Malts likely to help hops pop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude1

Reaction score
I had a contact with a brewer who's been running a brew pub for about 10 years and asked him what he did to make one of his IPAs pop so much in terms of hops and if he worked on his water.

He answered his water was already quite hard, so he does not modify it, but "Caraamber and Melanoidin worked positive on this".

I have to say, I was quite surprised by this answer, but I trust him, he is the kind who tries new things all the time and gets awarded.

Is any of these two malts likely to improve how hops pop?

Thanks

Melanoidin helps hops pop? hahahaha ok. My opinion is you got a dose of rectal sunshine or he honestly doesn't have a clue.

Water chemistry is the first thing to think about. Chloride/Sulfate levels and ratio.

Water treatment with lots gypsum vs lower chloride ratios will help make the hops pop, and plenty of co2 of it's a traditional West Cost IPA.

As for malts, you're off best staying with all base malts such as Pilsner or regular 2-row to emphasize hops.

Back