Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strained out these today. Had some acetone a week a go but nun now. Delicious. Thanks OP and others who contributed.

Yeh no update on the yeast ball in the wort. It's still sittin. Maybe later ill try it and update.

image-2303462409.jpg

Stevo2569 said:
Strained out these today. Had some acetone a week a go but nun now. Delicious. Thanks OP and others who contributed.

Yeh no update on the yeast ball in the wort. It's still sittin. Maybe later ill try it and update.

That resembles my bottles of rice wine. :)

image-4003661529.jpg

I'm 18 days in (very eager to reach 21) and just noticed a small amount of black growth on top of the rice. Should I just strain it now to "save" it, or is this tiny bit of growth nothing to worry about?

Stevo2569 said:
Ha ha. Great minds think alike. Was that 2-4 cup batches worth?

That was 5 cups jasmine rice. I ended up with about 42oz of wine. It was very dry and tart so I flavored/back sweetened with some berry syrup I whipped up. So after adding that I ended up with about two quarts total.

That was 5 cups jasmine rice. I ended up with about 42oz of wine. It was very dry and tart so I flavored/back sweetened with some berry syrup I whipped up. So after adding that I ended up with about two quarts total.

Which yeast are you using for these batches??

Hi, great to come upon this topic. Giving it a try. I went to a chinese store today to buy the yeast balls. Pretty crazy as the guy barely spoke English. Finally he showed me 2 balls in a packet,(ah, don't get any ideas;) that only said Dried Yeast made by Heng Lung. But it was in a box that looked like it was candy with kids on it. I asked but it wasn't though. He did show me a refrigerated bottle of something that said fermented yeast with a lot of 1/4" balls in it, not sure what it was. Anyway got the packet for .69 cents with 2 quarter size balls in it. I got sushi rice and plan on doing a 1 gallon batch. I'm confused though on the amount of rice to use. Any advice, cooked vs uncooked measurements?

Hi, great to come upon this topic. Giving it a try. I went to a chinese store today to buy the yeast balls. Pretty crazy as the guy barely spoke English. Finally he showed me 2 balls in a packet,(ah, don't get any ideas;) that only said Dried Yeast made by Heng Lung. But it was in a box that looked like it was candy with kids on it. I asked but it wasn't though. He did show me a refrigerated bottle of something that said fermented yeast with a lot of 1/4" balls in it, not sure what it was. Anyway got the packet for .69 cents with 2 quarter size balls in it. I got sushi rice and plan on doing a 1 gallon batch. I'm confused though on the amount of rice to use. Any advice, cooked vs uncooked measurements?
It took 30 cups of dry rice to fill a 5 gallon fermenter, cooked with a 2:1 ratio of water to rice. So you're probably looking at 6 cups of dry rice.

Thanks Wesley.

I am concerned about the ones that I bought. It just says "Rice balls" on the package. even in the ingredients, it doesn't say yeast anywhere on the package. Not sure what else they would be, unless they truly are just balls of dried rice that someone would "rehydrate" then maybe eat? I found them in the rice aisle in an asian food store, and looked everywhere else and didnt see anything else.

SFGiantsFan925 said:
Thanks Wesley.

I am concerned about the ones that I bought. It just says "Rice balls" on the package. even in the ingredients, it doesn't say yeast anywhere on the package. Not sure what else they would be, unless they truly are just balls of dried rice that someone would "rehydrate" then maybe eat? I found them in the rice aisle in an asian food store, and looked everywhere else and didnt see anything else.

Do you have a picture of the ones you used? The ones in the picture were the ones I bought first and worked great. I'm a little worried now that I bought a different kind. I haven't used them yet but I bought a different kind last time I was at the Asian market because it was a bigger bag. Maybe someone has used them and can put my mind at ease.

image-3609448902.jpg

The balls themselves look exactly the same but the packaging is different.

It took 30 cups of dry rice to fill a 5 gallon fermenter, cooked with a 2:1 ratio of water to rice. So you're probably looking at 6 cups of dry rice.

Thanks. Anyone try doing this with a brown rice? Not sure if sushi comes in brown but have some jasmine. Just wondering if it would work.

Do you have a picture of the ones you used? The ones in the picture were the ones I bought first and worked great. I'm a little worried now that I bought a different kind. I haven't used them yet but I bought a different kind last time I was at the Asian market because it was a bigger bag. Maybe someone has used them and can put my mind at ease.

View attachment 108857

The balls themselves look exactly the same but the packaging is different.

Those are pretty much exactly the same ones that I bought. Does it say yeast anywhere on the package? Look on page 80, there is a pic of the ones I used. Not sure where the acetone smell is coming from. I want to figure it out, but not sure where it would be coming from. :drunk:

SFGiantsFan925 said:
Those are pretty much exactly the same ones that I bought. Does it say yeast anywhere on the package? Look on page 80, there is a pic of the ones I used. Not sure where the acetone smell is coming from. I want to figure it out, but not sure where it would be coming from. :drunk:

Ok, I looked back at your picture and those are the same ones I have now. They should be right even if they don't mention yeast on the package.
I noticed someone on that same page said they used those exact balls and they worked. I'll probably be starting a batch with them in a week or so.

Thanks. Anyone try doing this with a brown rice? Not sure if sushi comes in brown but have some jasmine. Just wondering if it would work.
I've got some going as part of a 6 grain experiment. It is producing liquid, but very slowly.

I forgot I had the sweet rice, so added it to the experiment after the initial post.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/ma...un-different-361095/index113.html#post4993059
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/ma...un-different-361095/index116.html#post4997209
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/ma...un-different-361095/index120.html#post5019259

So I am throwing my hat into this. I used my iodophored Mr beer fermenter, about 8 cups of steamed jasmine rice, and 4 Vietnamese yeast balls.

My process was to first rinse then soak the rice for 2 hours, then put in cooker until done. I am essentially making the rice the same way that I make it when I eat it. I then take the rice out to cool, covered. Meanwhile, I pulverized the balls (shudders) in the food ninja (waited until wife went to bed to avoid inquiry) Then I spooned in rice and yeast and then mixed it in by hand. I just sealed it normally without cheese cloth. I feel the gap already in the Mr Beer lid to vent C02 should be adequate. This all went into a warm dark closet. I have made a pact with myself not to even peek until 1 month!

I am disheartened to hear all the unhelpful people in Asian markets. I would suggest the direct approach. Explaining what you are trying to do, rather than just what you are looking for. I have a Chinese friend at work and he is looking forward to my efforts, though he claims to not generally drink, and if so, avoids his native beverages entirely.

I am planning on pasteurizing and possibly back sweetening with some mango juice or whatnot. Any idea what 8 cups of cooked rice will yield?

8 days later, and I can't see anything happening. Nor does it really smell like anythig except cooked, jasmine rice... Any thoughts?

Anyone happen to know of a korean source (I mean name of the sold item rather than Yeast Balls) for the yeast? I found some wafer looking japanese rice cakes but they don't label yeast and are very dough-like. Strangely we have a super tiny asian market and an extremely crazy stocked not to mention huge korean store.

I went back and looked at your picture again, the english ingredients may not mention yeast, but the chinese on there basically does - and is the same four characters that I have on my yeast balls where the english ingredients are only "yeast".

First two characters are "above+sea" = "dry"
Third character means wine, the fourth character I haven't studied before but I've seen associated with wine starters for fermentation. So I'd say those four characters together mean dry wine yeast starter.

Just looked it up, fourth character means "rice cake"
So dry, wine, rice cake - the fact that the character for wine is there would be enough for me to call it good.

The only item I was able to find at the Korean store was a (Hara)Mochi Iiyo -6P-(Japanese Rice Cake). Will post the pics soon if anyone happens to be able to read them but while they label it as glutinous rice powder, salt, and citric acid I can find nowhere (in English) that mentions yeast (although the label was added at the store). Going to get stuck trying them out eaten first but will save a few to try just in case.

That said and I know I'm probably overthinking this... Doesn't Miso Paste contain the Koji mold and Yeast as a primary ingredient? I wonder if you could culture it from this (although I can't imagine a good finished product fermented with a tablespoon of miso paste ;) ).

Stevo2569 said:

So I tried the last runnings beer with yeast ball pitch today. Don't know what the OG was. Probably pretty low. It taste very similiar to the daddy batch pitched with notty. I'll keg both seperately on the same day this weekend and carb and do a taste test again. It tore through it in a couple days, even blowing over during primary phase. Notice the familiar yeast cake at the bottom.

image-2349770024.jpg

I found that 5 cups dry, after soaking for an hour and cooking 1:1, just BARELY fit in my gallon jar. I didn't attempt to tamp it down or anything, so it was still fluffy. After a few days it settled to fill about 2/3 of the jar though. But try six, worst that happens is you have some extra rice to eat! Or you drop some and are able to make up for it.

I found that 5 cups dry, after soaking for an hour and cooking 1:1, just BARELY fit in my gallon jar. I didn't attempt to tamp it down or anything, so it was still fluffy. After a few days it settled to fill about 2/3 of the jar though. But try six, worst that happens is you have some extra rice to eat! Or you drop some and are able to make up for it.
Either that, or you do a little squishification. I've done that with most of the 1 quart batches and it hasn't hurt anything.

8 days later, and I can't see anything happening. Nor does it really smell like anythig except cooked, jasmine rice... Any thoughts?
No liquification of the rice at all? No liquid mixed with the rice you can see on the sides of the jar?

What kind of temperature are you at?

I'm thinking of starting two batches, or one large one and putting some on plum and some on a few pinches of lavender.
Don't ask about the lavender.

I have a batch at 15 days right now, heading to the asian mkt. tomorrow may look for something interesting to rack on to.

I've thought about using those dried rose buds they sell at my local Asian market. I'm kinda skeptical about getting any real aroma out of them though.

Think I screwed up. I made my first batch today, but I forgot to let the rice cool. It was pretty hot when I added 2 smashed yeast balls in layers. I stirred after adding each layer of yeast. Should I get more yeast and add it or wait it out and hope for the best?

I would wait it out. I mixed my yeast and rice on a cookie sheet and it was still pretty warm when I did it. It seems to be going along great now since March 2nd.

Thanks OP (et al) for this excellent thread!

+1 Thai Jasmine = amazing stuff :D
+1 don't bother with Calrose (tossed my batch down the drain)

In case this info helps us all understand the factors involved for good batches, the mold question, etc...
4 cups dry rice, not soaked, cooked in a pot 20min with enough water to cover my fingernail (used online directions), just left it a couple hours uncovered to cool, 2 yeast balls. Yield was about 650-750ml (but I could have gotten a little more with a better extraction method).

I removed the gasket from a swing top jar and used cheesecloth - it definitely allowed air exchange. Started fermentation in low 60s then moved the jar next to the stove to get mid-upper 60s. I was a little worried about this because I've read kombucha brewers who claim that the kitchen is worse than the bathroom (didn't want to chime in on that discussion, though) and my container wasn't sealed. It was exposed to light the first 2 weeks (then people said light will ruin it & I covered it).

A layer of mold covered the top with a few small black spots. I would have thrown this out if someone just gave me the recipe and I hadn't read this thread! I just scraped off the top layer.

My only regret is that I'd still be sipping this stuff if I'd started another batch. I plan to do the next batch tomorrow in a dark place with a better sealed container.

Has anyone used a pressure cooker to cook the rice?

So I started mine a week ago. I used a 1/2 gal ball jar and this morning the liquid level is at the 3cup mark. It is mixed with rice but it is free flowing. The rice above that mark is wet and condensing. I might bottle before the 21 days so I can let some people taste it over Easter weekend.

No liquification of the rice at all? No liquid mixed with the rice you can see on the sides of the jar?

What kind of temperature are you at?

70deg. Actually, just today, I was skeptical and looked at the underside of the container (using a Mr Beer rig) and can see a healthy amount of liquid now, from the underside, maybe 150cc or so.... Also, the smell is a sweet wine like smell, so I guess I have a good thing going. No fuzzy stuff at all, in fact, the top looks as healthy and white as day one.

I'm on the 13th day (18 dry cups jasmine rice 1/1 soaked rice to water ratio, one 10g yeast ball per 3 cups) in my 3 1/2 gal fermenting bucket, and my air lock is STILL bubbling nicely... and has been since the first evening. Last batch was VERY sour smelling and tasting (Uses 3/1 water rice ratio) but this one smells absolutely AWESOME! Even my wife, who doesn't drink much, smelled it and got a big smile on her face last night. Not like anything else I've smelled. I'm thinking I really need to get another batch going. I'm thinking of doing enough to fill a 6 1/2 gal fermenting bucket, or buy a couple more of the 3 1/2 gal and use different rice. I just hate to do it without finding out for sure whether this is something I'll (And probably my buddies) enjoy drinking. If it tastes ANYTHING like it smells, my beer brewing is going to get cut way back.. lol. But not a fan if it is going to have that sour taste. Maybe that comes on later in the ferment? Might have to experiment in bottling/sampling at different time lengths while trying to keep consistent methods.

I keep hearing about the 21 day point, but there's so many variables like temperature, types of yeast balls, how many per cup of rice, type of rice, rice/water ratio, etc.. No way can that 21 day mark be the same for every combination. My problem is, same with my beer making, once I seal the top, I don't like to open it again until I go to bottle it. Nothing ticks me off like waiting all that time only to find out I have an infected batch, so I really try my best to limit air exposure.

I went to the local asian market. I asked the lady behind the counter if they carry yeast balls. She looked at me as if I were speaking some unfamiliar dialect. So I explained it is used to ferment rice into wine. Suddenly her eyes lit up and she declared "You need yeas baus"she laughed as she realized what she had just said was what I originally asked for. She repeated "ah yeas baus"

This is how i came across them i went to the asian market and asked the lady at the register and she looked at me like she could not understand me even though we were both speaking english. in frustration i started saying koji saki rice wine nothing worked so i left. i happend to go back the to pick up some kim chee a week later and the same lady was behind the counter with another lady. so i figured id give it another wack at it the other sent me right to a stock lady who knew exactly what i wanted the shame of it is the balls were on the top shelf of the checkout lane within 1 to 2 feet from where i was standing when i came in a week earlier.

Back