Making copper dip tube - any special rules?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MurderMittenBrewing

Reaction score
Other than using lead free solder is there anything I should be careful about? Can I use flux as long as I wash it off really well after?

Here's my design:

Keggle wall - 3/8" SS Nipple - 3/8" FPT to 1/2" MPT brass - 1/2" FPT to 1/2" copper - 90 degree elbow (straight down for about 1") - 90 degree elbow (over to center of keggle) - 90 degree elbow down - 1/2" to 1/2" FPT - Bazooka T screen (with 1/2 MPT)

I should mention that the nipple on the inside of the keggle is about 3" above the weld line on the bottom of the keggle. My goal is to get the dip tube out of the way of my immersion chiller. I also want to be able to remove the Bazooka T screen so I can clean it.

Is that too many turns? Thanks!

i used a stainless compression fitting from Mcmaster so i have no idea...it seemed much simpler

I thought about trying to find stainless parts... but copper is so much cheaper and abundant. It seems like a lot of people use it, so I figured it would be ok.

Yes, you can use a water-based flux. Ask the clerk for the least caustic variety they carry, then soak it in industrial strength cleaner and very hot water, before rinsing anally with more scalding water. Easier still, you could use a short piece of soft copper, bend an arc to the bottom of keggle, then attach to your keggle fitting with a brass fitting that is compression by thread. These parts are readily available at any respectable hardware store.

Thanks for the input, Sea!

Would PBW work as a cleaner, or would you suggest something stronger?

I thought about going straight out and then down, but I'm still brewing 5 gallon bathes and the pipe would get in the way of my immersion chiller. I think my current plan is to just go straight down from the nipple and install a DIY Bazooka on the bottom. I may have to tip the keggle to get the most amount of liquid out of it, but I think that'll be worth it.

Yes, you can use a water-based flux. Ask the clerk for the least caustic variety they carry, then soak it in industrial strength cleaner and very hot water, before rinsing anally with more scalding water. Easier still, you could use a short piece of soft copper, bend an arc to the bottom of keggle, then attach to your keggle fitting with a brass fitting that is compression by thread. These parts are readily available at any respectable hardware store.

I agree, except with the "industrial strength cleaner" part... You may do more harm then good, as who knows what people might be able to obtain in regards to industrial cleansers.

Make sure the part is rinsed well after it's done.. you can soak it in a boiling water/vinegar solution to clean up the copper, and that's all you really need to do. You can soak it in PBW if you want, but I don't believe it's necessary at that point.

Yes, you can use a water-based flux. Ask the clerk for the least caustic variety they carry, then soak it in industrial strength cleaner and very hot water, before rinsing anally with more scalding water.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Why all the fuss over soldered copper tubing? Many thousands of homes are built with soldered copper plumbing every year. No industrial strength cleaners or scalding hot water required.

Run a cleaning brush through it and rinse well. That's more than happens in a new home.
Bill

Latest posts

Back