Malt in Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
A year and a half ago, I decided to experiment with using dry malt extract instead of sugar in kombucha........ a failed experiment. The yeasts went wild, it didn't sour properly and I ended up with a lot of cake like trub floating in the kombucha that wouldn't settle.

Now, a year and a half later, I'm repeating the experiment in a slightly different way. I made up my sweet tea, three gallons of it, and steeped crystal malt in it. I used 1 pound of crystal 60 malted barley, which for those of you who are not home brewers, is a dextrin malt. A malt with few fermentable sugars in it. It imparts a rich dark color, depending on how much is used, and a malty flavor like some dark beers. This will go into 6 gallons of kombucha ultimately. I have a 6 gallon brew bucket with about 2 gallons left in it. I'm adding this sweet tea as a concentrate (1.5 gallons of double strength sweet tea). I'll add the entire quantity. I also put Irish Moss in as a clarifying agent as I would in beer.

I'm in hopes that this will solve the issues I had the previous time and give me a nice rich malty kombucha.

H.W.

A year and a half ago, I decided to experiment with using dry malt extract instead of sugar in kombucha........ a failed experiment. The yeasts went wild, it didn't sour properly and I ended up with a lot of cake like trub floating in the kombucha that wouldn't settle.

Now, a year and a half later, I'm repeating the experiment in a slightly different way. I made up my sweet tea, three gallons of it, and steeped crystal malt in it. I used 1 pound of crystal 60 malted barley, which for those of you who are not home brewers, is a dextrin malt. A malt with few fermentable sugars in it. It imparts a rich dark color, depending on how much is used, and a malty flavor like some dark beers. This will go into 6 gallons of kombucha ultimately. I have a 6 gallon brew bucket with about 2 gallons left in it. I'm adding this sweet tea as a concentrate (1.5 gallons of double strength sweet tea). I'll add the entire quantity. I also put Irish Moss in as a clarifying agent as I would in beer.

I'm in hopes that this will solve the issues I had the previous time and give me a nice rich malty kombucha.

H.W.

I am very interested in how this turns out. Thanks for sharing, and best of luck with your brew.

Any update here? Or anyone else have success (or failures) adding steeped malt to kombucha?

I would avoid a higher malt per sugar ratio. pH as you go along - I am looking forward to updates on this

Wizard works

I would avoid a higher malt per sugar ratio. pH as you go along - I am looking forward to updates on this

Wizard works

I see you have been very active today. Why respond to a thread that was posted 4 years ago?

I can post anywhere I'd like, that's why.

Why not inform yourself on growing kombucha in the first place and not offer solutions to problems on the forums? Seems all you like to do is create problems. :)

I would be interested in the outcome of this project also... Unfortunate he never got back to it.

Is there yeast overgrowth using malt? Brewers yeast is very nutritious stuff and I assume trub mainly composed of them.

Back