Maltodextrin in Hazy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simcoepirate

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to brew a mid-strength New England Style IPA, and thinking of ways to improve body/mouthfeel. My recipe already includes a lot of oats but I’ve also noticed one of my local breweries uses Maltodextrin for body from time to time so was wondering if it was worth a shot…

Batch size 23 litres
Fermentables:
4.8kg Bohemian Pilsner (68%)
1.28kg Malted Oats (18.2%)
0.68kg Flaked Oats (9.8%)

Fermenting with Verdant Ale Yeast

Hops, for what it’s worth:
5g CTZ FWH
15g Citra Incognito Whirlpool
30g Mosaic Whirlpool

Dry hop with 2:1 Mosaic and Citra; 16g/l, with maybe a small amount of Ekuanot for good measure since I have some spare.

OG 1.061
FG 1.016
ABV 6%

Including 290g of Maltodextrin will change the gravity calcs to:
OG 1.065
FG 1.019

Does anyone have any experience/opinions on including Maltodextrin in these sorts of beers?
How about the impact on gravity? Is 1.019 considered a little high for a 6% beer?

Cheers!

fwiw, I have brewed around 400 gallons of ~75 point neipas primarily using LA3 strains which typically do finish in the ~16 point range and honestly never felt they lacked for body. If you have a way to do it, you might split the batch and add maltodextrin to half your batch to compare the difference...

Cheers!

fwiw, I have brewed around 400 gallons of ~75 point neipas primarily using LA3 strains which typically do finish in the ~16 point range and honestly never felt they lacked for body. If you have a way to do it, you might split the batch and add maltodextrin to half your batch to compare the difference...

Cheers!
Yeah it’s probably overkill, just have some Maltodextrin in the cupboard that I haven’t used yet. Maybe it’s better suited in a stout or something.

I currently ferment in a 7gal uni that’s always destined for a single keg so don’t really have the means to split batches at the moment unfortunately… Need to expand my equipment so I can get more experimental!

Cheers!

Back