Making My System Mobile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I built the "DIY Electric Brewery" 240V 50A system, and I'm trying to figure out how to make my system mobile for Big Brew Day this year. The problem that I have is, I know the only types of generators that will be available are 240V 30A. For the GFCI, I built the Spa Panel system, and I was wondering if there was some kind of converter cable that I could make that would go in between the 240V 30A generator and the 240V 50A spa panel to make this all work. Does anyone have suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks.

You could get a cord to go between the spa panel and the generator, problem is if you start to draw more than 30A you will overload the generator. So you will want to only connect one element at a time to prevent this. You just need to know what style plug is on the generator and wire it to the spa panel. It could be done, not advisable to connect a 50A device into a 30A system.

I'm using tri clamp hardware for my heating elements so I can revert back to using the pots on propane burners for "Big Brews" and brewing at other folks houses. We have sort of a neighborhood group that brews together and we try to share some of the costs of supplies and equipment. Not all members of the group are as enthusiastic about moving to electric (nor do they have the electrical supply) so I want to be able to get the HLT and BK back to propane configuration. Thought it would be nice to be able to take the elements off the pots and clamp a cap over the tri clover port for brewing off-site over propane.

That's smart. Looks like I'm going to have to see if I can find a generator that fits my needs that I can rent that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

I was just looking into this over the weekend. Try searching for a 30A/50A dogbone connector. You just need to figure out what plug you'd need for the generator.

As far as the 50A panel on a 30A service, depending on your wiring, you may be able to do a quick mod with some extra contactors so you definitely can't turn both elements on at the same time.

Back