Making fresh pumpkin puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislehr

Reaction score
There are tons of threads about pumpkin beers, pumpkin recipes, and how to brew with pumpkin this time of the year. This thread is NOT answering any of those.

This thread is my attempt to help those who enjoy being "closer" to their ingredients the opportunity to avoid using canned pumpkin.

I recognize and appreciate there are many reasons why using canned might work. Consistent results, less work, pasteurized and sterile canning, etc.

Of the above, the only risk IMO is sterility, so I will NOT be racking beer onto this puree, I plan on using in mash and in boil.

OK, enough set up - let's get on with it.

First - Pumpkins! I have bought 4 this year. 3 little sugar or pie pumpkins, and 1 larger one - was just labeled medium pumpkin at the local store, so not sure on variety.

5b9dd714.jpg

• Preheat oven to 400* F
  • Slice pumpkin in half (equator, not at the stem)
  • If you can, pop the stem off, if not, wrap in aluminum so it doesnt burn and stink up the house!
  • Clean the seeds and stringy crap from the inside. When you make jackolanterns, you leave a lot of it in there, for this, use some elbow grease and a spoon and get as much out as you can without cutting into the meat.
  • In some cooking trays (ones with lips are HIGHLY recommended for catching the juices) arrange the pumpkins SKIN UP!

Older pic, but like this:
IMG_4580.JPG

• Cook for 60 minutes @ 400 * F
  • When done, these are super hot. Cut them in half with a sharp knife, allowing steam to escape and allow to cool until you are comfortable handling them.
  • Now, you can use a knife and fork and peel or cut off the skin, chop up the pieces into manageable chunks, and use a blender or food processor to puree them.
  • Once cooled to room temp, you can fridge in tupperware or vacuum seal and freeze until a later day to brew or make pie, curry, etc.

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

I took the following measurements on this pumpkin:

Start weight 11lbs
Finished puree weight, 7lbs, 9oz
SG: 1.028
pH: 5.6

looks nice! makes me want to make a pumpkin ale... what recipe are you using it with?

Back