Malting Hemp Seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is open on one condition: the discussion MUST NOT delve into psychoactive effects and illicit activity (and yes, marijuana is still illegal under US federal law, where this site is hosted). This is not up for debate.

The seeds you find at the specialty stores are dried to the point that they my not sprout, I really doubt that you will get your desired results

*Hemp seeds sold in the United States have been heat sterilized*

I have a friend with a hemp farm that has a plethora of fresh seeds, and he's trying to offload them on me. Do you think these would work? Or maybe a cereal mash?

I don't know where Ohia is. Is that Canada? Hemp seeds in the US have been sterilized. They are also not allowed to be grown here, at the current moment.

The issue I would see is the oiliness of them. Other than that, there would be a pretty high protein/starch ratio. Maybe there are starch optimized strains. You need to ascertain the diastatic power of the malt. A cereal mash would work, but again the oiliness.

Ask the Hemp Ale brewers.

I don't think this is what you're looking for, but may contribute in some way. Hemp seed is apparently very good for you. Bobs Red Mill has some that I wanted to use in a gluten free beer (I think it was in their GF section), but it's expensive as hell.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/hulled-hemp-seed.html

Southern Ohio folk often pronounce it like "Ohia,," so it's a joke really. I think I'll have to try this with a cereal mash, I'll keep you updated.

I don't know where Ohia is. Is that Canada? Hemp seeds in the US have been sterilized. They are also not allowed to be grown here, at the current moment.

Ask the Hemp Ale brewers.

Actually, you are incorrect. My home state of ND legalized hemp cultivation in '07. Our neighbors to the north in Winnipeg, Manitoba also grow it. As you said however, the oil issue would preclude it's use in brewing.

I have a friend with a hemp farm that has a plethora of fresh seeds, and he's trying to offload them on me. Do you think these would work? Or maybe a cereal mash?

Maybe you could e-mail one of the breweries that make hemp ale and ask them what stage its added. They may wait to add it in the secondary. :mug:

bumping an old thread

did you ever figure out how to proceed with this or hear back from Humboldt Brewing co?

id like to try to replicate a hemp porter

i emailed a brewery that has a couple of hemp ales

they advised using hulled hemp seeds to avoid extracting tannins from the hulls

sup y'all
I want to grow hemp and if I could malt it then maybe I could make a truly homegrown homebrew!
Hemp is legal to grow in several US States and I think marijuana is up to like 7 now, isn't it?
Anyway the reason I'm bumping this thread is because I found this helpful chart on how to extract malts from grain (see attached).
Regards

malts.jpg

Anyway the reason I'm bumping this thread is because I found this helpful chart on how to extract malts from grain (see attached).

Just thought I'd point out that this chart assumes that you're starting with malt, not raw grains. Confusing labeling on their part.

Very cool that you're going for it. Have you tried malting hemp yet?

Just thought I'd point out that this chart assumes that you're starting with malt, not raw grains. Confusing labeling on their part.

Very cool that you're going for it. Have you tried malting hemp yet?

Thanks for pointing out the shortcoming of the chart!! I haven't malted anything yet, but I want to grow some barley and malt that! Seems like a better starting point than HEMP

I understand one would have to germinate and roast the seeds. The biggest challenge for the would-be maltster in the U.S. market is finding viable hemp seeds. I think it's been mentioned that the ones they import from Canada have been irradiated.

not sure why you would do this---unless you are making some sort of gluten free "beer". Otherwise grind them up and add them to your mash. Any starches will convert with 2 row or 6 row barley malt.

Thanks for pointing out the shortcoming of the chart!! I haven't malted anything yet, but I want to grow some barley and malt that! Seems like a better starting point than HEMP

I understand one would have to germinate and roast the seeds. The biggest challenge for the would-be maltster in the U.S. market is finding viable hemp seeds. I think it's been mentioned that the ones they import from Canada have been irradiated.

To further clarify @homemaltster's comment above: the Munton's chart is showing how they make malt extract, which is basically concentrated wort in powder or liquid form. That chart has no relevance to the process of malting the grain; it's all about mashing and beyond. "Germinate and roast the seeds" is the malting part, and at the point of mashing you'd do better to look at all-grain homebrewers' processes (if you don't have any experience mashing already) than an infographic on how Munton's produces their malt extract, which includes both too much information (going beyond mashing and into concentration) and not enough information (lack of relevant details on crushing grain, mash temps, sparging, etc.) for a starting homebrewer.

Not sure about malting hemp, but there are several hemp beers out there, a couple of which are made right here in MT. Here's a link to some info you might find useful.
http://www.hempworld.com/HempBeer/html/HempBeer_Recipe.html

Be advised that while hemp seed may be legal in some countries, it may not be legal where you are. Also: If you're in the US & your state has legalized it, it's still illegal under federal law; so if you try to get it mailorder, you will likely run afoul with the feds. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to offer info.
Regards, GF.

Back