Malt Extract Gone BAD???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooperu

Reaction score
I recently just brewed my first batch of an american IPA. I bought half my kit from a person off of craigslist, and the rest of my kit from a home brew mart. My reipe called for 9lbs of light malt extract. I happend to of had 6lbs from the kit i bought off of craigs list, and i got the last 3 from the brew store. When i mixed the 2, the 6 lbs of light extract came out pure black (like oil). But we continued to make the beer anyways(finished product came out realllly dark...not a typical IPA). i recently checked my hydrometer, and the yeast isnt doing much work. COuld it be because the 6 lbs out of 9lbs of extract went bad??? we brewed a second batch of the same recipe 3 days later using all 9 lbs of light malt extract from the brew mart and the color and hydrometer readings are looking great.

could that black color of the light malt extract mean it went bad?

If it is liquid malt extract that you used, which is sounds like it is, then the dark color is due to its age and storage at room temperatures or above. Liquid malt extract undergoes chemical reactions that darken its color, and these reactions happen quickly when it is stored at room temperatures or above.

The extract didn't really go bad, but it is definitely not fresh any more-- you might experience what is sometimes called extract "twang", an off-flavor associated with old liquid malt extract that has not been stored optimally.

It should still be fermentable, though. How long ago did you pitch your yeast? It can take a few days before yeast activity is visible in the beer, depending on the health of your yeast and how much you pitched.

-Steve

brewed the batch 2 weeks ago as of today(6/10/09 - 6/24/09). The original SG reading was 1.05, and as or right now its at 1.026. yeah yeah used liquid malt extract

Sounds like you have an additional problem with batch one, AKA stuck ferment. You might consider once the second batch is done, racking the first batch onto the yeast cake from the second batch.

I recently brewed a Hefe with extract that was at least 3 years old. It too was off of craigslist, as were the hops and steeping grains. I purchased the yeast and brewed away. The color came out a little darker than I would have liked, but taste wise, It seems to be fine.

Back