Malt analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
Wondering if someone could help me convert this malt analysis into beersmith? I’m not sure about potential, yield and course-fine diff. Thanks in advance.
D999D2CE-86DF-4850-A5DE-9EF2A74ECDA9.jpeg

To convert extract % to SG potential, multiply the extract potential by 0.0462 and add one. So for your 78% extract potential, the SG potential is:
0.78 * 0.0462 + 1 = 1.036​
The above is the dry basis potential. This malt has 7% moisture, which is higher than the more typical 4%. To convert dry basis to as-is basis you have to multiply the dry potential by 1 - moisture%. So the as-is SG potential of this malt is:
0.78 * (1 - 0.07) * 0.0462 + 1 = 1.0335​

I don't know whether BS corrects for dry basis or as-is basis, but not doing so can make your efficiency look lower than it actually is. My spreadsheet does correct for moisture content. My spreadsheet is not a brewing software suite, but it does a good job of predicting SG and efficiency if you know your malt data and typical conversion efficiency. It corrects for grain bill size effects, and lauter process (sparge or no-sparge.)

Brew on :mug:

Back