making Munich, pilsner, Vienna malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Brewer

The mad brewer
Reaction score
Want to get my grains ready for a Oktoberfest which calls for Vienna, Munich, an pilsner.

I have some Carmel already and lots of barley I m just trying to find a site with instructions on malting the above? I have a malt time chart but its more for if you have a malt house, any Suggestions? Also the instructions I have for making like a Munich malt says to soak 8 hours and rest 8 hours and do this for 3 days which seems way to wet is anybody have any thoughts

well with malting your own, don't expect to much in the way of consistency...

judging from what your saying the 'recipe' calls for just think artisticaly...so like malt the grain, dry it...then kiln about 70% at 160f, 20% at something like 170-180f.. and the other 10% kiln at 200f?

would be my best guess....

That's kind of what I was thinking I just need to Maybe figure out the Vienna malt

For the Munich malt I'm going to Dry it for just 24 hours then 12 hours at 160 and 3 hours at 200, The processes I seen suggest a stewing effect in effect like if you were doing a caramel malt

So I'm just gonna use a 5 and a 1/2 pound based malt, Then 20% Vienna and 20% Munich , Along with the Carmel malt already have and it calls for aroma malt which I'm not sure but I might just get that from the Brew store

I think I'm going to follow the same process for the Vienna malt but just at a lower temperature

Keep in mind that current style Oktoberfest is an American invention. The beer they actually serve at Oktoberfest in Munich is Festbier.

The American version is sweeter, much more caramel like.

Keep in mind that current style Oktoberfest is an American invention. The beer they actually serve at Oktoberfest in Munich is Festbier.

The American version is sweeter, much more caramel like.
Yes thats the one I have grown to love.

Plus I new to the making the Munich and Vienna malts so. Will be happy with just something drinkable this time around. I am slowly improving my craft.

Back