wait to bottle the first one. The second one is going in a keg to hide for awhile.

This is going in permanent rotation. I think I need a few more carboys so I can always have 3 batches going. :D :mug:

My first batch started 10/27 is right tolerable. A wee bit watery perhaps yet but served as is, it suits me fine (and I'm more of a red wine drinker). 2nd batch is working on it's 4th week already.

Warmed with brown sugar, cinnamon stick and spiced rum -- pretty good. I'm not a fan of spiced cider but I can sip this one just fine. Key word, "sip." It'll sneak up on ya with the rum added in. That first batch is going to get bottled this weekend for family Christmas giving & get togethers.

Oh My God...

I just pulled the first sample of my first batch which has been in primary for 7.5 weeks without me touching it.

This stuff is AWESOME! Waaay exceeded my expectations. It tastes so good I think I'm going to bottle it without priming sugar. Its fine the way it is, and now that I've tasted it, there is no way I can let it sit any longer. Its crystal clear, and ended at 1.004 so there is just a hint of sweetness.

I was planning on bottling my pale ale tomorrow, then doing a brown ale to take up my primary, but I think I'll be getting another batch of this stuff going instead.

Oh My God...

I just pulled the first sample of my first batch which has been in primary for 7.5 weeks without me touching it.

This stuff is AWESOME! Waaay exceeded my expectations. It tastes so good I think I'm going to bottle it without priming sugar. Its fine the way it is, and now that I've tasted it, there is no way I can let it sit any longer. Its crystal clear, and ended at 1.004 so there is just a hint of sweetness.

I was planning on bottling my pale ale tomorrow, then doing a brown ale to take up my primary, but I think I'll be getting another batch of this stuff going instead.

Yeah, it's pretty freaking good. It's especially good on cold nights when it's made into a grog. I've found a lot of people have been talking about that lately I guess because it's the winter, but heck, try making you some. You won't regret it.

Remember, Apfelwein goes a long way. Its some strong shat.

This season, I've taken to pouring 1/2 glass apfelwein onto ice, then fill the rest of the way with ginger ale. Fantastic beverage!

ok, so here's my problem, I made a batch of Apfelwein that I plan to give as a gift this Christmas. The batch came out good, but not as boozy as I expected it to be. I followed the directions as they were written. Now that's I've bottled and corked using short rubber with black plastic caps on top I'm realizing that fermentation is not complete. I opened a bottle a few days ago and there was a noticeable pop as pressure was released. I let the pressure out of the rest of the bottles but I don't want the wine to pop the corks out. I'd hate to give these bottles as gifts and have to warn my friends to keep it upright. How can I solve this problem? I was thinking about pasteurizing but I thought I'd go to the pros first.
Thanks.

ok, so here's my problem, I made a batch of Apfelwein that I plan to give as a gift this Christmas. The batch came out good, but not as boozy as I expected it to be. I followed the directions as they were written. Now that's I've bottled and corked using short rubber with black plastic caps on top I'm realizing that fermentation is not complete. I opened a bottle a few days ago and there was a noticeable pop as pressure was released. I let the pressure out of the rest of the bottles but I don't want the wine to pop the corks out. I'd hate to give these bottles as gifts and have to warn my friends to keep it upright. How can I solve this problem? I was thinking about pasteurizing but I thought I'd go to the pros first.
Thanks.

How long ago did you make your batch? Was the Apfelwein noticeably clear before you bottled? It could just be a bit of Co2 that's coming out of solution. How long was the bottle capped and did you taste to see if it had any carbonic feel to it? I'm pretty sure those cheapo caps aren't designed for pressure and I know that most wine bottles aren't either. You need to make sure that you won't give your friends some bottle bombs by accident (although I think those lids would pop off before that even got close to happening).

j

J

I fermented for about eight weeks and it was clear when I bottled. I hadent even thought about bottle bombs...I was only thinking about blown corks. I bottled about a week ago and I let out some pressure 3 days after bottling then again thismorning. There was still a psssst when I loosed the cork. So how do you think I can stop these yeast

I fermented for about eight weeks and it was clear when I bottled. I hadent even thought about bottle bombs...I was only thinking about blown corks. I bottled about a week ago and I let out some pressure 3 days after bottling then again thismorning. There was still a psssst when I loosed the cork. So how do you think I can stop these yeast

Yeah, my biggest concern with this is bottle bombs b/c most wine bottles aren't meant to hold pressure like beer bottles are. But like I said before, I'm sure a cork would pop before the bottle would. Man, I don't really have any advice for you b/c I've never dealt with this situation, but I don't think it's still fermenting. I'd just vent them once a week until you gave them away. I bet they will be just fine.

Is there any sediment in the bottom of the bottles?

My wife and I just bottled our first batch and when we tasted it we decided to definitely through another 5 gallons of juice and 2lbs of sugar on the yeast asap. I've enjoyed a 1/2 liter this evening and fully intend to call EdWort a mother$#@% tomorrow morning.

TASTY!!!

I have an empty 3 gallon carboy and want to try to make my first batch. Would I just cut the original recipe to 3/5. Also, can I use my 7.5 gallon primary for primary fermentation then rack into my 3 gallon carboy? or will that primary be too large?

Thanks

I have an empty 3 gallon carboy and want to try to make my first batch. Would I just cut the original recipe to 3/5. Also, can I use my 7.5 gallon primary for primary fermentation then rack into my 3 gallon carboy? or will that primary be too large?

Thanks

If you want to make a 3 gallon batch and you have a three gallon carboy, make it in there. The wine yeast doesn't create a krausen, so you have nothing to worry about. Just buy three gallons of AJ and about 19 oz (by weight) of corn sugar in the carboy or as much AJ wil fit leaving about an inch or two below the airlock. I typically leave my Apfelwein in the primary for a couple of months before I worry about racking to a secondary or bottling.

Yep...
3 gallons of juice and as much sugar or honey as you can fit.
3 gallons juice, 2 lb clover honey and a crushed pear and a packet of Nottingham dry..
That should make the perfect scrumpy....About 8%
Mine is almost carbed perfect now and stronggggg....:rockin:

Yep...
3 gallons of juice and as much sugar or honey as you can fit.
3 gallons juice, 2 lb clover honey and a crushed pear and a packet of Nottingham dry..
That should make the perfect scrumpy....About 8%
Mine is almost carbed perfect now and stronggggg....:rockin:

Yeah, but the Nottingham will make a krausen, so you will have to use a larger carboy.

Yeah, but the Nottingham will make a krausen, so you will have to use a larger carboy.
I used Montpelier instead of Montrachet (my LHBS didn't have Montrachet), and ended up putting a drop of fermcap-s/gas-x/simethicone into the carboy once I saw the krausen start to rise up the neck.

I used Montpelier instead of Montrachet (my LHBS didn't have Montrachet), and ended up putting a drop of fermcap-s/gas-x/simethicone into the carboy once I saw the krausen start to rise up the neck.

I've used a few different wine yeasts. I've used Montrachet, Lalvlin 1116, and lalvin 1118. They've all produced similar wines, but none have made any krausen. They've all just sent bubbles up to the top.

Hi i'm newbies on making wine. i would like to make a batch of apple wine, but in my country i can not find any place that can buy champagne yeast. so is that possible that i using yeast that use to make glutinous rice wine to replace champagne yeast?

Thank in advance.

My first brew was made shortly after my 15 minute dive into Ed's finest.

That was a whole grain brew from a LHBS and it was baller, we did a great job for our first beer and first whole grain at that.

Back to Apfelwein.

I tried it after 3 weeks expecting it to be bad. It was really really bad. It tasted like watered down apple juice with way too much vodka.

I decided to bottle a few at 3 weeks while previewing the taste, and then I waited until 2 months in and bottled the rest.

I've just had the last of the first batch of bottling, so these have been conditioning in bottle after 3 weeks in the carboy. This last bottle, 7 weeks later, is the best bottle I've had, easily. It's got a fantastic head, the alcohol is not overpowering, it's got a crisp apple taste but fantastic thick mouthfeel, and I've probably had 10 oz and feel very nice.

I've sampled some of the most recently bottled stuff and it doesn't have the mouthfeel, it's very different, far more akin to a still white wine with apple flavor. I'm definitely not as much of a fan. I really like this bottle and the very subtle bubbling/foaming texture as it slashes in my mouth, very cold-beer like.

I'll be making another batch soon, the first being classic Eds and the latter trying champagne yeast, and an earlyish bottling.

Anyone have recommendations for getting that nice mouthfeel I've been talking about using some 'bubbles' yeast?

Love it, btw, it's awesome. I made Ed's wort at a gift exchange by adding cardamom, cinnamon stick, allspice, and brown sugar, was a huge hit, one guy came up and said "this second glass sure does go down faster than the first".

The win.
:ban:

I have a batch of apfel wine that has been fermenting for 31 days. I was hoping to bottle it before Thursday because I am going home for Christmas break and would like to give some of the bottles as gifts. The Sg is about 1.000 but co2 bubbles are still coming out of solution. Is this finished? The temperature has been around 70 for the fermentation.

I just want to let everyone know, I have a 6 gallon batch that I have had sitting in the better bottle for 14 months now...today is bottling day! I'm so excited, oh, and I'm filling her back up again as well :D

Too bad we don't have a sh*t eating grin smiley

I just want to let everyone know, I have a 6 gallon batch that I have had sitting in the better bottle for 14 months now...today is bottling day! I'm so excited, oh, and I'm filling her back up again as well :D

You know if you bottle more often you can make more than one batch a year. ;) But then again it helps with the temptation of drinking it before it's aged.

Oh, totally forgot!

So 14 month Apfelwein....tastes amazing, I could drink it like it is now without carbination

Holy cow, 14 months. Good stuff!

So, I have a batch that has been in the carboy for 3 months on 12/27/09 but it is still not clear, I used unpasteurized, non-treated juice & everything else according to the recipe. Think it is OK to bottle it?

There's an apple festival in High Rolls, NM, next weekend. We went last year and got some great cider by the gallon (the fresh-pressed stuff, not fermented). This year I want to stock up and ferment a batch. I'm guessing, EdWort, that you serve this stuff non-sparkling. SWMBO likes the commercial ciders like Hornsby's, Scrumpy Jack's, Woodpecker, etc. Do you think your method would taste good with carbonation, or might I have to sweeten a bit with some lactose or other unfermentable?

EDIT:

Nevermind, all the info I needed was right here! The rest of the thread describes the pros/cons of sweetening. Remind me to read more closely next time!

OK. It's been three years. Here's your reminder. :D

Damn this thread is long... congratz Ed for probably having the highest following of any HBT member.

I've been reading this thread forever it seems and I've still only made it to page 104 (post 1031). Currently I've collected everything that I need for my first Apfelwein attempt, but I'm having second thoughts on my choice of apple juice. I have picked up 10 gallons (2 batches) of Costco's Kirkland Fresh Pressed 100% Apple Juice (not from concentrate) on the assumption that since it is not a concentrate that it will some how be better. By which I mean have more apple aroma/flavor to it. Can anyone speak to this concept? concentrate vs. non concentrate?

Alternatively I've been eyeing this Santa Cruz Organic Apple Juice that Ralph's has. This juice "needs to be shaken before served" and so has a layer of sediment at the bottom. Would this help or harm the overall product. Would mixing in a gallon of this be ok? I like the fact it comes in gallon glass jugs which could easily be reused as small batch carboys etc. I also have access to Tree Top which Ed uses, so another thought would be to use that as a control batch.

Additionally, although I planned to get the Red Star Montrachet my LHBS does not carry it but claimed Lalvin K1-V116 was it's equal (can anyone confirm this?). I'm open to other suggestions for yeast too however if I do two different batches I would like to keep at least one constant variable, meaning either use the same juice in both batches and switch up the yeast, or use the same yeast in both batches and maybe switch up the juice so I at least have a reference point of what cause the change.

TIA for your answers. I will continue to chug through this thread as every now and then a glint of new information arises.

Cheers! :mug:

I've used Cosco Kirkland juice to make a more conventional cider and it came out very tasty, I haven't used it for the Ed Wort special yet :)

Additionally, although I planned to get the Red Star Montrachet my LHBS does not carry it but claimed Lalvin K1-V116 was it's equal (can anyone confirm this?).

Lalvin's published alcohol tolerance for K1V-116 is 16%, while Red Star's Montrachet is 13%. From my experience, K1V will go as high as EC-1118. I wouldn't exactly call it an equal.

Lalvin's published alcohol tolerance for K1V-116 is 16%, while Red Star's Montrachet is 13%. From my experience, K1V will go as high as EC-1118. I wouldn't exactly call it an equal.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting information although the estimated ABV should only be around 8.5% so on that note, there would be no difference to the Apfelwein. How about in regards to flavor profile and krausen? To compare the yeast this site is nice, but I was hoping to get some feedback from folks who had some first hand experience.

I've never pitched Montrachet. I have used K1V-1116; as a matter of fact chose it to do my first batch of apfelwein, which is clearing now. It took it dry in seven days. The small sample I took at racking was nice. I'm not sure I would use it for sur lie aging.

Edit: There was very little krausen with the K1V in the apfelwein.

I'm not sure I would use it for sur lie aging.
How big was the sample you tired? :tank:

What I think you said was "I'm not sure I would use it for Shirley again." That or "I'm not sure I would use it again."

:mug:

Edit: Thanks for the krausen info as I was planning this in 5 gallon carboys, but debating using one 5 gallon and one 7 gallon instead.

I found this site today while trying to research, after the fact, my first two bathches of Applewine. I didn't know it was applewine, I thought I was just making hard cider, but I added 2 lbs of brown sugar to each 5 gallons of apple cider. My question is, given 5 gallons of pure apple cider, 2 lbs dark brown sugar, and that I used champagne yeast which was allowed to ferment it dry, how much alcohol is in this stuff??? I drank 48 oz of the stuff the other night, and I was pretty happy. That amount of beer wouldn't faze me much, but that amount of cider was more that plenty! What kind of ABV am I looking at?

Latest posts

Back