Making black stuff during the post LME boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lispnik

Reaction score
I’m mixing it like nuts during the boil, but this black flake stuff is being produced. I ate some and it doesn’t have a taste. When I scrape the kettle bottom I don’t see any new flakes. This is my 4th extract and haven’t come across it before. It’s a hefeweizen recipe from mybrew store. Guess I’ll strain it out. Would be curious to find out tho.

any ideas?

Attachments

• 75313F99-74C6-493A-B5DF-82ABD12A1693.jpeg
    75313F99-74C6-493A-B5DF-82ABD12A1693.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • 13DF01CE-1206-4FAE-A796-7D3A3E6B2E89.jpeg
    13DF01CE-1206-4FAE-A796-7D3A3E6B2E89.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Could the lme be getting scorched in the bottom of the kettle. If you are using a propane burner, maybe shut it off while adding the extract and get it stirred in and fully dissolved before turning it back on.

+1 @JugDog ^

It could very well be scorched/burnt extract. I've never seen it that bad as your example, but at times I've had some dark brown residue stuck to the bottom of the kettle after adding extracts. During the boil, scraping the bottom well while stirring could help prevent that. You'd do the same when making soup.

I sometimes get a thin, gummy, sticky, white/grayish residue in a 6" diameter area in the middle of my kettle's bottom. That's due to the heating area of my induction burner, even with a thick tri-ply bottom.

Use a long plastic brew spoon or a wooden paddle.

Back