Malt Names/Synonyms Carastan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehouse

Reaction score
My next beer will be a "Nut Brown Ale" using "Samual Smiths Nut Brown Ale" as my target. (If you have not tried this beer or have not had one lately, get in your car, drive to your local beer store right now and buy one. It's so good it might bring tears to your eyes. Check out that finish! WoW...)

I'm using a recipe (http://***********/recipe/1057.html) that calls for, among other malts, a malt called Carastan. My supplier does not list "Carastan" in their list of speciaty malts. Is there another name for this malt? My supplier also does not list my old secret weapon I used way back in the dark ages, namely good old "crystal malt". Is there a new name for this too or has it gone out of style?

I can't comment on the carastan, I'm sure someone will be able to. But I can comment on crystal. Crystal is still made in many varieties, from lighter colored 10-20L to moderate 40-80L and then darker crystal 80-120+L. Usually when I see the generic 'crystal malt' in a recipe it generally means the mid-range crystal malt 40-80L. Also the crystal malt maybe referred to as caramel malt with similar Lovibond ratings.

EDIT: I found this about carastan:

Carastan - A British malt similar to American or Belgian crystal malts. 30L

On this website linked from a google search: http://www.brew-monkey.com/brewschool/maltguide.php

I just drank a Sam Smith's Nut Brown last week and it is very good. The recipe you link to though is probably not quite the same as Sams. I am pretty sure they don't use a Cali Ale yeast and they probably use some British hops instead of Willamette.

Blender said:
I just drank a Sam Smith's Nut Brown last week and it is very good. The recipe you link to though is probably not quite the same as Sams. I am pretty sure they don't use a Cali Ale yeast and they probably use some British hops instead of Willamette.

I'm pretty sure they don't use a Cali Ale yeast either (Wyest 1056). This is an American brew pub approximation and I have never tried it so don't know if it even tastes like SS Nut Brown Ale. I agree on the hops too.

Back