Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, this is a really interesting topic. Been reading and have a question. Made a batch on 5/1. Starting to clear now and will probably rack to keg here in another month. My question, after I rack off of the yeast cake, can I reuse the cake and just dump in more apple juice and sugar, shake it up, and then let it sit? What I like about this stuff is that you don't have to worry about blowovers and you don't have to keep it totally dark.

Ready to do my second batch this weekend. I just realized my Redstar Montrachet yeast has not been refrigerated for 4 months since I got it when doing my first batch.Do you guys think it's bad and should I get some fresh yeast?

3 days in and the whole house smells like feet... :D I'm guessing that's what the rhino farts are eh?

Mine too! I've got some pretty impressive steady fermentation going on right now and I can really smell it when I walk in the house.

I like mine lightly carbonated. It tastes better. I don't care what z Germans say.

Who's afraid of zee-Germans? I tend to let my carbed stuff sit for awhile after pouring, and next batch I'll lower the priming sugar a bit as well. I also just corked my "still" half, CO2 and all, so it's still a bit tingly. (if those ^%&%* corks hold I'm happy) :cross:

(batch #2 is looking great, this recipe gives you drinks and a show)

SOLD!!!!!!

Thank you EdWort

Kegged up my first batch.
I think I'll pretty much keep one going year round!

As a side note, the 3qt juice bottles make GREAT storage containers for specialty grains!
Hold 4+ pounds.

Ready to do my second batch this weekend. I just realized my Redstar Montrachet yeast has not been refrigerated for 4 months since I got it when doing my first batch.Do you guys think it's bad and should I get some fresh yeast?

It isn't kept refrigerated at my LHBS. I think it'll be OK. ;)

Boy, this is a really interesting topic. Been reading and have a question. Made a batch on 5/1. Starting to clear now and will probably rack to keg here in another month. My question, after I rack off of the yeast cake, can I reuse the cake and just dump in more apple juice and sugar, shake it up, and then let it sit? What I like about this stuff is that you don't have to worry about blowovers and you don't have to keep it totally dark.

It has been done though I wouldn't try it, 79 cents for a fresh pack vs all that juice, with the potential for autolysis and soapy apfelwein...

I plan to make this weekend but I'm going more for a wine not a cider. Can i do the same process as the cider but degas the wine once it has finished fermenting and it has cleared.

ok kegged the Apfelwein i started on April 24th, whoa!
Wife loved it..i loved it..both had hangovers this morning!, ugh!
but it came out excellent . good recipe.problem is its pretty strong.. i dont know how long it'll take to swill 5 gallons..I need to throw a party to get rid of it... hehe,
How can i make it closer to 3.5% - 5% ? my old man brain cant handle the 8% or whats left of it anyway..thnaks for the recipe.Joe

My question, after I rack off of the yeast cake, can I reuse the cake and just dump in more apple juice and sugar, shake it up, and then let it sit? .

i bet you could..but the cake is really stuck to the bottom..not like a beer yeast for sure. you may have to warm up some juice say 1/2 gallon and swish the heck out of it to get it off the bottom. since its been setting up for so long .:mug:

How can i make it closer to 3.5% - 5% ? my old man brain cant handle the 8% or whats left of it anyway..thnaks for the recipe.Joe

Cutting out the two pounds of sugar will lower the ABV in the 6.0-6.5% range, as for taking it down further I'd guess kill the yeast and blend with regular apple juice until you get down to the alcohol content you desire.

I mixed up my first batch of this today and have 2 questions (to start with, anyhow)....

1) I used a 6.5 gallon Better Bottle carboy, meaning I have lots of space left between the juice and the airlock. Is that an issue?

2) I plan on carbonating some of it and having the rest still. I saved some 0.5 gallon apple juice bottles thinking they'd be good for the still version. They are Mott's plastic bottles with a number 1 for the recycling indicator. Any thoughts on putting the finished product back in these bottles?

My brother and I did a cranapfelwein - it comes out really tart, so we stabilized and backsweetened it. Unfortunately, didn't realize that it needed to have the chemicals settle for a while - so it had a horrible taste, and he decided to trash the batch. A month later, the four bottles we did save taste wonderful, and we're kicking ourselves for not saving the rest of it...

I mixed up my first batch of this today and have 2 questions (to start with, anyhow)....

1) I used a 6.5 gallon Better Bottle carboy, meaning I have lots of space left between the juice and the airlock. Is that an issue?

2) I plan on carbonating some of it and having the rest still. I saved some 0.5 gallon apple juice bottles thinking they'd be good for the still version. They are Mott's plastic bottles with a number 1 for the recycling indicator. Any thoughts on putting the finished product back in these bottles?

1) Define "lots of space". Look at page 1 of this post. Are you way more than that, or...? You need some space for fermentation so you don't want to go too close to the neck.
2) If Mott's juice came in the bottles then they are food quality. Make sure that you wash them thoroughly as you would any other bottle for your homemade beverages.

1) Define "lots of space". Look at page 1 of this post. Are you way more than that, or...? You need some space for fermentation so you don't want to go too close to the neck.

Yes, I have more space than that. Those (on page 1) are 5 gallon carboys, I think. Mine is 6.5 gallons. So I basically have 1.5 gallons of space above the surface of the juice.

That's what I was thinking on the bottles, thanks for confirming.

As long as you don't move it much, the CO2 coming out of the fermenting juice will push all oxygen out, so there's no worry there. The only problem with all that space is that you're wasting it; you could've thrown another gallon of juice in there :p

My thought, too. I would have made 6 - 6 1/2 gallons... Anyone have a comment as to whether it's too late to add more????? How much additional corn sugar???

As long as that yeast is going strong, seems to me you can give it more to work on no problem. You need to maintain sanitation, though as you will be opening up the fermenter.

As far as the corn sugar, it's just a ratio. So since you had 2 lb sugar for 5 gal apple juice, that's .4lb per 1 gal or 0.6 lb for 1.5 gal. Make sense?

If you're precise with your addition and consistent from the initial 5 gal, your OG should be the same, just more of it!

After tasting my Apfelwein at a BBQ last week, a friend just dropped off 8 gallons of fresh pressed juice from his orchard. He said, "When it's done, the wife wants a bottle!" Obviously she's going to get several liter bottles!!

This stuff tastes amazing, and I'm looking forward to this batch. It's a little chunky, so I may strain it through some cheesecloth...whatever gets beyond that ought to eventually settle out.

Regarding wild yeast...how many campden tablets would be required to kill them off? I've read 5 tablets will kill off the Montrachet in a 5 gallon batch (to allow back-sweetening,) but that seems a little excessive for eliminating whatever wild bugs are present. They say they've "pasteurized" the juice by bringing it up to a certain temperature (well below boiling) but they were rather vague about the procedure, and I'd be more comfortable with the campden.

I made a batch Dec 1/2008.

Kind of forgot about it. And I poured a little glass last nite.

Man is that some tasty ****. It's nice and soft now, with a super smooth, almost buttery texture. I don't drink it often, but it's nice to have around!

Just started my 2nd batch, I didn't obey the rules and I started my 2nd batch after I was done with my first. My friends drank most of it! still a little left for me. Thanks Edwort, this recipe rocks. It reminds my of the Apfelmoßt I had last year in Germany.

This time I'm trying adding a gallon of Gala apple juice and McIntosh from trader joes in addition to the tree top. We will see if the blend adds any extra taste.

as I sit here watching my apfel bubble away, I cant help but think I need more carboys cause 5gal's at a time is just not enough. everyone who tries it ends up taking several bottles home with them. I'm also going to have to buy more bottles.

as I sit here watching my apfel bubble away, I cant help but think I need more carboys cause 5gal's at a time is just not enough. everyone who tries it ends up taking several bottles home with them. I'm also going to have to buy more bottles.

ordered a few more fermenters just in case..

Well I just joined the group (gang, obsession, cult) of Apfelwein. I tries to read all 5000 + posts before I made my first batch but only made it to about 4000. I am sure I will make it through by the time (2 weeks from now or when my better bottle gets in) I put up the second batch. The only question I have is my house is usually around 78-80 in the summer will there be any problems with that?

Storm

I just kegged my latest batch. It's been in the fermenter since mid-January, and I've done nothing with it. So far as I can tell, there were no ill effects from bulk aging it on the lees. It's crystal clear and will be ready to drink as soon as it's chilled and carbonated.

Well I just joined the group (gang, obsession, cult) of Apfelwein. I tries to read all 5000 + posts before I made my first batch but only made it to about 4000. I am sure I will make it through by the time (2 weeks from now or when my better bottle gets in) I put up the second batch. The only question I have is my house is usually around 78-80 in the summer will there be any problems with that?

Storm

That's the same temp. my house is at & I love how my Apfelwein batches turn out. Just make sure to give it enough time to clear before you bottle or keg it.

last friday i tried this.....

ended up only buying 1/2 the amount of apple juice i needed (stupid mistake)....

i didn't want it to stop me from trying it, so i followed the instructions. used approximately guesstimated a pound of dextrose and i probably pitched closer to 70% of the yeast.

did i pitch too much yeast? i'm noticing the cloudiness, but i don't think i've stood their long enough to see any activity in the airlock.

i guess i'll find out in a few weeks what's up.

should this still turn out ok?

You can never have too much yeast .. LOL But seriously the cloudiness is supposed to be there, mine's pushing it's 3rd week and now just starting to clear.. You should see some action after one day..

I tried this last month with a small 2 gallon batch in a Mr. Beer keg, of all things. Since I lacked the necessary ingredients and the LHBS was closed, I ended up with the following:

2 gallons of cheap Apple Juice (Mott's, I think, in 1/2 gallon jugs).
0.8 lbs of table sugar.
Some random ale yeast I had lying around (I forgot which one because I frankly didn't care, I just wanted to see how the fermentation worked on this).

Results: Took almost 2 days before there was any sign of fermentation, but when it fired up, it fired up huge and stayed cloudy and bubbling for almost 10 days. Clarified on its own after 3 weeks. I bottled it after another week to let it settle a bit more, which worked almost too well. I think the juice from concentrate let it clear up almost too much, the end result was almost crystal clear, just a slight hint of apple coloring. Final ABV was approximately 8.5%, which tells me that that was some damn good ale yeast and means I need to find out which one I actually used. ;)

Bottled half of it into two 64 oz growlers for a party that night, the rest into normal bottles with some priming sugar, to see how carbonation works. Haven't tried the latter, but the flat stuff was basically the hit of the party. Very dry taste, with only a hint of apples. It did not taste like cider in the slightest, which surprised me having used both apple juice and table sugar in the darned thing... Everybody was a big fan and all the girls pressured me to make some more. Can't ignore the women folk, eh? :D

So I went to the store today, got some dextrose and Red Star Champagne yeast, along with 5 gallons of juice. Got 3 gallons of non-concentrate juice, and 2 gallons of juice from concentrate, with the idea here being to mix the two and produce something with slightly more color but not very cloudy, as such. The non-concentrate juice is cloudy in and of itself, the concentrate juice is super clear by comparison.

Should turn out good, I think.

The only question I have is my house is usually around 78-80 in the summer will there be any problems with that?

Storm

Montrachet will ferment fine up to 95F so you're good.

Question for everyone else - how do you prefer your Apfelwein? Still and room temp.? Carbed and cold? All my previous ones have been carbed, is it just as good still at room temp.? I think it would look nice in a couple wine bottles.

Also, I know almost nothing on winemaking, but if I'm going to put this in some wine bottles, does it need to be de-gassed if I let it bulk age for a few months?

if I'm going to put this in some wine bottles, does it need to be de-gassed if I let it bulk age for a few months?
i bet some champagne bottles would be great, i had a friend bring me some sparkling cider from New Hampshire, it was in a champagne bottle

Just make sure to give it enough time to clear before you bottle or keg it.
and if you dont????you'll die??? mine was a lil foggy when i kegged it, it tastes and smells fine, but!...i put somje from the keg into a 22oz bottle and capped it and gacve it to a co-worker, he said it smelled terrible..must been the yeast still working?

I just sampled some apfelwein that I made a little over a year ago, and I must say that it is definitely a different animal at this age. A lot smoother, less acidic, and more apple-y tasting. Thanks again, Ed!

-Steve

I just sampled some apfelwein that I made a little over a year ago, and I must say that it is definitely a different animal at this age. A lot smoother, less acidic, and more apple-y tasting. Thanks again, Ed!

-Steve

Cool! Patience pays off again!

I had my first apfelwein experience tonight. I brought a 1/2 gallon growler to a gathering and a friend of mine drank the whole thing by himself (along with about 8 brews). Needless to say he was blowing chunks in the backyard by the end of the night, but damn was he living the dream before that! Thanks Ed. I'll be making more of this stuff no doubt.

I found this recipe online when I was doing some research for my trip to Germany. After getting back from Germany and discovering that A) Beer really is cheaper then water :drunk: and B) Apfelwein is awesome I had no reason to whip up a batch of this myself!

I kind of varied the recipe a bit to make because to make use of what was available to me. The final product looked like this:

12L Sun Rype Pure Apple Juice w/ Vit C added (not from Concentrate)
3L Costco brand Cranberry Cocktail (Ing: Cranberry Juice, Sugar and Vit C)
500g of Dextrose Sugar
1 cup of Thompson Raisins
1 packet of D-47 Wine Yeast (Homebrew stores around here rarely have a good selection of... Though I wonder if I should have used the Champagne or Coopers Ale yeasts I had instead).
The carboy was a little empty for my liking so I topped it off with 1L of distilled water.

Topped the bung with gin (no vodka available in my house :p)

I really have no idea if it will work out or not, but at the cost of $20 CDN and an hour of my time to make it, if its a failure its not such a huge loss as with beer.

Made mine on 5/1 and now it's pretty clear. Planning to rack into a keg and let sit some more and use the primary to start a new batch. You think two months, drink on 7/1 would be sufficient? Be cool to have this stuff ready to go by July 4th.

Quick update (I know its about been about 2 days):

The first day it appeared that the yeast was only interested in the raisins, completely covering them. Now that they have all floated to the top, the fermentation seems to have taken off and my bung is bubbling away furiously. I am anticipating the awful smells to begin shortly...

Back