Malty beer styles for a hop head to try...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
I am a hophead of the first order, I just really like bitter, hoppy beers, but I would like to try some malt forward beers. Looking for input from the collective knowledge here on beers that might be worth a look.

TIA for any input.

Lon

A good transition could be something like an English (Yorkshire) bitter. Pretty dry and bitter and hoppy as you are probably used to, but not as much of that and with a more pronounced malty back bone than American pale and IPA. Look out for Black Sheep ale, Timothy Taylor ( landlord and boltmaker) and Samuel Smith Oraganic Pale if you can get it. Then maybe work your way up to czech dark lagers, brown ales and finally porter/stout

English Bitters - most have a fine balance between malt, hops and yeast character
Red Ales - usually malt forward, some backed up by a gentle bitterness
Dark Weizenbocks
Doppelbocks
If you like Belgian beer, you can try some Belgian Dubbels, Quads, Belgian Dark Strong
Anything Stout, Porter, Brown, Barleywine

English Porters, stouts, and browns. You'll discover a whole new world of beer. Just expect DIFFERENT. Coke and Seven Up are both sodas, but they're completely different tastes. Enjoy the variety!

You're in for a real treat. The world of maltiness is a wonderful place to explore. I have so many recommendations it's not even funny.

So a few quick ones and then a great resource to explore on your own time.

Light/pale
-Duvel
-Rothaus Pilsner
-König Pilsner
-Benediktiner Helles
-Früh Kölsch
-Bayern Dancing Trout
-Firestone Walker 805
-Weihenstephaner Original
-Boulevard Tank 7
-Saison Dupont

Amber/Brown
-Big Sky Moose Drool
-Alaskan Amber
-Boddingtons (probably a bit lighter than this category)
-Newcastle
-Smithwicks (a red)
-Sam Adams Boston Lager, yeah go ahead and hate, but you know it's good
-Anchor Steam
-Smuttynose Old Brown Dog
-Ayinger/Paulaner Märzen

Porter/Stout/Dark
-Deschutes Black Butte
-Guiness (does this even need to be mentioned?)
-Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
-Founder's (just pick one, any one))
-Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter
-North Coast Old Rasputin
-Köstritzer Schwarzbier

Others
-Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
-Any Trappist Ale (Chimay, Rochefort, Orval, etc)
-Southern Tier Pumpking
-Lindemans Framboise
-Duchesse de Bourgogne
-Anything from Propolis

Then browse through the styles and their descriptions in the BJCP guidelines to see what sounds good, then look through the commercial examples to get some great choices.

https://www.bjcp.org/bjcp-style-guidelines/

Back