Making Pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make home made pizza all the time. The key is the dough/crust for sure. Just like beer....yeast makes it or breaks it. Do you have a standard dough recipe you use? Here's mine:

1.25 cups bread flour
2 tsp bread yeast rehydrated in .5 cups lukewarm water
pinch kosher salt

Mix everything in a stand mixer with dough hook attachment until a ball forms, then mix on medium for 12 minutes or until dough passes windowpane test. For best results, let rise 1 hour then place in refrigerator overnight, remove 1-2 hours prior to using. If you're in a hurry you can use it the same day after it doubles in size, but it wont be nearly as good. Bake on a screaming hot pizza stone with your oven on full blast for that brick oven taste.

Sure do, and i agree, it's all about the crust, if you cant make that correctly, the whole pizza sucks.

my dough recipe:
-2 cups Premium White Flour (from the amish market, it murders bread flour, it must be high gluten or something, but it's amazing, doesn't rip)
-1 cup filtered water (heated 25 secs in micro)
-1 tsp SAF red instant yeast (awesome yeast, beats fleishmans by a long shot)
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 Tbs EVOO
-garlic powder to taste

mix on speed 4 in kitchen aid mixer with dough hook until dough is a soft ball and sticks a little to the bottom. spinkle with evoo, let rise for AT LEAST an hour, 2 hours is better if you have the time. No need to refrigerate, but you can, doesn't make a difference for my dough. Stretch, put it on parchment paper, make the pie, bake on a pizza stone that's been sitting on the bottom rack of the oven at 550F for at least half an hour. cook exactly 9 minutes.

I have to stress the importance of the flour tho. I've used at least a dozen types and brands of flour, only the Amish flour makes excellent crust for me every time

No doubt the crust can make or break it but I think the sauce is the most important ingredient. I make mine from scratch just like my mom did. IMHO it is the best sauce I've ever had. :) No I won't share the recipe, mostly because I really don't have one. I learned from Mom and use the same technique. No measuring! As for crust quite honestly my luck with pizza crust is about the same as I have with Pasty crust. NONE!
I could make two batches back to back and have one be the best I ever made and the second be the worst.

i understand not sharing the recipe, but how about the method....?

...i'm telling you, the premium white flour from the amish is the $hit man

I only use oil to coat the dough ball after kneading so it doesn't dry out while rising. Oil in the dough will shorten the gluten chains giving you a more crumbly interior crust. If you use no oil, knead until it passes windowpanes test and let it rise slowly overnight (fridge) you will end up with a crust that is crispy on the outside and light but chewy on the inside, with lots of flavor. It's all about developing the gluten, and letting the yeast ferment the dough to develop flavors.

I don't find this to be true, the oil in my dough does not make my crust crumbly. My crust is crisp on the bottom, chewy, airy on the edges, it's perfect. I stress that it's the type of flour that makes your crust like that.

I make my own dough when I make pizza because I only like it very thin and crackery. I have to use a food processor to grind the dough because it is very dry. Rolling it out is an ordeal, too.

I dock it and then onto a pizza screen. I bake the bare crust for a few minutes before I add the fixings.

Anyhoo, that's how I make a thin and crispy.

if u use a stretch your dough thin and use a stone, ur crust can be thin and crackery. plus u can bake the pie all in one step instead of the crust first. I hated the pizza stone b4 i figured out to use parchment paper, now i consider it the only way for someone w/o a pizza oven to make a decent thin crust. instead of getting heated from the air around the pizza which is not a good conduit of heat, the pizza stone is 550 degrees and bakes the crust very well b/c the dough is in direct contact with something that is extremely hot and the temp of the stone stays constant

I used to make pizza all the time and actually worked in a pizza shop when I was younger. I got frustrated because the dough always came out too dense. I used Fleischman (sp?) packets from the grocery store. I also let it rise, beat it down, and then let it rise again. I didn't try the overnight method though. Will letting it rise slowly overnight make it lighter? I also used at least some olive oil in the dough, maybe that was making it denser as well? What brand of yeast do you guys use? Anyone tried Red Star (yes they make bakers yeast as well)? A guy at my work makes awesome bread from yeast starters he keeps in his fridge. He has a sourdough starter and a French starter. Seriously way better bread than I've even ever come close to making. He also makes pizza dough from both starters, I've never had it but I'm sure it's damn good.

I find SAF instant yeast to be far superior to fleishmans. I think they use it at many pie joints too.

any of ya'll ever use DME instead of sugar in your dough? I see AB's grilled pizza recipe uses it...

I'll probably try it this weekend...

i don't put any sugar whatsoever in my dough, it all comes from the flour. but u got me thinking....

so how about sauce? whose got a good sauce recipe?

I like this, it's simple easy and I always have the ingredients on hand:

1 small can tomato paste, +filtered water to get to sauce consistency
kosher salt
black pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
dried basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano
dried chili flakes
olive oil
(optional) white sugar if you want sweet sauce

simmer together for 20 minutes. use a pinch of each herb/seasoning to taste.

olive oil, diced shallots, crushed garlic, kosher salt, crushed black pepper, crushed red pepper, and italian seasoning. Cooked for a few....

28oz can of crushed tomatoes
14 oz can of fine diced tomatoes, drained
12 oz can of tomato paste

More italian seasoning and a pinch of brown sugar.

Simmer for a long time....

Enough for 2 12-inch pizzas and a batch of spaghetti sauce (add more basil and oregano for the spaghetti sauce)

Just had a pizza that was made on a Big Green Egg and it was fantastic! Super high temp allowed the stone to get really hot.

Everyone has their own idea what the perfect crust is, it's all about finding the perfect crust for your technique, oven, and tastes.

I've had great pies from every area and I don't think I could ever pick a favorite style. I've been trying different recipes for years and have my own favorites for different styles.

Lately for a generic thin crust (not deep dish) sauce, I've been using the slow cooker on low for half the day to make a double batch. It's a different recipe when I have fresh ingredients, but I'll take a can of diced tomatoes, can of tomato sauce, and other "stuff" and let it cook a while. I taste it every hour or so till it gets to where it needs to be.

My "stuff" for sauce normally includes fresh garlic, anchovy paste, granulated onions, sometimes roasted garlic, fresh herbs, pinch of red pepper flakes, sugar/salt/pepper to taste. I usually end up making way more sauche than I need and freeze the rest for a later cook

I don't have a single sauce recipe I go to, it changes on the dough as well as what toppings will go on. Lately my favorite 'za has been bbq sauce, mexican cheese blend, and pulled pork on it.

if u use a stretch your dough thin and use a stone, ur crust can be thin and crackery. plus u can bake the pie all in one step instead of the crust first. I hated the pizza stone b4 i figured out to use parchment paper, now i consider it the only way for someone w/o a pizza oven to make a decent thin crust. instead of getting heated from the air around the pizza which is not a good conduit of heat, the pizza stone is 550 degrees and bakes the crust very well b/c the dough is in direct contact with something that is extremely hot and the temp of the stone stays constant

Alright mac, I have a stone and I'll give it a go Sunday. Thanks for giving me a push.

I don't want to turn this into "what's the best commercial pizza" thread, but Jon from Fremont- have you had Me & Ed's pizza? Back in the 80's we still had them in Idaho and I remember that sauce to be one of the best I'd ever had- and their crust was great too, in my book. Wish they wouldn't have disappeared.

Here is my current sauce recipe, which is nothing like Me & Ed's, but I'll eventually hone in on it. Note the addition of salt, but not very much - I was concerned about salt intake at the time I did this batch. Out of five stars I'd give it a three. I think it would benefit from a puree maybe.

1 tbsp olive oil
30 romas, peeled, rough-chopped
7 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp salt

Simmer out excess liquid until it becomes dense, freeze.

I'm also enamored with the idea of a brick pizza oven in my back yard, but I haven't crossed the threshold.

pizzahacker's rig is pretty cool! Might be a great (and portable) alternative.

My simple recipe is

8 ounces of flour including 1 oz of high gluten flour
4.8 oz water at 120f
1 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp pizza yeast
1/2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1/2 TBSP sugar
1/2 TBSP honey

Mix dry ingredients and liquid ingredients seperatly.
Put half of dry and all liquid ingredients in mixer with dough hook and mix on slow to med speed until fully hydrated.
Add remaining flour mix a little at a time until all added. Continue mixing until dough feels right, for me that is about 15 minutes. Brush with OO and put in refrigerator overnight.
Remove 2 hours before using to let rise.
Makes one 9 inch pizza crust or thinner if you like for a larger crust.
I use my stone at 550f for 60 minutes and try to limit the toppings.

I did a pie on the BBQ grill using my stone. Was a bad idea as the flame directly touched the stone. Cooked the pizza fast but burnt the crust.
Now I use a piece of metal to deflect the flame so it don't touch the stone directly. Works a charm.

This is the recipe I have been using with good success lately:

1 1/2 cups warm water
4 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp olive oil
2 1/2 tsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast

In the Kitchen Aid bowl, dissolve the salt and sugar in the warm water. Add the oil and flour and mix with the paddle until rough dough forms. Change to the dough hook and add the yeast. Knead until the dough passes the windowpane test.

I have been putting my dough directly into the fridge for its cold proof overnight. I will have to try letting it rise for an hour or two before going in to chill. I get two pies or a pie and two calzones from this recipe. I don't currently have a pizza stone, so I cook it on a regular pan. I have been meaning to go get some quarry tiles to use but just haven't gotten around to it.

For my sauce, I use crushed tomatoes as a base and add Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar to taste. Simmer until it is the consistency I want and then right on the pizza.

I use bread flour from Costco ~ bought a 50lb sack since I am baking all of our bread now. I also get my yeast from Costco. I use the Red Star active dry yeast in the 2lb package. I put some in a small jar in the fridge and then foodsave the rest until I need to refill my jar.

My wife and I have been making homemade pizza on and off for years. Recently, we've been using the bread machine to make pizza dough, but we do have a KitchenAide mixer, and some of the dough recipes look very interesting. The next time we make pizza, I think I'll try one of them! And we do make our sauce from scratch, and it is yummy!

glenn514:mug:

Alright mac, I have a stone and I'll give it a go Sunday. Thanks for giving me a push.

just make sure you buy a peel (i have both wooden and metal, the metal one is awesome, but harder to find)

AND make sure you put your pizza on parchment paper, then put that on the peel, then just slide the pie with the paper right onto the stone. The paper will get really dark brown in the oven but it's fine, it's not going cause any problems unless you leave it in there for half an hour, in which case, the pie would suck anyway.

good luck. let us know how it turns out for you

I don't want to turn this into "what's the best commercial pizza" thread, but Jon from Fremont- have you had Me & Ed's pizza? Back in the 80's we still had them in Idaho and I remember that sauce to be one of the best I'd ever had- and their crust was great too, in my book. Wish they wouldn't have disappeared.

Here is my current sauce recipe, which is nothing like Me & Ed's, but I'll eventually hone in on it. Note the addition of salt, but not very much - I was concerned about salt intake at the time I did this batch. Out of five stars I'd give it a three. I think it would benefit from a puree maybe.

1 tbsp olive oil
30 romas, peeled, rough-chopped
7 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp salt

Simmer out excess liquid until it becomes dense, freeze.

holy crap, are you making a gallon of sauce?

I'm also enamored with the idea of a brick pizza oven in my back yard, but I haven't crossed the threshold.

pizzahacker's rig is pretty cool! Might be a great (and portable) alternative.

dude, that's like a dream any pizza maker has (including me). just chillin outside on the patio, getting the fire stoked and baking a pie in the evening while drinking a beer, family is out there eagerly awaiting the pie....it's kinda like the dream of owning a microbrewery, only much more achievable.
......but u know, i got to thinking....unless i was making several pies, it would probably be a waste getting the oven all stoked up and hot for just one or two pies.....maybe not tho

I did a pie on the BBQ grill using my stone. Was a bad idea as the flame directly touched the stone. Cooked the pizza fast but burnt the crust.
Now I use a piece of metal to deflect the flame so it don't touch the stone directly. Works a charm.

i don't know how to do it in a gas oven, mine is electric. but if that's the case, i would say the simple solution is to move the stone up to a higher rack

just make sure you buy a peel (i have both wooden and metal, the metal one is awesome, but harder to find)

AND make sure you put your pizza on parchment paper, then put that on the peel, then just slide the pie with the paper right onto the stone. The paper will get really dark brown in the oven but it's fine, it's not going cause any problems unless you leave it in there for half an hour, in which case, the pie would suck anyway.

good luck. let us know how it turns out for you

Most times I just go with the stone and make the pie on my metal peel. It sometimes makes it hard to get off the peel, but a little dusting of flour and constant moving the pie on the peel keeps it from sticking.
Sometimes I use parchment paper, especially if I'm loading the pie with toppings.

holy crap, are you making a gallon of sauce?

LOL! It's one of the things I use my leftover Romas for in the fall. After it boils all day it gets nice and dense, then I just jam it in some small tupperware containers and freeze it. Lasts me quite a while.

100_5221.jpg

100_5231.jpg

Pizza rules! :mug:

Now if I could get a worthy crust going, I'd be pretty jacked.

Oh crap, my mouth is watering right now. Man that looks soooo good.

LOL! I hear ya. I want pizza for breakfast.

But- OOPS! I see onion in there! And meat! That's an old pic of spaghetti sauce. Sorry! :eek:

Mine came out nice tonight. The stone got a little too hot so the bottom of the crust got a little more cooked than I would've liked, but still really good. My first try with the overnight slow rise in the fridge...

Pizza_2011_04_17.jpg

Back