Making watermelon wine sometime next week.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman52

Reaction score
Hi all. I just bought 6 huge watermelons from Aldi for 3.00 a piece. Before I really start making the wine I was wanting to know if I should pitch the yeast like I do beer on my home made Maelstrom for around 24hr or don't I really need to do this. I was just thinking this would give the yeast a better start and just maybe keep it from getting any other kind of contamination before the yeast takes affect. I will be using Red Star Montrachet Yeast. Also I am not real sure if I do the starter what should I use for yeast starter ingredient as in just plain sugar?

I have not started the process as yet. But as big an the melons are I should get at least 5 gal. I hope.And thanks for the information.

Hi Again.
I read over the articles on the links. I liked what they where saying and how to do it the right way. My only problem is they keep opening the primary and stiring the fermenting juice for 7 days. To me this is a good way to get the fermenting juice contaminated.. What I was thinking I might add an air stone and air it that way for 7 days. Any thoughts on this? I am just afraid of it getting contaminated.

At some point using the air stone will oxidize the wine, which would ruin it. But, my wine making is limited to a few meads and a small Merlot kit which isn't done yet. So at least this reply bumps the thread. :fro:

Dont stir every day. It doesnt need it. Just do a thorough job stirring initially and let it ride. I just made watermelon-banana-persimmon wine kinda from this recipe and so far is going well.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/watermel.asp

I blended the persimmons and watermelon, and dumped them in. I used enough watermelons that i didnt have to top up with any water.

The only word of advice i would give is to put the bananas in a strainer bag, or they will clog the blow-off tube, and you will have pink goop up your walls. Smells great though!!

And yes I've heard that watermelon juice tends to spoil quickly, so I made a starter a day in advance to get the yeast going. for wine starters i just use a half gallon of 100% juice from grocery store add a little bit of yeast nutrient and pitch yeast directly into juice container, shake, and add a balloon airlock. Easy and cheap, balloon will let u know when yeast is taking off

Back