Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I had about a glass left over from bottling today.(finally got around to bottling) I didn't like it at first. then I put it in the fridge, went put and got some sprite to and came back.

Man I love Apfelwein.
It is great with the sprite. I cant wait till it carbs and ages a Little. I'm making another batch next week.

I was wondering about the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Do people avoid it like with beer. There wasn't very much on the bottom with mine and I didn't bother trying to leave it in the bottle and really didn't notice any taste difference. Just wondering what others thoughts were on this.

1. I only have a 6 gallon Better Bottles. Do you think a 5 gallon batch would work fine in a 6 gallon BB? Should I scale the recipe up, or just do a 5 gallon batch in a 6 galon BB? I would prefer a 5 gallon batch, what is your take?

2. Yeast nutrient? I see this is a somewhat debateable topic. Have you tried it with yeast nutrient? Have you heard any experiments/tests using yeast nutrient vs. none?

3. I plan to prime a portion of the batch for natural carbonation. I see the recipe lists 3/4 cup of corn sugar for 5 gallons. I typically carb my individual bottles for beer, I am assuming the same sugar dose for beer should work fine if I am at <=.999 FG w/ Red Star Mon Yeast. Does this sound okay?

4. Has anyone made a succesful "sweeter" and/or less dry of this recipe? What yeast did you use?

5. I would like to read some feedback from others that have tried this recipe with Ale yeast.

Thanks.

1. I only have a 6 gallon Better Bottles. Do you think a 5 gallon batch would work fine in a 6 gallon BB? Should I scale the recipe up, or just do a 5 gallon batch in a 6 galon BB? I would prefer a 5 gallon batch, what is your take?

2. Yeast nutrient? I see this is a somewhat debateable topic. Have you tried it with yeast nutrient? Have you heard any experiments/tests using yeast nutrient vs. none?

3. I plan to prime a portion of the batch for natural carbonation. I see the recipe lists 3/4 cup of corn sugar for 5 gallons. I typically carb my individual bottles for beer, I am assuming the same sugar dose for beer should work fine if I am at <=.999 FG w/ Red Star Mon Yeast. Does this sound okay?

4. Has anyone made a succesful "sweeter" and/or less dry of this recipe? What yeast did you use?

5. I would like to read some feedback from others that have tried this recipe with Ale yeast.

Thanks.

I've done 1 batch and am coming close to bottling a second. I used 6g better bottles for both, works fine. You could just scale the recipe up to 6 gallons...

My latest batch I used a small amount of nutrient, but I haven't tasted it yet. I did notice it fermented out and cleared incredibly quickly, but I did use a different brand of apple juice from my first batch.

I carbonated naturally with the standard 1 ounce/gallon corn sugar. I'm still new to home brewing, but I can tell you no matter what kind of yeast it is, it will eat corn sugar/priming sugar.

I was wondering about the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Do people avoid it like with beer. There wasn't very much on the bottom with mine and I didn't bother trying to leave it in the bottle and really didn't notice any taste difference. Just wondering what others thoughts were on this.

I've had varied experience on this. Just tasting my first batch now, and sometimes if the yeast gets in the glass it's fine, but at least once it imparted a (lack of better word) "barfy" flavor. I think if it's cold enough it goes down just fine.

Made my first batch last night, just went down to check on it and my downstairs bathroom now smells of apples. Its almost mesmerizing to watch, looks carbonated and fizzy already. Can't wait to get it in the glass.

Here's a little tribute to Ed...

iDRINK the robot (won best of show) at my college engineering dept. robot show a few days ago, pouring the perfect Apfelwein / Cranberry Juice mixer:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFqmJucUtEA]YouTube - iDRINK (Finished ver.)[/ame]

Cheers! :mug:

iDRINK the robot (won best of show) at my college engineering dept. robot show a few days ago, pouring the perfect Apfelwein / Cranberry Juice mixer:

Nice! Very cool robot. Can it do other drinks? Now you just need a pair of robots on each side to put on fresh glasses and take off full ones, and you'll have your very own automated bartender. I want one :rockin:

Question:
Will "natural style" apple juice (between a cider and apple juice in color and body) take longer to clear than your typical golden colored apple juice?

Bottled up my Apfelwein from 2/22 finally. The bottle with a cap on the left is carbonated, the bottle with a cork on the right is still. I took the last 3/4 beer bottle and made a few experiments in the refrigerator right now. I mixed 1 oz hard cranberry cider with 5 oz apfelwein in one cup. I mixed 2 oz cranberry cider with 4 oz of apfelwein in another cup. Let's see how those taste later tonight as well as straight apfelwein in a third cup.

apfelwein.jpg

Man, I love Apfelwein.

Sorry I tried to sit and read the majority of pages here in this thread, but I can't. I have one question in regards to apple juice that people are using. I saw in Wallyworld that they have the TreeTop Apple juice but it's from concentrate is that stuff ok, or do I need to search for 100% pressed apple juice?

Sorry I tried to sit and read the majority of pages here in this thread, but I can't. I have one question in regards to apple juice that people are using. I saw in Wallyworld that they have the TreeTop Apple juice but it's from concentrate is that stuff ok, or do I need to search for 100% pressed apple juice?
TreeTop is fine, I use Wallyworld brand and it turns out great.

If the juice was cloudy to start with you need 1 tsp per gallon of pectic enzyme to clear it. Rack to a secondary and stir in the pectic enzyme, give it a week. Since you will have to rack might as well add some finings like gelatin or bentonite while you are at it, it should drop clear within a week and you can bottle.

Wow, very cool. Thanks for sharing. When can I expect them available for purchase at k-mart? :D

I'd like to try this, and the sooner the better. Say I didn't want to make the 2 hour round trip to local home brew supply place, nor wait on mail order ...
I have a pack a dry Munton's brewing yeast that came with an ale kit, and I have a pound of DME.

How do you think that would do?

Would that yeast be okay?

Would that DME be okay?

What would I need to do outside of that, to compensate for not having 2 pounds of dextrose?

This seems like good stuff to take on my beach vacation coming up this summer, served over ice...

I'd like to try this, and the sooner the better. Say I didn't want to make the 2 hour round trip to local home brew supply place, nor wait on mail order ...
I have a pack a dry Munton's brewing yeast that came with an ale kit, and I have a pound of DME.

How do you think that would do?

Would that yeast be okay?

Would that DME be okay?

What would I need to do outside of that, to compensate for not having 2 pounds of dextrose?

This seems like good stuff to take on my beach vacation coming up this summer, served over ice...

The ale yeast will probably leave it quite sweet, but others seem to have enjoyed it this way. However I would leave out the DME - it contains non fermentable sugars which would probably contribute an unwanted taste to your apfel. You're better off using table sugar than DME

Has anyone done a shot with the leftover vodka from the airlock?

Do let us know how you like it :mug: All the alcohol will probably have evaporated by now though

If the juice was cloudy to start with you need 1 tsp per gallon of pectic enzyme to clear it. Rack to a secondary and stir in the pectic enzyme, give it a week. Since you will have to rack might as well add some finings like gelatin or bentonite while you are at it, it should drop clear within a week and you can bottle.

Will this wreak havoc if I want to carbonate?

I'm thinking of making my 2nd batch in a Sanke keg. I figure 15 gallons should last a while. Has anyone done this? Would I need 3 packets of Montrachet yeast?:tank:

Hey guys -

Getting ready to fire up a couple 5 gallon batches, but I have a question.

I know the original recipe calls for apple cider/juice with no preservatives, but the store I work at just placed 1/2 gallons of honeycrisp and fuji apple cider on sale for 99 cent, but the label says it contains potassium sorbate to preserve freshness.

The label also says that the cider must be refrigerated, which isn't necessary for any of the other pasteurized cider we sell.

So, in short.. will the potassium sorbate wreck my batch and is the refrigeration thing just a bunch of baloney?

Hey guys -

Getting ready to fire up a couple 5 gallon batches, but I have a question.

I know the original recipe calls for apple cider/juice with no preservatives, but the store I work at just placed 1/2 gallons of honeycrisp and fuji apple cider on sale for 99 cent, but the label says it contains potassium sorbate to preserve freshness.

The label also says that the cider must be refrigerated, which isn't necessary for any of the other pasteurized cider we sell.

So, in short.. will the potassium sorbate wreck my batch and is the refrigeration thing just a bunch of baloney?

Potassium sorbate will prevent your yeast from reproducing. So, unless you have a ton of yeast on hand to continuously add to the batch over the next month or so, it's not a tolerable ingredient. Sorry.

Thanks Saccharomyces. Gotta get the ingredients together.:rockin: I think I'll let this big batch sit 5-6 months before bottling.:ban: Will there be any problem sitting on the yeast that long or should I rack it after a few months?

Thanks Saccharomyces. Gotta get the ingredients together.:rockin: I think I'll let this big batch sit 5-6 months before bottling.:ban: Will there be any problem sitting on the yeast that long or should I rack it after a few months?

You'll need to rack it at least once. After three months it will start to get soapy from autolysis.

So this is my second brewing adventure. My a-wein has been going for about three weeks and I just got a hydrometer. I am just wondering if checking the gravity would lead to any bacterial problems since I would be opening the heretofor sealed carboy. The waiting truly is the hardest part. I have some starsan and am pretty sure I am sanitary to this point. Just wanting to see if my sugars are used up yet.

BrewPigSooie, if you read back on the very first page of the thread, you'll see that you pretty much gotta wait the full 8 weeks before it'll clear and begin to taste good. Opening up the carboy to take an unnecessary reading at this point simply invites problems.

Relax, mang. This is the simplest possible recipe - thousands of gallons have been made before yours, and thousands more will be made after you pee out the last drop of your batch!

Back