Malting my own barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobsers

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I am new to brewing but decided to try my hand at malting. After all that drying and kilning, my first batch. about 5 pds, still smells grassy. I did have good germination rate and growth seemed normal. I went to the local brew supply to try a sniff if their pale base malt and could not smell any grassy aroma. Have I done something wrong?
Best regards, Bob

After the grain was sprouted and dried did you remove all the sprouts?

bosco

Check this video out;

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the best job that I could removing rootlets with a plastic sieve, although I think a stainless steel sieve will work better. I built a kiln almost the same as that guy but bigger and using a heat lamp instead of regular bulbs. my finished malt looks pretty clean.

I use the same winnowing method with good effect.

I have gotten a grassy effect before and mine wasn't from the rootlets but rather because I didn't dry enough and the sprouts were still attached and moist. Check that your drying it thoroughly enough. Best way to tell is to crunch on some. If they squish they are too moist.

Back