Malt substitution ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puddlethumper

Reaction score
I wasn't able to get the Crystal 90 called for in Palmer's recipe for Big Basin Amber Ale. Instead I bought the available pound of Crystal 120. To get about the same flavors/color should I cut the 120 by half (to 8 oz) or 2/3 (12 oz)?

For color - it is just simple ratio. 90/120 = 0.75 . So, you need 0.75 lbs of 120 to give the same color as 1 lbs of 90.

In terms of taste and fermentables, the close you can come to the caramel number, the closer it will taste. If the closest to 90 you can get is 120, then a half lb of 60 and a half lb of 120 would give the same color and be a closer taste then using just 120.

For color - it is just simple ratio. 90/120 = 0.75 . So, you need 0.75 lbs of 120 to give the same color as 1 lbs of 90.

In terms of taste and fermentables, the close you can come to the caramel number, the closer it will taste. If the closest to 90 you can get is 120, then a half lb of 60 and a half lb of 120 would give the same color and be a closer taste then using just 120.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back