Making a "still" high ABV beer not by desire.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kartracer2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, preface:
I have been working on a high ABV "beer" that's just that, "beer". If I have to give a title it would be a imperial cream ale. It started out as a NB kit (extract) with a ABV of 7.5 % and I have it at abt 9% with adds of my own doing. This is the 4 th version of this beer.
I started using Lallamand Kveik dry yeast because the first time it was hot (Iowa summer) and already hot in the house and was also looking for speed. I have used it for all of the versions of this beer.
This last attempt I forgot to add any wirlfloc to the boil and it pissed me off because i really thought this version would be the last improved version. I have to add it's tough to get cold break when you don't cool to less than 100*, right?
OK, I'll have to add that I also used a saved yeast slurry instead of a new pitch. It started slower than a new pitch but still took less than 6 hrs to rock and roll.
Fermenting @ 90-93* the beer took a much longer time to finish that the first 3 attempts (3 days vs. 8 days) but I figured it was a yeast slurry issue. (age, quantity, qualty, ,something else) So as I gave it a longer time to finish I was hoping it would clear better but it diddn't.
So now I'm at almost at 21 days from pitching yeast but I really like the way the beer tastes with out carbing. It's still cloudy and I doubt it will clear. ( I haven't much luck with this yeas really flocking well) So my question is,> Have any of you made a beer that you liked that drinks well with out carbing and how do you package it?
I know there's a few issues here and you can chime in on any of those too.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

Good beer will taste good without the carb. If a beer taste bad without carb, it’s most likely going to taste bad with a carb.

when you ask how do you package it, your answers will be in bottles or kegs. I prefer kegging unless it’s a mix fermentation with Brett or other bugs.

I guess I should have asked if it might package differently. I'm thinking just using 1.75L booze bottles (plastic) or the like.. If I like it without the carbing I just thought no sense waisting caps and such. I am a bottler at this point.
How long might it last without carbing using those bigger bottles?
Joel B.

I don't think carbonation is an effective method of preservation, so I'd expect your "still beer" to have the same shelf life as its carbonated cousin...

Cheers!

@day_trippr I guess I really didn't think that carbing was a preservative as such. More so if it needed to be handled differently. I just find it strange that I really like this batch with out carbing it. The dumb thing is why, flat beer isn't a (good) thing right?. I really like this taste with out the the carb "bite". It's a flat beer but doesn't really taste "flat".
Just dumb thoughts I guess,
Joel B.

lol! I confess that - before I got my first carbonation cap - I would save what didn't fit in a keg in a soda bottle, chill it down, and enjoy the pour or two, in spite of the relative flatness. I'm not sure that would work with just any style, but back then it was my home-grown-hopped pales and IPAs, and it was usually less than a quart, so not enough to become a boring thing.

In any case, beer will carry the level of carbonation corresponding to the warmest temperature it "saw" once fully fermented. That can be as high as 0.8 volumes of CO2 - which isn't all that "still". One would expect a low but "definitely there" level of carbonic bite - which can make leftovers enjoyable...

Cheers!

One would expect a low but "definitely there" level of carbonic bite - which can make leftovers enjoyable...
LOL, made me think of a (left over) beer setting on my bed side table a day later, open but still full. :bott: That would have been a "BMC" back then, but yeah.
This beer has been sitting @ 90* for 15 days then I let it cool to abt 69-70*. It's about a 9-10% beer and has a warming taste to it, I think that's why it's OK on the palette. (?)
Regardless I'm going to "bottle" it without priming in big bottles. I can store them in the fridge that way. I have to free up my fermonster for the Alaskan Amber clone that's going to get brewed up Sunday. I hope that turns out OK, I really like that beer, hope the clone works out.
Joel B.

Latest posts

Back