Making Grappa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farside

Reaction score
I bought got 150lb of Muscat grapes I'll be making wine from. My press is for cider and made from 5 gallon pails. It didn't do a great job at pressing the freshly crushed grapes so I too the pomace and put it into 2 5 gallon pails, added 1.5 gallons of water, and 2.5lb of sugar.

I'll be fermenting with lalvin 1118 because I want a super dry wash.

I live in a cold climate so I'm going to do things differently using a technique I stumbled on last year dealing with a problematic apple pulp wash.

Instead of doing a stripping run, I'm going to freeze the fermented wash outside and then slowly thaw it to drain off the concentrate and separate out the pomace.

After a few cycles of freeze and thaw I will have low wines at around 30% abv.

I'll then do one slow spirit run as usual using the jacked wine.

Just pressed the skins and unfortunately the wine is too good to make grappa with. I do have some concord grapes I have going so maybe when I press those I can use them for grappa.

Just pressed the skins and unfortunately the wine is too good to make grappa with. I do have some concord grapes I have going so maybe when I press those I can use them for grappa.
I was under the impression grappa was made from the leftovers after pressing grapes for wine. Pulp, skins, stems - that kinda stuff. Like you make wine, and then somehow ferment all the leftovers and distill. Or can you just make it by distilling wine?

I was under the impression grappa was made from the leftovers after pressing grapes for wine. Pulp, skins, stems - that kinda stuff. Like you make wine, and then somehow ferment all the leftovers and distill. Or can you just make it by distilling wine?
I was making white wine and you press the grapes immediately but my press didn't do a good job so the pomace was wet and chunky.

So I added a little water and some sugar to offset the water I added and pitched some yeast. You're correct it isn't how traditional grappa is made but I have no idea what else to call it lol.

So I added a little water and some sugar to offset the water I added and pitched some yeast. You're correct it isn't how traditional grappa is made but I have no idea what else to call it lol.
I've only had grappa a few times - my brother had an Italian buddy named Luka who used to break it out sometimes. Tasted kinda like fingernail polish remover smells.

Yup, grappa is made from pomace. And yes, it often tastes like nail polish remover. In Georgia, they have a very similar product "Cha Cha", often even made at home. Again: nail polish remover. But there are good examples as well, in both cultures.

Distilled wine is called "Brandy".

Back