malting wheat (wheat berries)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moses1

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience malting wheat at home? I have a cheap local source of wheat berries, and as long as it's not rocket science I was hoping to give it a go. Does the process differ much from malting barley? Should I look into what variety the wheat is or is one kind of wheat as good as any other? Thanks.

Probably more important than variety is what class the wheat is. Looking at where you are from, I assume you are getting the wheat from either one of the terminals or the grain commission.
Wheat has 8 classes of Western wheat (if where I said your are getting it from, then that is what it will be). I am thinking that all the classes COULD be malted, but I am thinking that Red Spring and White Spring would probably be the best bet.

Thanks for the reply. The wheat is actually locally grown here in Northern Ontario. The varieties grown are Superb (Western) and Sable (Eastern), both of which are hard red spring. I suppose I will start the trial and error process with small batches, unless I can find some more information. I think I might re-start this thread on the general forum for more traffic.

Latest posts

Back