Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have posted that I do wash (er, rinse) my bottles. I triple rinse them as soon as they are done and hang them on a bottle tree to dry. Then sanitize them of course prior to filling. I do not however, wash them out (on the inside) with oxy or any other cleaner so maybe thats why? I do rinse them really well though (I feel). They say the beer taste is very light and not bad, just noticeable, and not in every bottle. So maybe it is the rinse. I thought I may have some transfer from the auto siphon as it is plastic and the tubing vinyl.

oh SNAP! I just started a batch with the hopes of 1 month fermenting, and 1 month in the bottle to serve up at a fly fishing gathering! Will it suck @ only 1 month in the bottle? or will my stomp drinking friends like it?

I have poured a glass straight from the carboy, while bottling. It tasted pretty good.

It does taste better as time goes on. But definantly drinkable after a month.

Okay, I may have screwed up... MY 100% Apple Juice has calcium lactate added...

Is this really a concern? Will my friends still drink it????

Hey guys, I am a big noob...and just trying to get a feel before I brew my first batch. After reading EVERYTHING...yes all the posts..I have this question...

Why does Apfelvein not need any sulfites/campden to kill of the yeast and preserve the wine?

I am sure some people use them....but why not in the main recipe..im sure their is a reason...

THANKS!

Hey guys, I am a big noob...and just trying to get a feel before I brew my first batch. After reading EVERYTHING...yes all the posts..I have this question...

Why does Apfelvein not need any sulfites/campden to kill of the yeast and preserve the wine?

I am sure some people use them....but why not in the main recipe..im sure their is a reason...

THANKS!

Pre-ser-va-shun..? :drunk:

JK, even wine doesn't need preservatives. They are there to just restrict the yeast. (though they are also used to kill off some bacteria before fermentation as sulfites will dissipate out the air lock over 24 to 48 hours).

If you want to back sweeten and you are not carbing then you can use sorbate or sulfite. Though sorbate works better at actually killing yeast.

Has any one used wyeast Rudesheimer? my LHBS doesn't carry Montrachet, they have the Lalvin yeast people have been using so i may try that for my first batch i aso think i read someone used a weizen yeast with good results. i'd just like to know a little bit more about other yeasts before i decide on one.

I thought I was done with this thread when I stuck a keg of Apfelwin in storage thinking it wasn't for me. That was back in late September. Well, the cellar time took every objectionable characteristic out of this stuff, and I am now a believer! I just pulled a glass and it's VERY good! Deadly good. If any ofyou guys can age the stuff, I highly recommend it.

Thanks Ed.
KD

I'm curious - we are adding dextrose to increase the OG and therefore the alcohol content, but theoretically this is dilluting the "appleness" of the drink. Is there any practical way of concentrating the juice to bring up the OG "naturally"? I was thinking about boiling it down but that would likely also destroy all the apple flavor.

This may be mostly an academic question since this stuff is so easy to make any extra steps would be quite unnecessary, but I was curious what other people's thoughts were...

I'm curious - we are adding dextrose to increase the OG and therefore the alcohol content, but theoretically this is dilluting the "appleness" of the drink. Is there any practical way of concentrating the juice to bring up the OG "naturally"? I was thinking about boiling it down but that would likely also destroy all the apple flavor.

This may be mostly an academic question since this stuff is so easy to make any extra steps would be quite unnecessary, but I was curious what other people's thoughts were...

Add a few pounds of clover honey to it. You'll get some nice apfel-cyser!

making grog out of this is outstandingly good!

24 oz Apfelwein
~2 tblsp sugar
a stick of cinnamon
simmer in a sauce pan

sprinkle some rum in

its great!

I'm down to 1.010 from 1.066 on 2/22/09. Clearing up. A bit fizzy/bubbly. Very good tasting, dry but a bunch of apple flavor still. I followed the recipe to a T but used montrachet and yeast energizer. How am I doing?

Maybe add some apple juice concentrate? I don't know if that's got extra stuff in it that's not good for the apfelwein. But, I suppose that's been boiled down to get it in concentrate form. I'm sure it's been covered in this thread before, but I didn't do a search :D

I use Seneca concentrate and I love it. I typically make a 5 gallon batch and add two cans of concentrate. I have no idea what it tastes like at the 6 month period. It never lasts that long. I also carb with 1 can of concentrate. Its a little risky as its more sugar than needed, but I've had no bombs yet. The trick here is to make sure you don't bottle too early I would think.

Made mine today, used Members Mark Juice from Sams club, hope its ok, had nothing added but ascorbic acid or whatever. I put in just over 2 lbs of corn sugar. The bottles I got were 3 qt instead of 4 so I ended up with extra, by the time I pitched my yeast I had apfelwine up in the neck of my carboy so I sure as hell hope this forms no kreusen or else im going to have a mess in the pantry!

I didn't tell anyone I made it so I am waiting for it to start fermenting so I can hear the ole "What Stinks?!?!"

I am thinkin about trying one of these but instead of 2lbs of corn sugar I wanted to try boiling about 1qt of water with honey, 1lb corn sugar, and a couple cinamon sticks then add that to the apple juice before pitching. Any thoughts?

Made mine today, used Members Mark Juice from Sams club, hope its ok, had nothing added but ascorbic acid or whatever. I put in just over 2 lbs of corn sugar. The bottles I got were 3 qt instead of 4 so I ended up with extra, by the time I pitched my yeast I had apfelwine up in the neck of my carboy so I sure as hell hope this forms no kreusen or else im going to have a mess in the pantry

I use the Sam's Club juice for mine.

It will foam up a little bit, you may end up cleaning up the airlock a few times. If you have a baster you may want to sanitize it and use it to slurp some out to create a little head space.

You could, but most folks drink it so fast the preservative effects aren't needed. And since it's usually carbed there is less of an issue with oxidation than with still wines.

You could, but most folks drink it so fast the preservative effects aren't needed. And since it's usually carbed there is less of an issue with oxidation than with still wines.

Any suggestions for someone who wanted to age some for up to say 18 months?

Yes. Might wanna yeast that eats it up though. http://www.lalvinyeast.com/images/library/71B_Yeast.pdf

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/71B.asp

71B.jpg

FYI - I have made several batches cider. (As I hiccup) Hic...
  • Monty (5 or more)
  • Cotes (3 or more)
  • Mr Beer Cider (+1 = No gaffs Please)
  • Premier Cuvee - GD!
I am drinking Premier Cuvee....... OMFG>>>>AWESOME!!!!

Clear as could be and super clean. GD Its FG!!!! :D

Hic, Time for (hic) another glass (hic) (mother f***, (Hic))

$hit I forgot... Did I tell you Premier Cuvee is AWESOME???

Just thought you should know.... (Orgasmic Spasm is over...)

does any1 know if vitafit apple juice will be ok and how much it costs im trying to price up for 5 gallons this stuff looks great just awaiting my yeast in the post then am off for some juice in a taxi

so what day is this apple feeny supposed to smell like fart on? While its bubbling? Or after a few weeks? Im on day 2 and heavy bubbling, no smell of it yet

If you are in Canada. I found the BEST apple juice that is widely available fog cider or Apfelwein.

It's from The great Canadian Superstore (or extra foods, which they own).

"Presidents Choice Natural Apple Juice. Unfiltered Not from Concentrate."

I don't know what blend of apples they use but it is just about perfect. I think it was $2.69 for 1.89L at Superstore and $3.39 at Extra foods.

If you are in Canada. I found the BEST apple juice that is widely available fog cider or Apfelwein.

I don't know what blend of apples they use but it is just about perfect. I think it was $2.69 for 1.89L at Superstore and $3.39 at Extra foods.

I'll look for that the next time i'm in there, but i'm usually cheap.....so i usually end up buying juice when it goes on sale at $.95 for the 1.2L cans.....:D But might do up a 3gallon batch to see any difference. :mug:

You can also find it in the states at any store owned by supervalue.

So my first batch got bottled tonight everything went smooth and it tasted pretty darn good already.. Only problem is that i forgot to take an OG reading. I used 5 gallons Safeway Brand Apple Juice and 2 lbs. dextrose just like the orig recipe calls for, could somebody please give me an estimated starting gravity so I can figure out how potent this stuff is? thanks!

Hey guys ... a little help please. I wanna start by saying that I did not read through all 473 pages. I have a few questions ...

1. If you are planning on bottling still, should you degas? If I don't degas will it be okay to bottle and cork in regular wine bottles?

2. I read a few pages back about preserving the wine and killing off the yeast, is this necessary for extended aging ... say like a year or so?

3. If Im going to carb up some, I don't need to worry about any of that right?

I started a 5 gallon batch of this just over 4 weeks ago (using montrachet) and it just started to clear up. My hydrometer sample read about 1.000 so I think it's about done, and it tasted great! Like white wine, but I actually liked the taste (I usually dislike white wines). I can't wait for it to be carbonated!

Next up I think is going to be some of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale.

Back