malty red ale recipe critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Howdy fellow brewers! I am trying to brew a beer for my brother who loves red ales, especially malty ones with a decent hop presence. He enjoys Deschutes Cinder Cone, yet would like it with more malt character and body. I took a Cinder Cone Clone recipe and changed the base from American 2-row to English Pale and tweaked the specialty grains a bit. I kept the Cinder Cone hops schedule. Whatcha think?

Brewer: Tim Livingston Email: -
Beer: Cinder Clone Style: American Red Ale
Type: All grain Size: 5.25 gallons
Color:
19 HCU (~11 SRM)
Bitterness: 42 IBU
OG: 1.055 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 5.5% v/v (4.3% w/w)
Grain:
10 lb. British Pale
8 oz. British Carastan
6 oz. British crystal 70-80L
1 oz. Roasted barley

Mash:154 70% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.044 6.5 gallons
Hops: .5 oz. Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 30 min.)
.25 oz. Amarillo (9% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 20 min.)
.5 oz. Amarillo (9% AA, 20 min.)
.5 oz. Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 10 min.)
.5 oz. Amarillo (9% AA, 10 min.)

Yeast: Pacman or American ale? or English?

Hey Blender- How's Santa Cruz? I grew up there-moved to Portland in 2000. I miss the bay. Anyway, regarding the mash and yeast: mash at 154 for 60min. Yeast: I have Pacman and American(1056) ale yeasts ready to go. I was leaning towards the Pacman just for the nuance -its pretty similar to 1056 anyway. I considered an English ale yeast too, so that part is still up in the air.

I love my home here, today it's 60 degrees, clear with a nice breeze. I'm hoping this is a good hop growing area with our temps. I was thinking British or Irish yeast for the malt character. Of the 2 you mentioned I would go with the Pacman.

Back